Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

VBC Racing D08

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What area of the build are you having some troubles with? Hopefully we can help you out.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Theres no real trouble I feel like once the spur assembly is together there's a lot of play, its less now that the belts, diff and spool are assembled but still some slop there. I compared the movement to my schumacher mi5 evo and its considerably more. I added a thin shim to eliminate some movement hopefully this is not an issue

Last edited by tonyv2382; 05-04-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:46 PM
Tech Elite

You should be fine. PM me if you have any other issues
Old 05-05-2016, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Listed for sale. Pm me for details if interested.

Last edited by tonyv2382; 05-05-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

I decided to test out different aftermarket shock diaphragms in the TBBS and kit shocks. The kit shocks built up nicely, however, there is a slight issue with the manufacturing of the diaphrams. I've noticed some diaphragms are not perfectly round at the outer edges and this might allow air to sneak into the shock. Now, this isn't always the case with all VBC shocks. I've built 3 out of 4 shocks with no issues. But I did have an issue with one which allowed air to sneak into the shock. It was the diaphragm causing the issue. It wasn't cut out correctly. Don't get me wrong the VBC diaphragms are nice in the sense that they are made from rubber (this is an option part with other manufactures!). If you do encounter such issues with you shocks, I highly suggest Reflex Racing 11 mm diaphrams which are made of rubber. Once installed they improved all my VBC dampers by making them consistent, smooth, and most importantly, bubble free.

Please select the black versions under the drop down menu.

http://www.reflexracing.net/RSD-11mm...cs_p_1800.html

Last edited by EDWARD2003; 05-05-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

You know I really like your enthusiasm and willingness to help everyone but I Have to say...Nothing but issues with the kit have been mentioned, I noticed thhe shock thing you mentioned days ago after I spent some time trying to get them to build consistently. No one should have to deal with the out of the box issues this platform has and I won't sit here listing them because there are many.

If all of you want a good piece of advice from someone that has been racing a very long time and has tried lots of different cars and wrenched on more than a few as well, here's my advice...

Schumacher, Xray, 3racing Sakura Ultimate, and Serpent. This cars fit and finish was ridiculous how can you make a top deck that doesn't even meet flush with the bulk heads. And also one hole on the bulk heads for roll center adjustment is useless as the ball cup hits it. Come on guys. Let's get real here, this isn't a cheap car. Spend your money wisely. Does it come with lots of stuff in the box yes, but it build crappy, the shocks are absolutely horrible, they let air in and are very inconsistent no matter how you build them. Unacceptable, first and last purchase from this company. Hope your experiences are better than mine, but I don't BS anyone, I am brutally honest about everything and your money can be better spent elsewhere.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Fellow D08 owners I have a confession to make *wiping tears from my eyes*

I haven't been straightforward and honest about my D08 build. I know, I know, I should have, but I felt it was right to keep it a secret from you. Okay...*takes a deep breath*... Let me try and gather myself...

Here we go.... Eeek I don't know if I can do it.

The problems I've had are...
Anti-roll bar slop underneath the cups (watch my YouTube video)
Air entering into shock ( green slime, blue Yokomo orings, reflex racing seals)
Top deck didn't fit (just had it on the wrong way and flipped it over )

That is all.

Please VBC Baby Jesus don't punish me for I have broken the silence of the VBC D08's problems. Please! I beg of you.

Please!!!

Like with any build you just need a [whistle]

...little patience, mm yeah, mm yeah
need a little patience, yeah
just a little patience, yeah
some more patience, yeah
need some patience, yeah
could use some patience, yeah
gotta have some patience, yeah
all it takes is patience,
just a little patience

A little Guns N' Roses for ya.

Last edited by EDWARD2003; 05-06-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What's the actual width and wheelbase of the D08?
Old 05-06-2016, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

Cool

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
Fellow D08 owners I have a confession to make *wiping tears from my eyes*

I haven't been straightforward and honest about my D08 build. I know, I know, I should have, but I felt it was right to keep it a secret from you. Okay...*takes a deep breath*... Let me try and gather myself...

Here we go.... Eeek I don't know if I can do it.

The problems I've had are...
Anti-roll bar slop underneath the cups (watch my YouTube video)
Air entering into shock ( green slime, blue Yokomo orings, reflex racing seals)
Top deck didn't fit (just had it on the wrong way and flipped it over )

That is all.

Please VBC Baby Jesus don't punish me for I have broken the silence of the VBC D08's problems. Please! I beg of you.

Please!!!

Like with any build you just need a [whistle]

...little patience, mm yeah, mm yeah
need a little patience, yeah
just a little patience, yeah
some more patience, yeah
need some patience, yeah
could use some patience, yeah
gotta have some patience, yeah
all it takes is patience,
just a little patience

A little Guns N' Roses for ya.
Patience for what? Money down the drain. My top deck was on properly and seemed too short to reach either bulk head, my shocks let too much air in, reaming out all the arms and hubs, spur gear assembly slop, cheap aluminum, and a useless camber link hole. I'm sorry I lost my patience way back there somewhere, and I won't list anymore b/c I'm sure there are fan boys in here that have VBC tatood to some parts of their body.

