Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Lipo

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Is it simply a matter of just allowing them?

We have minimum chassis weight rules so the lipo users would have to lead up there cars to make weight.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We just allow them, because the only time we noticed a difference is near the end of a run, where all the Nimhs have started to fall off. They're actually slower the 1st minute or two...when the Nimh packs are all freshly charged and kickin out high voltage.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

SO at full charge they are never above 7.4 volts because of there charge characteristics? LipOs dont get "peaked" before runs because they dont accept it correct? So for a 5minute race they would probably start off lower then nihm but hold a straighter voltage curve for the duration of the race?

Again without data from what your saying they may be on average the same as a nihm for a 5 minute duration? Start off lower end higher vs start off higher end lower...

ITs definatly intresting.

I wonder how the motorcross guys got 250 4-stroke to run with 125 2-stroke?
Old 04-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Tech Adept

Here is the picture from Car Action
Attached Thumbnails Platinum Lipo-t3.jpg  
Old 04-25-2006, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
SO at full charge they are never above 7.4 volts because of there charge characteristics? LipOs dont get "peaked" before runs because they dont accept it correct? So for a 5minute race they would probably start off lower then nihm but hold a straighter voltage curve for the duration of the race?

?
Yes
when the peak/orion pack is charging it is ticking over around 8.0+ volts it only goes up to 8.4 then stops & by then the pack is only taking 1.5a charge

nimh pack got out on track with around 8.8 volts (peaks of around 9.2 ) so really the c-cells are the ones that are using misreading peak volts umlike the li-po it stay`s @ 7.4 for the duration much longer

if peak redone the 7.4 to 7.2 to keep the munbers game right will it still be passed in the rule`s , i think not rule makers will come up with some thing to stop it being legal wrong colour,to big ,to simple,to easy to look after Blah Blah Blah
Old 04-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by R40Victim
We just allow them, because the only time we noticed a difference is near the end of a run, where all the Nimhs have started to fall off. They're actually slower the 1st minute or two...when the Nimh packs are all freshly charged and kickin out high voltage.
This is actually contrary to what I have found in my personal testing. But if it helps to make them legal, I accept it
Old 04-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

aldershot club in UK allow peak li-po now (in 19t spec class only)
so that means i have 4 clubs i can use this grey box at
Old 04-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

This is actually contrary to what I have found in my personal testing. But if it helps to make them legal, I accept it
Old 04-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Tech Champion

LiPo's can feel soft early in a run because they don't really get hot during charging. Like all batteries the internal chemical reaction is more efficient at higher temperatures (to a point).

The high level airplane guys use heating pads on a low setting (what people with back injuries use) to pre-warm packs before flights in cold weather.

This same concept applies to NiMh cells during charging. If the cells are cold their IR's get high and voltage is poor. This is why charging packs on a fan is bad and why Much More Makes a Warming Tray for charging in cold weather.

Note I said pre-warm NOT pre-heat. The packs only need to be around 95degF to get the warming benefit
Old 04-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
aldershot club in UK allow peak li-po now (in 19t spec class only)
so that means i have 4 clubs i can use this grey box at
I pulled out all my hair getting this pushed through, now we just need the LiPo racers to show up.
They are also allowed in 2wd Electric class with 27t Stock, my F103GT nearing completion although this will only be the 2nd class car as my Nitro car is the main car.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Tech Regular

Default SLCC

So for the SLCC, we can use in practice
Old 04-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LasagnaCat
No issues running them that way? The battery instructions recommend not running the pack below 6 volts, while that cutoff takes it down to 5.3v per pack using the default setting.
No issues yet but not a lot of runs on it yet. They can be programmed using a multimeter and floowing the instructions. However according to the Orion faqs you can run the Platinum until your car starts to slow. This cuts off before I noticed any slowdown. I'm intending to play with the custom cutoff before any further runs. I now have two of my kid's cars running these and I'm not going to take any chances.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:54 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just to pull everyone away from the 'fun' issue of legality and intergration for a second...

Did anybody else see the technology section of CNN today? While talking about the ever increasing gas prices, they did some coverage on a new line of Lithium powered cars. What does that have to do with this thread???

Well those cars were powered by Lithium batteries made by....who else.....Kokam. The same company that makes our packs for Orion/Peak.

Considering there are still people who think you can't even use these packs outside during the summer, hopefully a couple of them caught that little section on CNN. And maybe, just maybe the fact that these cells will soon be used in full sized cars will show people that they are more than safe enough to be used in our 1/10 cars.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Glad somebody else saw it, I thought I was the only guy on the planaet who did...
Old 04-25-2006, 09:44 PM
Tech Addict

Glad somebody else saw it, I thought I was the only guy on the planaet who did...
I have been reading this thread for the last few weeks, IMHO the use of Lipo's vs. sub-c cells is a no brainer. The batteries are better, end of story. The idea that you could race all qualifers and mains with one battery pack and never have to worry about losing runtime or punch is amazing. In addition to that fact, no more discharging, equalizing, matching, IR, run-time, dealing with the fact tha my packs are 1.18 the guy I race against has 1.19, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla. And yes I know from reading this thread that you do need to equalize Lipo's every so often, but it's minimal vs sub-c's. The point is I can spend more time on other things in life vs. caring for my battery packs. In addition, the cost savings of having a couple of Lipo packs at $280.00 vs 6 sub-c packs at $360.00 and not having to deal with the reality that as soon as I start using my sub-c batteries I will see a noticable drop off in performance almost immediatly. Lastly, because of the simplicity and lower cost of the use of Lipo's and the new low maintenance motors whether brushed or brushless, we could potentially see a growing popularity of our sport, and then maybe we would have more tracks and events to run on a consistent basis, IMHO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.