Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Deans Fake compared to fake?? and or they better? >

Deans Fake compared to fake?? and or they better?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deans Fake compared to fake?? and or they better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 01:01 AM
Tech Champion

there is no difference apart from the safety of deans plugs, unless you are very bad at soldering.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Deans are marginally (you will never tell on the track) better compared with 4mm bullets. I now use 5mm bullets.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by frozenpod
Deans are marginally (you will never tell on the track) better compared with 4mm bullets. I now use 5mm bullets.
Though SMC have tested 5mm connectors and they were always slightly higher resistance.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Airwave
That's probably because Jiles is sponsored by Team Orion and that there is a superstition about the fact that there is less current less with the wires going out from the case instead of the tube welded inside the case... ^^
Not superstition though

The problem with packs that use Deans is that the balance cable will also stick out and they end up with the case slowly cutting into the balance leads.
This is exactly why I stopped using Deans Thunder Power packs
Old 08-14-2014, 05:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I'm curious: the thread title mentions "Deans Fake". Are there indeed copies of Deans connectors being made? I haven't seen any myself.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Skiddins
The problem with packs that use Deans is that the balance cable will also stick out and they end up with the case slowly cutting into the balance leads.
I've been using Shoe Goo to add some strain relief to this area, with good results.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:28 AM
Suspended

Yes howard their are knock off deans in the xt and standard deans...
the knock off deans are slightly off color.. a lighter red and a looser fit to a standard deans .. when i run into people with these I always recommend heating plug end with lighter and using needle nose to tighten opening(make it smaller) also they tend to melt under 45 amp draw.. deans about 60 amp

and the deans xt I like these best I will always use these at 80 amps no melting and I just like them more for my uses..

Raising hand cause I have never crossed a bullet plug cuz i will never use these due to that reason and there is no advantage to using them in amps ir resistance..
Old 08-14-2014, 07:10 AM
Tech Regular

The knockoff deans really are no good. Unless your highly skilled at soldering the plastic always melts and leaves the plugs hard to line up. I've never had this issue with real deans. So if your a pro at soldering and running low power setups the knockoffs may work OK for you.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

I used deans for a long long time . real and fake but only in vta or 17.5 tc. And typically kept my cheap connectors on my charger or discharger ... now that its lipo im using bullet 5mm and even tho one yr ago i did hook one pack up backwards i still use them . U have to be careful. The orca packs can be flipped over allowing you to reverse the wires...... (i was late for my Amain...)
but in tc i prefer to use bullet connectors to keep any flimzy wires as low as possible without adding any extra weight high in the car..
but if connectors are a must i loved the EC3 . Flow more current than deans (dont come unsoldered in pro4 SC ) less risk of shorting out from wires not being exposed (if shrink wrap gets damaged) and no need for shrink wrap and the EC3/5 is way easier to solder
Old 08-14-2014, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Raise your hand if you use bullet plugs and can honestly say that you have never connected the wires backwards.

<puts hands firmly in pockets>

-Mike
Never and all of my cars use bullet connectors. You just have to glance at it for half a second before plugging it in. I don't understand how so many people make this mistake. It takes no effort to get it right and you know if you do it wrong, you'll most likely have to replace your ESC and your race day will probably be over, so why would you not pay attention while doing this? It's not hard. You just have to open your eyes.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

IMO, Dean's are hard as hell to solder. But I do love them.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Been back into RC for a couple years now and NEVER plugged ky stuff up backwards. I paint the + terminal on my batts red, and all + wires are either red or have red shrink wrap on the ends. In addition my + wire from ESC is too short to reach the - side of the batt.

I ran deans years ago back in the nicd days because I didnt want to solder in my batts every time. But even with deans you have to be carefull if you ever use anyone elses stuff. They may not have the polarity the same as yours and poof there goes your ESC. At least with bulletts your stuff becomes fairly universal if you keep a pigtail in your pit box.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by locked
Never and all of my cars use bullet connectors. You just have to glance at it for half a second before plugging it in. I don't understand how so many people make this mistake. It takes no effort to get it right and you know if you do it wrong, you'll most likely have to replace your ESC and your race day will probably be over, so why would you not pay attention while doing this? It's not hard. You just have to open your eyes.
Denial's not just a river in Egypt.

To re-use an old racers' adage... There's two kinds of people who use bullet plugs. Those who have connected them backwards, and those who will connect them backwards. You'll get your turn someday.

That said, I still use bullets. It's just a lot cleaner, particularly because of the balance wire on dean's packs. When I ran Schumacher, I did it because it's a a few grams lighter, but now it's just a question of tidy wiring.

I've only plugged in backwards probably 2-3 times, and every time it was due to trying to use batteries that had the opposite plug orientation to what I was used to, and I was distracted just at the moment I was plugging in the batteries. I've also loaned a battery to someone else and watched as they immediately plugged the wires in backwards.

-Mike
Old 08-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Suspended

I always carry a roll of Red electrical tape and mark my bullet plugs and batterys with it on those that have bullets on pack.. I run high amp draw esc with high amp motors and have never had any issue with deans xt..
Old 08-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2uzferunner03
The knockoff deans really are no good. Unless your highly skilled at soldering the plastic always melts and leaves the plugs hard to line up. I've never had this issue with real deans. So if your a pro at soldering and running low power setups the knockoffs may work OK for you.
Plug a male and female together before soldering them, that will keep the plugs lined up and allow for easy plugging in and unplugging.

I've been using Deans and the knock off ribbed ones from hobbyking for years and years, never had a problem with them on anything I own, even 1/8 stuff and big monster trucks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.