Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

i think everywhere is sold out. Horizon says they are expecting them back in stock on wednesday tho.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

That would be great. I have much stuff to order this Friday and I'd like to get them on the way. Thanx again micro
Old 04-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

no problem. I have had mine on back order threw my shop since late march
Old 04-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

http://www.fthobbies.com/istar.asp?a...=LOSB3528!HOR&

says two in stock
Old 04-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by air8
The Vspec is in the running. It's hard to choose from all the great engines out there. LOL.

Anyone know of a place that still has the heavy duty diff cases in stock?
hey Air,

don't forget about Go-Tech engines I've been running them for over 17 months and I'm really impressed with the performance and durability for the price. EG my first Go was a 7pt it was still on the original bearings and internals after 8 gallons (32 litres) I replaced the rod and bearings at that point and its still going now after another 4 gallons and the compression is still ok

Adrian
Old 04-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GO-RIDE.com

It's a bit overkill, but I think this body looks sic. I'm in the process of converting my 8ight to brushless and this just might be the finishing touch.

Has anyone ever used carbon parts from Holeshot Engineering?
You can get a pretty convincing carbon fiber look (or fiberglass/kevlar/whatever) with paint and a VERY easy technique. The hardest part is choosing the proper colors for the look you want.

I did this with flourescent yellow and flourescent red:

That was my first attempt at a "carbon type look."

Since these are flourescent colors and not opaque, I did the solid color first, then backed it with the pattern. If you were using opaque colors do the pattern first. All you do is apply "drawer liner" from the hardware store (the foamy stuff with holes to keep tools from sliding around) and spray. Not EXACTLY like carbon fiber, but darned close.

Practice on a section from a 2-liter soda bottle or similar first to get the effect you want, test colors, etc.

Yes, it has some mistakes, I'm just learning to paint... and that was a Majestic body for my old Mugen. Obviously the windows are still taped off and it isn't trimmed in those pics.
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight building and setup-08222007-001-.jpg   Losi 8ight building and setup-08222007-005-.jpg  
Old 04-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey,

I have an 8ight and so far loved it for the half of season I raced it. Everyone except me has sold their 8ight's at my home track, and most people are telling me to get a Jammin or Kyosho because they are easier to drive, durable and more people will have them. Or get the RC8 because it's a forgiving car. I really don't want to go through the hassle of a new buggy, and honestly never thought there was any wrong with my 8ight. I've only had the occasional problem from me having a brain fart and the car so far has not broken.

Are their arguments right or did they not give the car enough time?

Thanks,

Zach
Old 04-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

has anyone tried the new chassis and can you notice a big differance ???
Old 04-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

i am running it but have only used it twice. once was on a smooth track and once on a rought track but was having motor issued so i cant comment on the performance differance yet.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Any tips for removing the clutch spring pins/bolts once they have been rounded. I tried to slot them, but that didnt work out to well.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

i got my new flex chassis today and starting to put everything on it but have one question. i am currently using the aluminum braces front and rear just wondering if i should go back to the plastic ones. our track usually gets quite blown out on race days but is still hard pack and we use hole shots.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

How many people here run the aluminum braces? Im trying to decide to get some for my 8ight
Old 04-23-2008, 03:09 AM
Tech Addict

What i have heard is that you should run the aluminium brace at the front and just the standard plastic one at the back. This should give it a bit more rear grip. But im not entirerly sure so correct me if im wrong.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Wink

Originally Posted by mackyrocks
Are their arguments right or did they not give the car enough time?

Thanks,

Zach
I truely feel they did not give the car enough time. I have raced for years and anyone who gets the Losi and runs the team setups seems to have issues. Typically these setups are very advanced for the average driver. I can't even get them around the track. Once I changed the setup to my liking, the car seems very easy to drive.

There are a lot of cool little tricks you can do to the Losi to make it work better. Are there flaws? Sure. All cars have them. In the right hands all of them can be fast.

Keep your head down and stick with what you are doing. Ask questions.
I'll send you setup sheets that are much more neutral and very adjustable.

Give a full year, and if you think there is something better, then give it a try.
Right now is the worst time to switch! Kyosho & Jammin among many others, are about to come out with new cars due to the Worlds event. Who ever your friends are that told you the Associated is more forgiving should seriously have their head examined. Athletic and precise?..... Yes. Forgiving?..... Hell No.

Have fun.
TEX
Old 04-23-2008, 04:26 AM
Tech Regular

I have a 8ight T race roller that I've just put all the running gear in and broken in the engine. Everything is running great so far but I am not sure I've done the right thing regarding bolting the engine in.

The instructions call for loctiting the motor screws with the included loctite, which I've done, but also spraying the screws with motor spray, which I didn't do.

The screws seem to be impossible to back out now. Any suggestions on getting them out ? and does spraying them first stop this from happening or do you just not loctite them at all (I only put a tiny amount on) ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.