Wiki Posts
Search

NEW GUY: Truck Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Post NEW GUY: Truck Decisions

I am new to the hobby and am looking for some advice to come down to making a personal and final choice.

As of now, I am looking into the:

1.) HPI Savage X 4.6 RTR (Regular or new 2011 GT-3)
2.) Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3 RTR

The style I would be running this truck would be cruising around grassy, dirt, pavement, hilly areas with some not so intense jumps (maybe a few bashers here and there.) I am in the military and currently about to leave Afghanistan and go back to Germany where I am stationed.

Just looking for a fun hobby to pass the time, will drive frequent but not as hard as most.

Thanks for the help
Old 03-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mecebra
I am new to the hobby and am looking for some advice to come down to making a personal and final choice.

As of now, I am looking into the:

1.) HPI Savage X 4.6 RTR (Regular or new 2011 GT-3)
2.) Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3 RTR

The style I would be running this truck would be cruising around grassy, dirt, pavement, hilly areas with some not so intense jumps (maybe a few bashers here and there.) I am in the military and currently about to leave Afghanistan and go back to Germany where I am stationed.

Just looking for a fun hobby to pass the time, will drive frequent but not as hard as most.

Thanks for the help
Are these the only 2 choices due to budget or availability? There are definetly better choices out there depending on budget. Of the 2 choices listed the HPI is definetly the better of the 2 rigs, but there are better choices still IMO.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:21 AM
Tech Adept

Default Understood

Well, as I mentioned I am new. So I did not want to go to crazy on buying an expensive truck at first and find out I did not like it as much as I thought you know? I would say $500 bucks is the most I would go for my first truck.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

Well, as I mentioned I am new. So I did not want to go to crazy on buying an expensive truck at first and find out I did not like it as much as I thought you know? I would say $500 bucks is the most I would go for my first truck.
So whats available in Germany? Back here in the states there are quite a few better options in the $500 range, just not sure what that would translate to in price over there.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Tech Adept

Well I would be buying the truck in the states, I am from Pennsylvania. But I am in Afghanistan right now, doing my research online for when I get home. Willing to look at those better trucks in the $500 bucks price range, mind listing them? Thanks
Old 03-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Well I would be buying the truck in the states, I am from Pennsylvania. But I am in Afghanistan right now, doing my research online for when I get home. Willing to look at those better trucks in the $500 bucks price range, mind listing them? Thanks
Top choice for $550 is the Losi LST XXL(Overdriverc has it for that price)COmes with the best quality radio of any RTR MT available the Spektrum DX3S, also comes with the best stock engine as well, an LRP .28 Spec 3 motor. Also comes with a nice spinstarter. The chassis itself is IMO the best. Its the most stable, has the best designed suspension of any of the current MT's using massive big bore's on all 4 corners. Also has the strongest steering system using a dual servo setup. Tons of aftermarket support for it.

Next choice would be either the AE MGT 8.0 or Savage XL. Both also have tons of aftermarket support, but the included radios and engines are nowhere near as good as what comes with the LST XXL. ANyone of these trucks can be upgraded and made bullitproof though through mods, but the LST XXL has the best chassis geometry as it is without question the most stable. I race one of mine and bash the other. Its a beast.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Adept

Awesome man thanks so much, Now the savage XL. What is the major differences between the X and the XL? And I will defiantly check out the Losi LST XXL. Do you know of any good online hobby shops? Thanks for your help!
Old 03-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Awesome man thanks so much, Now the savage XL. What is the major differences between the X and the XL? And I will defiantly check out the Losi LST XXL. Do you know of any good online hobby shops? Thanks for your help!
Engine and a longer chassis are the main differences. overdriverc.com is the place for losi products, for ae and hpi cheapest place is towerhobbies.com when u become a supersaver member($9 bucks per year, but its worth it since they give you $50 coupons for purchases over $300, they end up being the cheapest of em all).
Old 03-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Between the t-maxx and the savage? Definitely the Savage, I wouldn't soil my hands with a t-maxx personally. No offense to any maxx owners out there. The Main differences between the Savage X and XL is the XL is about 1 1/2 inches longer than the X and slightly wider. The XL also comes with a 5.9cc(~.36ci) engine as opposed to the 4.6cc(~.28ci) of the X. The XL has a 3 speed trans as opposed to the X with a 2 speed, etc. There are a few other differences but I guess you could say those are the main ones.

The LST trucks do handle fairly well out of the box and come with good radios for sure, but I have a significant pile of destroyed LST2 chassis that just could not handle the hard landings a Savage will shrug off with ease. I do like the LSTs though, in fact I use LST shocks, radio, and tires/wheels on one of my Savages! A savage though, out of the box, does handle like....well...a monster truck, and can sometimes require a bit more finesse on the controls. Some people just don't like it if their monster doesn't handle like a car, I guess you can't blame anyone for that.

The 2 big online shops are towerhobby.com and horizonhobby.com but there are several others stormerhobbies.com amainhobbies.com etc. You might sign up for the newsletters of some of the sites to receive discount codes/coupons. Ebay can sometimes be another good source for RC stuff but some sellers can be a little sketchy.