If you only tried yokomo, and you only had this as a comparison, try something else. You'll be surprised at how much you WONT be altering, or doing any kind of weird voodoo to make stuff work. And on that note, it's time to end. Buy bye.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:08 PM
Tech Elite

All things aside, I hope you have better luck with your next kit.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:50 PM
Les
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Honesty

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
All things aside, I hope you have better luck with your next kit.
I have no trouble with TonyV talking honestly about his experiences, actually I would prefer more like him, useful information which helped me decide on a kit to buy !!!!
Old 05-07-2016, 02:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

In the last few years I have built 2 x bd7's 3 x t4's 14, 15, 16, 1 x D07 and D08 and 1 x A700.

D08 is a very popular car locally there is heaps of them due to both the performance of the car but also the exceptional support that is available. As per below perhaps you can provide some more information and we can assist you to resolve any issues you have.

Originally Posted by tonyv2382
My top deck was on properly and seemed too short to reach either bulk head,

Mine was a perfect fit first time I have heard of this.

my shocks let too much air in,

Mine were perfect although the oring shaft stiction is highly than I would have liked. In terms of letting air in I have heard of one racer having an issue and the shocks were replaced by VBC. Manufacturing fault can happen to all brands I have seen manufacturing issues with BD7 and xray kits before...

reaming out all the arms and hubs,

No different to xray whos plastics also require reaming.

spur gear assembly slop,

I haven't seen any D08's with this problem, can you further explain?

cheap aluminum, and a useless camber link hole.

100% correct about the camber link hole. But since you would never use this hole does it matter?
Alloy is not quite on xray or yokomo level but I would rate it as good with xray being exceptional and yokomo being very good.

Lots of pros to this car but I would outline the issue I have had.

The block inserts pills are weak and they flog out as well as break. IMO the plastic used for the inserts needs to be upgraded.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DamianW
In the last few years I have built 2 x bd7's 3 x t4's 14, 15, 16, 1 x D07 and D08 and 1 x A700.

D08 is a very popular car locally there is heaps of them due to both the performance of the car but also the exceptional support that is available. As per below perhaps you can provide some more information and we can assist you to resolve any issues you have.

Lots of pros to this car but I would outline the issue I have had.

The block inserts pills are weak and they flog out as well as break. IMO the plastic used for the inserts needs to be upgraded.
Actually I do have a problem with a hole that is useless because based on MY base bench set up that I have used with my other cars on my track that hole would've been ideal so yes, if it's there Id like to use it, other wise it's ridiculous.

The top deck did not meet the bulk heads flush that sir I'm not making up, the shocks, come on, you build 'em up, and I built them repeatedly even using Pickerings method from YouTube, and all I got was a squeaky mouse sound in my shocks. No Bueno.

The spur assembly was the part of the build I spent most time on. I am a very detail oriented person in all things, and this was the biggest let down. I felt there was too much side to side play, and I also felt like the shaft that held it all together was smaller in diameter than the bearings internal diameter. Which makes for one sloppy spur assembly. It firmed up with belts and all installed but in my experience this is a Murphys Law thing. The PetitRC build of the D08 also suggests shimming the assembly to remove some play. I did so but I felt that all that did was prevent the spur from spinning as free as it did prior to shimming. All this will eventually do is build heat and lead to bearing failure, or a stripped gear. Maybe no one has experienced a failure, maybe they have, but I will not own a car where this is even a possibility.

Reaming out arms is a regular occurrence in xrays and other kits? I haven't built any current T4s but I have built my fair share of offroad Xrays and never had to ream anything. l haven't EVER reamed out a suspension component on any kit that I've ever owned as they were all free moving out of the box. And IMHO you can never ream it out perfectly which is a sure fire way to get slop before you even have the kit togeher. Here, I'll provide you with an example of a properly built arm suspension system below (Mi6)....

And yes just installing those pills in the suspensions straps, I Felt like the plastic was going to break on install. I'm sorry but to all who want a good honest review and opinion, buy something else. I only give things one shot. No matter how much things may improve in the future, VBC will never receive another dollar from me. And I spent a lot on the kit, hop ups and spares. Any product that's been made that has let me down I close the door and never look back as I can never fully trust investing my hard earned money in that direction ever again. I have had a handful of bad experiences like this and I always felt that giving an honest, direct, review of my experiences can help people save their pennies for something that's worth it.

This industry, as well as others, are fraught with people that are either compensated for their positive reviews or have something to gain by putting out false impressions of products. I have read so many reviews on several cars online and they are all positive. How in the world can that be? I believe in the approach that some of the top gear presenters in the UK took by putting out all the faults and being very blunt about a product. When you do a review you have to be objective and be honest otherwise your integrity and credibility as a human being in all matters means nothing when you do everything for personal gain.. What happens in this case is people eventually catch on and realize all the BS and eventually they will look back to the person who put out this 100% positive review and ask them selves why they listened in the first place. There is one presenter on YouTube that is pretty honest with his RC car reviews I'm sure you all know who he is and that's probably one of the only people in this industry that has been able to put out Objective views at least that I have seen.
Attached Thumbnails VBC Racing D08-image.jpeg  

Last edited by tonyv2382; 05-07-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I found a body that I want to buy for the D08. It is 190mm with a 10 inch wheelbase.

I assume that this will fit the D08, correct?

**New to 10th scale**
Old 05-07-2016, 06:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Both track width and wheel base is adjustable but they are approximately.

Track width 187mm
Wheel Base 257mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.