Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just got a up close and personal look at the new losi chassis, and I'll say maybe you should hold off on spending 100 bucks. I'm not saying the chassis doesn't work, but the only difference it the edges are milled down 3 seperate slots on either side of the chassis. and the flywheel opening is beveled a bit more. The actual milling is pretty rough looking, and any machine shop can do the same thing to a stock chassis for 10 bucks. atleast that's what I'm gonna do. I don't usually knock losi products like this, but charging that much for what they did is outrageous!
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight building and setup-losa4400-250.jpg  
Old 02-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Someone please prove me wrong and point out something more substantial about this chassis to justify buying a new one instead of machining it myself.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losiboy
where did the part come from

http://www.mcmaster.com/
Old 02-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Not too many people have the equipment to mill out a chassis. Also, are you just going to mill a stock one out and say its the same thing? I would make sure its the same material, as this one could be a different metal, so it may twist or flex differently. Remember, $100 is the going price for this chassis. Most other brands are the same or more on retail, but have been out longer, so they are found for less money now.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 220 (100%+)

losipartshouse.com has them for $79.99
Old 02-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ezveedub
Not too many people have the equipment to mill out a chassis. Also, are you just going to mill a stock one out and say its the same thing? I would make sure its the same material, as this one could be a different metal, so it may twist or flex differently. Remember, $100 is the going price for this chassis. Most other brands are the same or more on retail, but have been out longer, so they are found for less money now.
asuming it might be made of a different grade of aluminum? I'm hoping some one has some insight on why I shouldn't just do it myself. I was also dissappointed on the quality, not very losi like.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Nik
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Its just the old chassis with the sides milled out a bit. Just a running change is all. Im going to say it will probably be included in the new kit. If I ever need a new chassis i'll get this one, but its not something I NEED.

xlgraphicspro, id just mill the old one. Shouldn't be that difficult
Old 02-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Smile

I'm sure anyone could copy it and you could just cut out your own if you wanted. The material in the current chassis is 7075. It is a very dense aluminum. I do not see why they would change that. It would not make sense at all.
I run my car stiff anyways. Don't really need something that will flex more.
TEX
Old 02-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Nik
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

actually now that I look at it, it looks like its been milled out even more. The low spots look lower then the old chassis. (or it just looks that way since the anodizing is darker)

Amain has the new one for $99 and the old one for $90

Last edited by Nik; 05-18-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

The trend now is a flexing chassis that allows more grip and stability. Too stiff, and the car get twitchy. Depends on your driving style. The RC8's chassis flexes, that what gives it the stability and grip it has.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

When Honda came out with the aluminum framed cr250 it was too stiff. They have since then engineered more flex into it.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

The flex though has to be engineered correctly. As you read about the new chassis, you'll see that they mention it allows flex without flexing at the gear mesh. Thats very important, so if you do just mill a stock chassis, make sure what you do doesn't ruin it. I assume the new chassis is a different material, because if its too stiff, it will be tweaked when flexed to much. It looks more like the chassis will twist more than flex fore and aft.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hi i was wondering were and how you have mounted your transponders on you eight pics to please thanks
Old 02-04-2008, 01:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
I'm sure its probably in here somewhere, but for the heck of it I'll ask anyway. Has anyone found something better for the stock rubber shock boots? I seem to get holes in them pretty quick and think the if there is a leaky seal in the shock that boot will act like a vacum, pulling out more oil with each stroke. I may have found something that will work until I find a better mouse trap. What I have done is use the stock Jammin orange dust covers that go on the bottom of the shock with the felt inside and work them over the 8ight shock bottom. It is a tight fit and takes some effort to get them seated down as far as they can go. It doesn't seem to bind up the shaft any and have held up so far (about half of last season). I haven't seen the new Jammin shocks, but if that go with something that close to the orange dust boot that had on the smaller shocks, just bigger it could be easier to adapt them to the 8ight shocks.
lose the felt you dont need it as the boots are designed for a 3 mm shalf and the losi shalfs are 4mm I've been using them for almost a year now and they work perfectly without the felt

Adrian
Old 02-04-2008, 01:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnkemp
hi i was wondering were and how you have mounted your transponders on you eight pics to please thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.