R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree16Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #316
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 2,074
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endaar View Post
I really appreciate the comments. The thing is I've already got CVDs and have run the car both with the stock Flux slicks as well as standard 26mm TC tires. The same problem exists either way.

Unfortunately I think you're right that the flexibility of the plastic suspension is hurting precision and there doesn't seem to be a way to fix that. I have no idea why it's working OK for some of you and not for others. (I'm not the only one here complaining about wandering.)

Ironically the car hasn't been particularly durable for me either, as I've now had the lower screw strip out of four knuckle arms and also broken two hub carriers. My Nitro RS4 - which has taken a lot more abuse - hasn't needed a single part replaced.

I finally broke down and ordered a TC4 club chassis yesterday, with the intent of stripping the electrics out of the Flux. I like working on my cars but this has gotten excessive and I'd actually like to use the darn thing once in a while.

I think I may put a cheapie brushed ESC / motor in the Sport 3, slow it way down, and give it to my 4 year old to abuse. The accuracy of the steering won't affect his propensity to crash it, lol.

Thanks,
Endaar
Be interested to read what you the think of the TC4. Especially coming from the RS4 Flux. Came close to giving up on mine, but not yet.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #317
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Be interested to read what you the think of the TC4. Especially coming from the RS4 Flux. Came close to giving up on mine, but not yet.
I've got the TC4 in my possession but I've had no time to get it setup. First impression is it's a much higher-end chassis. There is ZERO slop in the suspension and steering. I did have one shock come leaking oil but it doesn't appear to be damaged, so not a major issue.

I'm hoping to get some time this week and will post back with my thoughts as soon as I can.

Endaar
Endaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:35 PM   #318
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 2,074
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endaar View Post
I've got the TC4 in my possession but I've had no time to get it setup. First impression is it's a much higher-end chassis. There is ZERO slop in the suspension and steering. I did have one shock come leaking oil but it doesn't appear to be damaged, so not a major issue.

I'm hoping to get some time this week and will post back with my thoughts as soon as I can.

Endaar
Sounds good. Won't take long to see the difference. Good to see somebody give Touring cars an second chance. I've been really surprised how small the on road non racer part of the hobby is.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:36 PM   #319
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 40
Default

Hi guys, I picked up the brushed Subaru version and plan on using it for carpet VTA . It's a small track so they use 25.5 motors. I'm waiting on my hobby king combo. When ever I open up a new rtr I go over everything, so yeah I found some loose screws and to my surprise the front dog bones already had the o-rings installed in both the diff and wheel hubs.
The esc I got doesn't match the esc in the manual so I had no idea if it could handle my lipos, I emailed Hpi and was told the esc was switched out, for US markets but they didn't tell me how to set the lvc. Can anyone let me know how to set it for lipo? It's got the sc-15wp. I read this thread from pg1, so soon as I got some extra cash I'm gonna get some cvds. I'll post a photo when I'm allowed . Everything I've read so far has been helpful and I'm looking forward to seeing some or your setups. Thanks guys.
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #320
Tech Elite
 
SagadSetup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hilagang-Silangan, Estados Unidos
Posts: 2,918
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Hi

You can download the manual here:

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/105906

Hope that helps
__________________
Are you right where you're supposed to be?
Think. Learn. Play. Plan. For soon you'll become.
SagadSetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:04 PM   #321
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagadSetup View Post
Hi

You can download the manual here:

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/105906

Hope that helps
Thanks,helps a lot
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:57 AM   #322
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 2,074
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef View Post
Hi guys, I picked up the brushed Subaru version and plan on using it for carpet VTA . It's a small track so they use 25.5 motors. I'm waiting on my hobby king combo. When ever I open up a new rtr I go over everything, so yeah I found some loose screws and to my surprise the front dog bones already had the o-rings installed in both the diff and wheel hubs.
The esc I got doesn't match the esc in the manual so I had no idea if it could handle my lipos, I emailed Hpi and was told the esc was switched out, for US markets but they didn't tell me how to set the lvc. Can anyone let me know how to set it for lipo? It's got the sc-15wp. I read this thread from pg1, so soon as I got some extra cash I'm gonna get some cvds. I'll post a photo when I'm allowed . Everything I've read so far has been helpful and I'm looking forward to seeing some or your setups. Thanks guys.
Welcome. The brushed version does not seem to have the issues the Flux does.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:18 PM   #323
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 65
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Welcome. The brushed version does not seem to have the issues the Flux does.
It doesn't until you put a brushless system in it. I have a 9t brushless and I started chewing up diff cups and having axle chatter while accelrating in turns, until I called hpi and got the "updated" axles (2mm longer) but still had to add an extra o ring lol.
Normajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:50 AM   #324
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 2,074
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normajean View Post
It doesn't until you put a brushless system in it. I have a 9t brushless and I started chewing up diff cups and having axle chatter while accelrating in turns, until I called hpi and got the "updated" axles (2mm longer) but still had to add an extra o ring lol.
That's another mark against the Sport3. I've got 3 Vaterra v100s that started as brushed, now brushless. With no upgrades. Have been running with out problem for 2+ years.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:02 AM   #325
Tech Addict
 
SuperFastSnail's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 721
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default tt02

I can't wait to compare the Vaterra against the Sport 3 against the TT02. It's like comparing a Fiat to a Yaris to a Versa. I think I'll take the Sport 3 though.
__________________
JU KE

Sponsor by Makita Li-Ion Brushless Power Tools. Eat the power!

Selling something but no pictures, goodbye.
SuperFastSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:10 AM   #326
Tech Elite
 
SagadSetup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hilagang-Silangan, Estados Unidos
Posts: 2,918
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

I think it's a fun car to drive once the issues are addressed.
__________________
Are you right where you're supposed to be?
Think. Learn. Play. Plan. For soon you'll become.

Last edited by SagadSetup; 10-11-2015 at 11:24 AM.
SagadSetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:31 PM   #327
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 65
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagadSetup View Post
I think it's a fun car to drive once the issues are addressed.
I totally agree with that, I love the car...now! Lol
Normajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #328
Tech Master
 
IndyRC_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,820
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

The one thing I didn't like about the most recent HPI cars that I've owned (HPI F10 & HPI E-10) was the high cost of any upgrades to make the cars more "raceable". I don't mind plastic cars, since I regularly race my TT-01 at my club track in a silver can class.

Has HPI released any upgrade parts yet for the Sport 3?
__________________
I'm currently racing VTA. Check here for rules/info: http://www.usvintagetransam.com/
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #329
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 65
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
The one thing I didn't like about the most recent HPI cars that I've owned (HPI F10 & HPI E-10) was the high cost of any upgrades to make the cars more "raceable". I don't mind plastic cars, since I regularly race my TT-01 at my club track in a silver can class.

Has HPI released any upgrade parts yet for the Sport 3?
Nothing yet, I'm on the email list for when the parts do come available. I'm going to get the spool, cvds, and the aluminum shock set, can't wait!
Normajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:05 PM   #330
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 1,495
Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Default

I'm still waiting on my Tamiya cvds to come in from Hong Kong lol! First 5 min run almost lost a dog bone....even after stuffing 4 o rings two each side. Great job on QC HPI lol.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:35 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net