Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree24Likes

HPI HB PRO 5

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 11:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Livewire121
I had some Ultra Low towers made and used the Xray ULP shocks.

Excellent job! This is what im looking for too!
Old 10-28-2021, 04:25 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tranced
Would you happen to have the CAD file of the shock towers you had made? I'm thinking I could 3d print them from ABS.
Or better yet, have any for sale?
It was a couple years ago that I had them made, and the person that made them for me, no longer does it.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

if you get the files there is a company n austrailia called bezerk rc that will cut anything of graphit and the exchange rate works in our favor
Old 10-30-2021, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I confirm that. Paul Sims (Bezerk RC) is really a guy you can count on!
Old 10-30-2021, 11:52 AM
Tech Regular

hey all,
spent the morning modelling a 3d printable battery holder to replace the stock tape/screw mount.
it retains the original screw adjuster for snugging the battery in the long direction, and features two screw-tightened swivel arms on each side to secure the battery.
i'll be testing this soon and will release the file once it's been track tested.

Sofa King likes this.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:57 PM
Tech Regular

After some post-print massaging, the battery holder is installed and ready for tomorrow. Already have a bunch of tweaks planned for the next iteration, namely accounting for the width of the pack :facepalm:

next up are lcg shock towers—I have some 50mm yeah racing dampers on the way and will be trying metallic pla for some much needed stiffness.
Rumner likes this.
Old 11-05-2021, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

Default Lcg shock towers

Today the dampers came in so I designed and printed the towers. They aren’t as low as Livewire’s because the X-ray shocks must be shorter than the yeah racing set. The yeah racing are 50mm extended. The stock dampers are 55mm. The ones shown are from petg filament, which is a bit too flexible. I’m reprinting them in ABS and will test at the track Sunday.

Rumner likes this.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:06 PM
Tech Regular

All of this weekend I was at the 360v2 track (New York) running my Pro 5 amongst the cavalry of current generation cars. The highest I managed was 3rd in one of the qualifiers, which was a personal victory for me after struggling to find tenths here and there through setup advice (thanks carlos, ray, et al.) and as much practice as I had time for. I kept blaming the age of the chassy for not keeping up, but after coming close to a second off fast lap times of an X4 and A800MMX (13.6s vs 14.6s) it gave me some renewed hope in staying with it. Although I'm doubtful much can be shaved off that gap, I've been running a half torn body and haven't been running the right driving line around a bunch of corners. Warning: newbie commentary -- It was an epiphany to realize where I was hugging the apex so tightly where in fact I needed to give approach space to arc around it -- which requires a leap of faith in positioning your car ahead of the turn and turning in basically before you can perceive you've hit it. Since the car will react so quickly on carpet and keep speed through the corner you have to predict the behavior of the car and this requires.... a lot of practice.. and a baseline setup.
Regarding the printed LCG shock towers-- I left them off for the weekend. They were ultimately printed from PETG, showing moderate flex. The first few practice runs I had with them on did feel more responsive and with less tendency to traction roll, but I was in a hurry for the first qualifier, so I reverted back to what I knew.

rlw1967 Here is the current "working" setup:
CRC Black Carpet, high traction.
  • CA tire sidewalls @ 60mm.
  • No traction compound (adding full rear + half front put me on the brink of traction rolling the first half of each race)
  • Ride height Front 5.6 Rear 5.8 (to prevent chassis rub)
  • Droop Front 6 (droop gauge+blocks) Rear 5
  • Camber Front 1 Rear 1.5
  • Wheelbase Shorter (shimming hingepins at blocks)
  • Springs Front HPI Silver (3.0ish), Rear HPI Green (2.5ish)
    go softer on the front if you can handle the twitchiness
  • Shock Oil Losi 40wt all around (500cst)
  • Toe Front 1 out Rear 2.5 (2.5 block rear, 0 front)
  • Shock mount position Front middle Rear 1 inside from middle
  • Ballstud height @ camber link:
    Rear Inner 3mm Rear Outter 2mm
    Front Inner 2mm Front Outer 0mm
  • Differential Fluid 5k
  • Swaybar Front 1.4mm Rear 1.3mm
  • Body: JConcepts A One Racer 2 5mm forward (next: Xtreme Twister)
  • Tires: Spec Hudy 28(?)
Next: try lower front inner camber link for less front roll. softer front springs.
Old 12-17-2021, 04:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Do you have experience with the Yeah racing dampers? Somewhere i read that it's not the best quality, and its leaking on the first run.. (i know its not TRF, but a useable quality would be good for its price)
Old 12-17-2021, 05:39 AM
Tech Regular

Rumner i have the 50mm yeah racing dampers on the car (you can see them in the pictures above). i practiced with them for one run so I can only speak on their handling which was as expected - i matched lap times with the kit set (which doesn't say much for the whole lcg idea).
in terms of build quality, the included springs are iffy- some are not the same height so require different amounts of preload for the same pair. when you adjust the preload collars, the springs tend to bind and release, causing a "cheap" feeling. the set does come with three pairs (soft, med, hard) but I'm not sure what the equivalent rates are. lastly, the bladder can probably be improved. I would recommend changing to Xray T4 springs made for their ultra low shocks if using them.
Old 12-17-2021, 12:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by tranced
Rumner i have the 50mm yeah racing dampers on the car (you can see them in the pictures above). i practiced with them for one run so I can only speak on their handling which was as expected - i matched lap times with the kit set (which doesn't say much for the whole lcg idea).
i just want to use new bodies, like the zooracing hellcat or baybee, but i think they will not fit with the standard front shock tower. I don't expect better lap times.
Old 12-18-2021, 06:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default C hubs

Any alternative for the c hubs? Thanks
Old 12-18-2021, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think TCXX or Tamiya should be a match.
Jmad likes this.
Old 12-20-2021, 04:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Settings

What's the best setting for ride height ,camber ,droop on low grip and high grip. Asphalt track.
thanks!
Old 12-20-2021, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jmad
What's the best setting for ride height ,camber ,droop on low grip and high grip. Asphalt track.
thanks!
go practice and test what works for you
Jmad likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.