Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Xray T4'14

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 02:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Following the success of our 417V7 Conversion, we are pleased to announce the release of the Smokem T4V7 Conversion. The heart of the conversion is a set of custom designed layshaft bulkheads which provide 1mm clearance between the top deck and the layshaft bulkheads. This allows for improved, and we believe, proper flex characteristics when the centre post is installed.

Our centre post design features improved clearance with the front belt compared to XRAY's centre post, while our top deck removes the slit at the centre post hole for more consistent flex characteristics especially when the centre post is installed.

It suits both the T4'14 and the original T4 and is available for purchase at our online store. Thanks for your time.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I've been using and testing the Smokem conversion since July and immediately had better results on both my T4 and T4'14! Well worth the purchase and great quality
Old 12-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3
I've been using and testing the Smokem conversion since July and immediately had better results on both my T4 and T4'14! Well worth the purchase and great quality
Have you compared it directly against the T4'14 topdeck and motor mount post, and the Spec-R topdeck and motor mount post?

-Mike
Old 12-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Have you compared it directly against the T4'14 topdeck and motor mount post, and the Spec-R topdeck and motor mount post?

-Mike
Hi Mike,

I have not tried the Spec-R stuff, the smokem topdeck offers a different feeling on the track to the xray top deck. It's much sharper for me, but the xray top deck can be used to smooth the car out. the layshaft bulkheads mean you don't need to shim up the top deck like some others have done.

Antoni
Old 12-18-2013, 04:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

So do the lay shaft mounts use same bearings as original or smaller ?
I would like a set that's been lowered 1mm (material taken from the bottom ) but the motor mount holes would have to be redrilled also
Old 12-18-2013, 05:49 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
So do the lay shaft mounts use same bearings as original or smaller ?
I would like a set that's been lowered 1mm (material taken from the bottom ) but the motor mount holes would have to be redrilled also
if you lower the bulkheads you will restrict the size of spur you can fit,i think an 86 will just sit flush with the chassis,i run an 84 and thats close enough,just shaving a mill off the top is the best option
Old 12-18-2013, 06:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

According to the description in the link, a smaller bearing is used. So effectively, the layshaft is still in the same location and the 1mm gap is achieved through the use of a smaller bearing. That means you can still use the same sized spur gear.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I have ran a (all 64p) 114- 90 on my cars with out a spur hanging below the chassis . in stock racing u can run a 90-96 and drop the lay shaft a mm without dropping teeth out of bottom of chassis . I know this don't work for the mod guys but it would be best for the stock guys. And wouldn't have to stock up on a different bearing just for that location .
I want to say the RSD shaved material from bottom but I'm unsure
Old 12-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Our lowered layshaft actually lowers the bearing 0.5mm and then has material removed off of the top to achieve the clearance while still using the stock bearing size. With our set up you can use an 84 spur (48 pitch) and still be safe at the bottom of the chassis. Any bigger and you are pushing it though.

The smokem solution looks very nice as well.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
Our lowered layshaft actually lowers the bearing 0.5mm and then has material removed off of the top to achieve the clearance while still using the stock bearing size. With our set up you can use an 84 spur (48 pitch) and still be safe at the bottom of the chassis. Any bigger and you are pushing it though.

The smokem solution looks very nice as well.
I've recently ordered the RSD one to try. Can I run a 96 tooth 64 pitch?
Old 12-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

I just ordered the reflex version. I run mod outside and need the 84t (48p) to work so that works best for my needs.

So, with these and the top deck with the brace, what difference should be expected between running the brace or not running the brace if you don't have the layshaft bolts in?
Old 12-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by b_recliner
Yes, easily.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b_recliner
Yes. I ran a 100t 64p this past weekend with no issues. I just put a 115t 64p on last night...... It fits, BUT.... A little too close for comfort
Old 12-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Troy Carter
I just ordered the reflex version. I run mod outside and need the 84t (48p) to work so that works best for my needs.

So, with these and the top deck with the brace, what difference should be expected between running the brace or not running the brace if you don't have the layshaft bolts in?
With mod, I run the post 99% of the time. This os my breakdown:
1.no layshaft screws no post:
-maximum rear flex: makes the car more stuck in low grip conditions, good for non prepped surfaces. On high grip carpet can make the car over rotate from too much rear flex. The car tends to want to keep rolling in the middle of a corner, less on power traction, more off power traction. Great forward bite. Car can wander a bit if the oil and springs are not right.
2.no layshaft screws with post:
-high rear flex. More on power steering than regular T4 set up, car rolls well. Good compromise between flex and steering. More steering than regular set up on high bite. More off power traction in low bite, but less on power traction.
Car can wander a bit if oil and springs are not right.

With the lowered layshaft mount I feel like you can go up 50-100 both f/r to gain stability lost due to the increased flex.

Last edited by CristianTabush; 12-18-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
With mod, I run the post 99% of the time. This os my breakdown:
1.no layshaft screws no post:
-maximum rear flex: makes the car more stuck in low grip conditions, good for non prepped surfaces. On high grip carpet can make the car over rotate from too much rear flex. The car tends to want to keep rolling in the middle of a corner, less on power traction, more off power traction. Great forward bite. Car can wander a bit if the oil and springs are not right.
2.no layshaft screws no post:
-high rear flex. More on power steering than regular T4 set up, car rolls well. Good compromise between flex and steering. More steering than regular set up on high bite. More off power traction in low bite, but less on power traction.
Car can wander a bit if oil and springs are not right.

With the lowered layshaft mount I feel like you can go up 50-100 both f/r to gain stability lost due to the increased flex.
I assume no.2 is 'No layshaft screws with post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.