Search

777 sp2 too much on power steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 02:26 AM
Gen
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default 777 sp2 too much on power steering

anyone got tips for 777 sp2 with too much on power steering ,it will turn on a dime ,too touchy for me ,,i am using stock blue springs ,,22 steering block ,,have got toe in ,,,have changed antisquat plate to 1 degree ,,played with ackerman still can get rid of ,,have used negative curve rate on steering ,,any help appreciated
Old 11-07-2007, 02:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Max carster and heavier diff oil in front...hope it helps
Old 11-07-2007, 05:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by XXXRAY
Max carster and heavier diff oil in front...hope it helps
Those things would help in an off power corner entry situation i think, but not in an ON POWER one as i understand things.

heavier diff oil would increase drive to the wheels and an increase in front caster would also give more steering in the middle and exit of a corner which is when i'd guess you'd be "on power"

You need more weight transfere to the rear, so you can try increasing the droop setting at the front to allow more travel, possibly softer shock oil although this will speed up weight transfere entering the corner as well, a heavier spring on the front or softer on the rear(try softer rear 2nd), less toe out on the front ....

I think looking at your set-up as a whole and thinking about the problem is how i'd try and work out what to change. Also try to work out what ur buggy's doing well also as this will influence what you change...
Old 11-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

woops sorry my mistake as i read it wrong... my bad
Old 11-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Try 3-5-1 diff setup, that will really calm the car down, also go to 18* caster if you can. Also soften up the rear shock oil by 5wt. That should help. Let me know how it works out.

What is your complete setup Front to back?
Old 11-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Gen
Tech Regular

im running 50 front and 40 rear shock oils diffs are 7k 30k 5k
now i use heavier rear and center to balance power and push rear a bit as with lighter center all i get is spin ,,,using cobra engine ,,,and have used 22 steering blocks ,,,kyosho only come 20 and 22 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,most of the time i like power transfer but sometimes i hit a 180 degree turn hit the throttle half way and bang spin out ,,track is moderate grip ,,,
Old 11-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

WOW I can't believe that you can even drive that thing in a striaght line, WOW. First off ditch that diff setup and go with something a little more traditional, such as; (Front/Center/Rear)-5/7/2, 5/7/1, 7/7/2, 3/5/1. Leave everything else the same just change your diff setup. Then we will go from there, but you will notice a world of difference when you change your diffs, the car will be much easier to drive. Also with lightening up your center diff fluid, your car won't be as snappy and it will be better through rutted sections of the track.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Gen
oils diffs are 7k 30k 5k i hit a 180 degree turn hit the throttle half way and bang spin out ,,,,,
I was going to suggest more rear tow in, but then I saw you diff setup.....No wonder you spin out as soon as you hit the throttle!!!

I hear Kyosho's are a bit special in diff setup, 'cause they act twitchy, but you'll definitelly want front between 3 and 5K, center 5-10K and rear 1-3k.

As said, try 5-7-2 or similar and the car's behaviour will change drastically....wor up or down from there. Let us know your findings!!
Old 11-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've been running Kyosho's for years and if the car is twichy and spins out definately change the center diff and rear diff !! Change the center to 10k and the rear t0 1 or 2 k . Then if it still wants to spin out tow in the rear more, but I think you will like the way the car handles with 7/10/1. It will be a handful in the rough though ! For that you will need to drop center to 7k and the front to 5k leave the rear at 1k , I have found that to provide the best rear traction . You will also notice if the track you race on has good bite that your rear hub carriers will wear out WICKED fast ! If that's the case change them out to Mugen Pro-Spec rear hubs and use the outboard ball and links from the Mugen as well , your rig will be WAY more ajustable and hold up forever !
Old 11-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

+10 on a 5/7/1 diff setup.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Gen
Tech Regular

wow,,will try different oils,can i ask do you guys find that with 1k being so thin do you need to replace oil after every meet ,,because with 3 kids a wife ,and a few cars i only replace oils every couple of months ,,i think 2k might be ok ????????????,,,also if i alternate between a clay track and rally club grass track every week because thats what close to me what setup would you be more inclinded to use ,,obviosly mentioned was that lighter center better thru the rutted but what about front diffs what might heaier as opposed to lighter feel like ,,,,,,,,,,i will change oils during week and tell you of my findings after next weekend THANKS FOR ALL HELP
Old 11-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Gen
wow,,will try different oils,can i ask do you guys find that with 1k being so thin do you need to replace oil after every meet ,,because with 3 kids a wife ,and a few cars i only replace oils every couple of months ,,i think 2k might be ok ????????????,,,also if i alternate between a clay track and rally club grass track every week because thats what close to me what setup would you be more inclinded to use ,,obviosly mentioned was that lighter center better thru the rutted but what about front diffs what might heaier as opposed to lighter feel like ,,,,,,,,,,i will change oils during week and tell you of my findings after next weekend THANKS FOR ALL HELP
For starters,change to 5-7-2 or similar. It will more or less work on both tracks. After trying it out, you can make small adjustments in diff or toe/camber/upper arms/anti-roll bars, etc.....
Old 11-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Not trying to be the Tech Police, but if you ask a question like this in the existing Kyosho thread, you are way more likely to get a good answer, and faster too. This thread is just going to go dormant.

Now for my answer:

heavier middle diff oil = less on power steering

forget about all the other mumbo jumbo about ackerman, antisquat, bla bla bla you're just going to screw your car up my .02
Old 11-12-2007, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pitpop
Not trying to be the Tech Police, but if you ask a question like this in the existing Kyosho thread, you are way more likely to get a good answer, and faster too. This thread is just going to go dormant.

Now for my answer:

heavier middle diff oil = less on power steering

forget about all the other mumbo jumbo about ackerman, antisquat, bla bla bla you're just going to screw your car up my .02
Not to be a stickler for details but the answers you gave were given way up top.

I suppose he could post the question in the Kyosho thread and get 800 responses of diff oil changes instead of the paltry 20 he got here.

:P
Old 11-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

on the 1K in the rear you should be ok. I don't see you burning it up prematurely. When I use to run Losi I ALWAYS ran 1K in the rear and it would last as long as every other fluid in the other diffs. Definitely give the
5-7-1, 5-7-2, or 3-5-1 a try. All of those are great starting points.