As far as the LST suspension being the best designed, I'm sure there are some Revo owners that would like to debate you on that.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks gentlemen, There is so much to consider. But I do know I have basically ruled out the T-Maxx, thanks for that. But now I am going to have to look into this HPI Savage X RTR and Losi LST XXL RTR. Going to be a tough one.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by helibrian
Between the t-maxx and the savage? Definitely the Savage, I wouldn't soil my hands with a t-maxx personally. No offense to any maxx owners out there. The Main differences between the Savage X and XL is the XL is about 1 1/2 inches longer than the X and slightly wider. The XL also comes with a 5.9cc(~.36ci) engine as opposed to the 4.6cc(~.28ci) of the X. The XL has a 3 speed trans as opposed to the X with a 2 speed, etc. There are a few other differences but I guess you could say those are the main ones.

The LST trucks do handle fairly well out of the box and come with good radios for sure, but I have a significant pile of destroyed LST2 chassis that just could not handle the hard landings a Savage will shrug off with ease. I do like the LSTs though, in fact I use LST shocks, radio, and tires/wheels on one of my Savages! A savage though, out of the box, does handle like....well...a monster truck, and can sometimes require a bit more finesse on the controls. Some people just don't like it if their monster doesn't handle like a car, I guess you can't blame anyone for that.

The 2 big online shops are towerhobby.com and horizonhobby.com but there are several others stormerhobbies.com amainhobbies.com etc. You might sign up for the newsletters of some of the sites to receive discount codes/coupons. Ebay can sometimes be another good source for RC stuff but some sellers can be a little sketchy.

As far as the LST suspension being the best designed, I'm sure there are some Revo owners that would like to debate you on that.
The REVO's with the small bore/stroke lay down shocks? Yeah, I'll pass on those. They race here alot locally in the MT truck class. Every week spots 1,2 and 3 are always LST's. Half the time the 2-3 Revo's that enter DNF due to the weak front suspension links and fragile nature of the vehicle.

Stormer Hobbies(Especially) and Amains just dont compete in price with Tower when coupons are involved. I use Amain on occasion, but normally for parts and brands I cant get at Tower. Tower also has the "Easy Pay" option. All you need is a debit or CC and your payment gets split into 3 equal payments with NO interest. And your order ships right away.

And LST2 and an LST XXL are 2 different animals. Losi changed the plastic composition when they came out with the XXL, and there are a ton of upgrades over the LST2 including the radio,engine,transmission,diff housings,driveline CVD's,servos used. The XXL only needs 2 or 3 inexpensive upgrades to make it bullitproof. The LST XXL's steering, engine,drivetrain,tx/rx is superior to the Savage XL, and so is the handling. Your right, the XXL handles like a car, but it has the wheelbase,track and ground clearance of a MT.

Here is an ABUSE video of a 100% bone stock XXL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Odp5...e_gdata_player

A bone stock LST XXL is every bit as strong as a bone stock Savage XL.

Last edited by ntrain42; 03-13-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

HPI Savage
Old 03-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ntrain42
The REVO's with the small bore/stroke lay down shocks? Yeah, I'll pass on those. They race here alot locally in the MT truck class. Every week spots 1,2 and 3 are always LST's. Half the time the 2-3 Revo's that enter DNF due to the weak front suspension links and fragile nature of the vehicle.

Stormer Hobbies(Especially) and Amains just dont compete in price with Tower when coupons are involved. I use Amain on occasion, but normally for parts and brands I cant get at Tower. Tower also has the "Easy Pay" option. All you need is a debit or CC and your payment gets split into 3 equal payments with NO interest. And your order ships right away.

And LST2 and an LST XXL are 2 different animals. Losi changed the plastic composition when they came out with the XXL, and there are a ton of upgrades over the LST2 including the radio,engine,transmission,diff housings,driveline CVD's,servos used. The XXL only needs 2 or 3 inexpensive upgrades to make it bullitproof. The LST XXL's steering, engine,drivetrain,tx/rx is superior to the Savage XL, and so is the handling. Your right, the XXL handles like a car, but it has the wheelbase,track and ground clearance of a MT.

Well, it's been my experience that durability aside, a Revo will outhandle a LST2 out of the box, and I think that opinion would be shared by anyone that has run them both. The Revo's suspension is obviously much more sophisticated from a design standpoint. The Revo is definitely more fragile though, which is why I wouldn't (and didn't) recommend it. BTW I didn't say a LST handles like a car, they don't. Neither does a Savage, nor a Revo. I was trying to convey to the OP that it's been my experience that people driving a savage for the first time are usually surprised at how poorly they handle. It's as if they expect them to handle more like a car. I must admit I don't have any experience with the XXL, but I'm glad to hear they made some changes. Long time coming.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

so over all my best option for a beginner who will run the truck mildly and does not want to pay that much for his first truck would be?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by helibrian
Well, it's been my experience that durability aside, a Revo will outhandle a LST2 out of the box, and I think that opinion would be shared by anyone that has run them both. The Revo's suspension is obviously much more sophisticated from a design standpoint. The Revo is definitely more fragile though, which is why I wouldn't (and didn't) recommend it. BTW I didn't say a LST handles like a car, they don't. Neither does a Savage, nor a Revo. I was trying to convey to the OP that it's been my experience that people driving a savage for the first time are usually surprised at how poorly they handle. It's as if they expect them to handle more like a car. I must admit I don't have any experience with the XXL, but I'm glad to hear they made some changes. Long time coming.
The LST2 and LST XXL have different wheelbases and offset track, the XXL is a much more stable animal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.