Losi 8ight building and setup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 06:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm not sure how you guys are finding the car but on the tracks I'm running on the ride height is effecting the car greatly and seems more important to the overall setup than other 1/8th scale cars I've driven.

This past weekend, running on a moderately smooth, dry blue groove track the lower we was going with the ride height the faster (more corner speed) and easier the car was getting the drive. I ran the main a 22mm front and 24.5mm in the rear. This is about 5mm lower than Drake's posted setups but it's working great for me and a friend. Also when the car that low droop had to be changed a bit to keep the balance. Overall faster in the corners with this setup for me. On a rougher track this wouldn't work well.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Leopard1, check out the The Mugen Pro Starter Box BII Off Road Starter Box it's working great for us.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Thank you Weliin ... I'll try it.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I am using an narrower Ofna box than the blue one. Mine is gray with two 550 motors and a belt driving the starter wheel. The wheel itself is smaller in diameter than the blue box's. I think that is what makes the biggest difference.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Leopard if you don't want to spend big cash on a new box like the Mugen. $100.00 plus batteries you can get this one from Ofna part #10245 for $60.00

It works great on my 8ight. I did trim the wheel down some. At first I didn't mill the chassis and raced it the first weekend in stock form and it started the motor just fine. Again though I have dremeled every single buggies chassis I have ever owned to ease starting. The freakin thing is 4mm thick what is the big deal to bevel the ends slightly to get your starter box wheel to fit???
Old 10-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

I use the dynamite torque start box and it works great with zero mods to the box or the chassis
Old 10-19-2006, 08:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by weliin
Leopard1, check out the The Mugen Pro Starter Box BII Off Road Starter Box it's working great for us.

+1!!!

I was using the chrome top myself.. And went to the Mugen box based on reccomendations of another member... by far the best box I've ever used for any vehicle...
Old 10-19-2006, 09:18 AM
Tech Addict

I managed to get my Ofna Chrome Top to work once I sanded down the wheel diameter a bit and beveled the sides.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

I don't think you need to make the wheel diameter any smaller, but making it thinner definitely makes lining the car up on the box easier.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

I did make it thinner, but I still was getting rubbing on the sides. Once I sanded the wheel down it cleared.

-Jim
Old 10-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Are the steering knuckles gonna free up on the spindles once I puts some laps on this car, or should I free them up during the build?

They sure are a little tight.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yes they will free right up.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Cool, thanks. That's so far the only problem that I've encountered so far. Not that its that big of deal. So, that's how well the car is going together. It will still take me at least a week to do the rolling chassis. Not much time to wrench.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I just picked up a new starter box for the 8ight. I went with a Mugen box and it works great! Very light and the wheel is small enough in diameter to reach the flywheel to make full contact.

On the Ofna box that I had. It worked OK, but that was in 70 degree weather. When I went to the track this past weekend, the temps where in the 50's and dropped down into the low 40's. This created difficulty for everything, including the starter box. It did work, but not well. I believe the colder temps had a lot to do with it. The box did not seem to have enough power to start my engine. My engine was warm, but the box was cold. At the track, I used a Mugen box and it had no issues what so ever.

Not saying the Ofna box is bad and will not work. I just had trouble since it was cold. We will be running nitro indoors this winter and it will be cold where my box will be pitted, so I will need something that is reliable in the colder temps.

I'm quite satisfied with the Mugen box. it's small, light and I can charge the stick packs with my Pulsar's. I may upgrade the drive motors, but i'll use the stock ones for now to see how they hold up indoors.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Tech Elite

I've always heard good things about the Mugen starter boxes. Did you ever try your OFNA box with two stick packs? The added voltage should, in theory, help the motors with added kicking power over a regular 12V battery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.