Search
Like Tree61Likes

HPI RS4 Sport 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 10:00 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Endaar
I really appreciate the comments. The thing is I've already got CVDs and have run the car both with the stock Flux slicks as well as standard 26mm TC tires. The same problem exists either way.

Unfortunately I think you're right that the flexibility of the plastic suspension is hurting precision and there doesn't seem to be a way to fix that. I have no idea why it's working OK for some of you and not for others. (I'm not the only one here complaining about wandering.)

Ironically the car hasn't been particularly durable for me either, as I've now had the lower screw strip out of four knuckle arms and also broken two hub carriers. My Nitro RS4 - which has taken a lot more abuse - hasn't needed a single part replaced.

I finally broke down and ordered a TC4 club chassis yesterday, with the intent of stripping the electrics out of the Flux. I like working on my cars but this has gotten excessive and I'd actually like to use the darn thing once in a while.

I think I may put a cheapie brushed ESC / motor in the Sport 3, slow it way down, and give it to my 4 year old to abuse. The accuracy of the steering won't affect his propensity to crash it, lol.

Thanks,
Endaar
Be interested to read what you the think of the TC4. Especially coming from the RS4 Flux. Came close to giving up on mine, but not yet.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Be interested to read what you the think of the TC4. Especially coming from the RS4 Flux. Came close to giving up on mine, but not yet.
I've got the TC4 in my possession but I've had no time to get it setup. First impression is it's a much higher-end chassis. There is ZERO slop in the suspension and steering. I did have one shock come leaking oil but it doesn't appear to be damaged, so not a major issue.

I'm hoping to get some time this week and will post back with my thoughts as soon as I can.

Endaar
Old 10-06-2015, 06:35 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Endaar
I've got the TC4 in my possession but I've had no time to get it setup. First impression is it's a much higher-end chassis. There is ZERO slop in the suspension and steering. I did have one shock come leaking oil but it doesn't appear to be damaged, so not a major issue.

I'm hoping to get some time this week and will post back with my thoughts as soon as I can.

Endaar
Sounds good. Won't take long to see the difference. Good to see somebody give Touring cars an second chance. I've been really surprised how small the on road non racer part of the hobby is.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi guys, I picked up the brushed Subaru version and plan on using it for carpet VTA . It's a small track so they use 25.5 motors. I'm waiting on my hobby king combo. When ever I open up a new rtr I go over everything, so yeah I found some loose screws and to my surprise the front dog bones already had the o-rings installed in both the diff and wheel hubs.
The esc I got doesn't match the esc in the manual so I had no idea if it could handle my lipos, I emailed Hpi and was told the esc was switched out, for US markets but they didn't tell me how to set the lvc. Can anyone let me know how to set it for lipo? It's got the sc-15wp. I read this thread from pg1, so soon as I got some extra cash I'm gonna get some cvds. I'll post a photo when I'm allowed . Everything I've read so far has been helpful and I'm looking forward to seeing some or your setups. Thanks guys.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Hi

You can download the manual here:

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/105906

Hope that helps
Old 10-09-2015, 07:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SagadSetup
Hi

You can download the manual here:

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/105906

Hope that helps
Thanks,helps a lot
Old 10-10-2015, 04:57 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Beef
Hi guys, I picked up the brushed Subaru version and plan on using it for carpet VTA . It's a small track so they use 25.5 motors. I'm waiting on my hobby king combo. When ever I open up a new rtr I go over everything, so yeah I found some loose screws and to my surprise the front dog bones already had the o-rings installed in both the diff and wheel hubs.
The esc I got doesn't match the esc in the manual so I had no idea if it could handle my lipos, I emailed Hpi and was told the esc was switched out, for US markets but they didn't tell me how to set the lvc. Can anyone let me know how to set it for lipo? It's got the sc-15wp. I read this thread from pg1, so soon as I got some extra cash I'm gonna get some cvds. I'll post a photo when I'm allowed . Everything I've read so far has been helpful and I'm looking forward to seeing some or your setups. Thanks guys.
Welcome. The brushed version does not seem to have the issues the Flux does.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Welcome. The brushed version does not seem to have the issues the Flux does.
It doesn't until you put a brushless system in it. I have a 9t brushless and I started chewing up diff cups and having axle chatter while accelrating in turns, until I called hpi and got the "updated" axles (2mm longer) but still had to add an extra o ring lol.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:50 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Normajean
It doesn't until you put a brushless system in it. I have a 9t brushless and I started chewing up diff cups and having axle chatter while accelrating in turns, until I called hpi and got the "updated" axles (2mm longer) but still had to add an extra o ring lol.
That's another mark against the Sport3. I've got 3 Vaterra v100s that started as brushed, now brushless. With no upgrades. Have been running with out problem for 2+ years.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)
Default tt02

I can't wait to compare the Vaterra against the Sport 3 against the TT02. It's like comparing a Fiat to a Yaris to a Versa. I think I'll take the Sport 3 though.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I think it's a fun car to drive once the issues are addressed.

Last edited by SagadSetup; 10-11-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SagadSetup
I think it's a fun car to drive once the issues are addressed.
I totally agree with that, I love the car...now! Lol
Old 10-11-2015, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

The one thing I didn't like about the most recent HPI cars that I've owned (HPI F10 & HPI E-10) was the high cost of any upgrades to make the cars more "raceable". I don't mind plastic cars, since I regularly race my TT-01 at my club track in a silver can class.

Has HPI released any upgrade parts yet for the Sport 3?
Old 10-11-2015, 08:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
The one thing I didn't like about the most recent HPI cars that I've owned (HPI F10 & HPI E-10) was the high cost of any upgrades to make the cars more "raceable". I don't mind plastic cars, since I regularly race my TT-01 at my club track in a silver can class.

Has HPI released any upgrade parts yet for the Sport 3?
Nothing yet, I'm on the email list for when the parts do come available. I'm going to get the spool, cvds, and the aluminum shock set, can't wait!
Old 10-12-2015, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

I'm still waiting on my Tamiya cvds to come in from Hong Kong lol! First 5 min run almost lost a dog bone....even after stuffing 4 o rings two each side. Great job on QC HPI lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.