Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Chronic Flame outs again... and again... >

Chronic Flame outs again... and again...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chronic Flame outs again... and again...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Bigedmond
That is the reason i stopped running OS motors. I had 3, 2 vspec and 1 speed get the crack in 1 piece motor mounts.

I am surprised now one mentioned an obvious possibility. FUEL. you live in AZ, as i live in NV. the heat were we live kills fuel.
When you say "kills fuel" are you meaning to relate that to how the case cracked? Just curious what you mean so I can try to prevent it.

-Don
Old 08-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

He wasn't saying fuel cracked the case. Fuel lefted out in direct sunlight and high humid makes the fuel draw moisture. Another thing dump the temp gun thats fine if you wa starting out in nitro. But by now you should be able to tune by sight, sound, smell and reading the glow plug.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by pdmustgt
He wasn't saying fuel cracked the case. Fuel lefted out in direct sunlight and high humid makes the fuel draw moisture. Another thing dump the temp gun thats fine if you wa starting out in nitro. But by now you should be able to tune by sight, sound, smell and reading the glow plug.
Ah... ok. Actually I knew that about fuel. I keep my fuel in a cooler just to keep it out of the sun and somewhat insulated from heat.

And thanks for the tip about tuning and I will take your advice. Actually I learned A LOT though this process. I was able to learn and observe several great engine tuners and none of them used the temp gun as you meantion. I learned how apply techniques in tuning as you describe. Now I just have to practice it... once I get my engine back.

Thank you,
-Don
Old 08-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Yea, i was just saying that heat can kill the fuel.

Cracking blocks are the reason i stopped running os motors. I mean, almost nine hundred bucks of motors rendered worthless because of a block crack inside its first gallon. Sure i can ebay new blocks, but they will just crack to. So i switched to GRP. Orion is the next motor on my list to try out.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Tech Adept

Yea, i was just saying that heat can kill the fuel.

Cracking blocks are the reason i stopped running os motors. I mean, almost nine hundred bucks of motors rendered worthless because of a block crack inside its first gallon. Sure i can ebay new blocks, but they will just crack to. So i switched to GRP. Orion is the next motor on my list to try out.
What do you think of Novarossi or Gotech?
Old 08-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Novarossi engines are fantastic. Go's seem to have widespread tuning issues. Just my two cents. I've experienced the headache of a Go motor and it was enough to scare me and everyone else who tried to help me off.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Novarossi engines are excellent, Definately recommend them

From what I hear about OS Engines, I will never even think about them again, :P
Old 08-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Don Duct
Ah... ok. Actually I knew that about fuel. I keep my fuel in a cooler just to keep it out of the sun and somewhat insulated from heat.

And thanks for the tip about tuning and I will take your advice. Actually I learned A LOT though this process. I was able to learn and observe several great engine tuners and none of them used the temp gun as you meantion. I learned how apply techniques in tuning as you describe. Now I just have to practice it... once I get my engine back.

Thank you,
-Don
Ok, you know I wasn't trying to dump on you about the temp gun.
Thats great you are learning
Old 08-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by pdmustgt
Ok, you know I wasn't trying to dump on you about the temp gun.
Thats great you are learning
Oh ya... I assumed you were not dumping on me... I don't take anything offensive in forums because it's too easy to read too much in to words.

Also, you’re right on... I did think you used temp guns more in tuning, but now I know it's very much the opposite. It seems the only thing you use a temp gun for is to just make sure your not burning up your engine due to lack of tuning knowledge or as a tool for breaking in engines. I now know temp guns have nothing to do with actually tuning your engine.

Thank you,

-Don
Old 08-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheesecake
dont bother with anything else just replace the rod and i bet your problems will be solved. when the vspec rod gets slop it causes the engine to flame out. replace the rod seal the backplate and you should be good to go
I've been having same issues and my boy said that my con rod was prob shot.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

definitely novarossi!!!
Old 08-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I personally have never ran a Go Tech, or Nova. I have nothing against them.

I definitely agree, that using the temp gun should only be used to verify what you see, feel and hear. at my track, we have a father son team, and they only tune by temp. I have tried, along with others trying to get it across to them that temp should not be what they go by.

I think one of these days i am going to write an extensive blog on engine tuning.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I personally have never ran a Go Tech, or Nova. I have nothing against them.

I definitely agree, that using the temp gun should only be used to verify what you see, feel and hear. at my track, we have a father son team, and they only tune by temp. I have tried, along with others trying to get it across to them that temp should not be what they go by.

I think one of these days i am going to write an extensive blog on engine tuning.
Please do
Old 08-17-2008, 01:35 AM

RB bud!!!
Old 08-17-2008, 04:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

After seeing a GRP go last night , I would definately say they RIP !
they will run with a OS all day long , both on milage and down the straights!
As for the Ex-Tech ...... I am not impressed ..... I have yet to see one that will run with a 421B Nova or get over 7 minutes on a tank! This is a big issue now a days, and you need to get the run time out of them. I run 6 minute Quallies with a first lap run to the line so you need to get at least 6:45 run time ! And they still run out of fuel ? OS and GRP easily make this window, and a properly tuned RB C6 will , but most others are cutting it very close.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.