Wiki Posts
Search

2014 IFMAR Worlds Full Throttle Raceway at Kissimmee Florida

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mark Payne
We all know that it is the TC class that is the real world championship. What us old men and fools do with pan cars is just a distraction to the main event.
LMAO, although Keven Herbert might take exception

Personally I'd rather it were on carpet as well, as Rick said almost no one in the US runs 1/12th asphalt, so there goes any home field advantage, that said it would be even sweeter if say Cyrul finally pulls off a win, on Their surface of choice....just saying.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

For starters, it is super exciting to have the race in the USA again. I will be participating probably in the TC segment only as taking two weeks off of work to race is just a little too expensive for me so 12th scale does not make much of a difference to me. A properly VHT sprayed asphalt track should do well for the 12th scale cars, so long as IFMAR Allows for it.

A nice alternative would be for American RC Companies to get together with ROAR and try to combine forces to cover the expenses of having the 12th scale segment indoors. Sponsorship money is a write off, it would be nice for sponsors to give back to the racers that keep them in business. ROAR allegedly has 200k in a bank account just accruing interests which would be best served for situations like this.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
For starters, it is super exciting to have the race in the USA again. I will be participating probably in the TC segment only as taking two weeks off of work to race is just a little too expensive for me so 12th scale does not make much of a difference to me. A properly VHT sprayed asphalt track should do well for the 12th scale cars, so long as IFMAR Allows for it.

A nice alternative would be for American RC Companies to get together with ROAR and try to combine forces to cover the expenses of having the 12th scale segment indoors. Sponsorship money is a write off, it would be nice for sponsors to give back to the racers that keep them in business. ROAR allegedly has 200k in a bank account just accruing interests which would be best served for situations like this.
I went to the Worlds in Holland last year and both 1/12 and TC was a total of 7 days I think. Yes some of us got there early to help with the jet lag, but you may not have to take as much time off as you think. We will have to wait and see the schedule. Hopefully they will keep it as short as possible.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 2014 worlds

Some please please help me understand why is it that 1/12th must be dedicated to asphalt? The class is on road not on carpet
Old 05-27-2013, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

All I know is I am happy it is in America. I hope to be able to attend.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
ROAR does have a history of running on asphalt but it is pretty much a dead animal now. Since 2007, there has never been a B main at the asphalt nats (modified). And in 2 or 3 of those years there were no entries.

1/12 aspalt is an old fashioned idea. That does not mean the race will not be competitive, but there are likely not going to be a lot of entries.
So you're saying there's a chance I can race then
Old 05-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

Ive not done much research on 1/12th attendance but how many racers are expected. How many people really attend for this class alone or does this come as an add on class. How may racers travel to run this class.

If it were on carpet or asphalt how many people race this class. Why isnt anyone disscussing this with IFMAR. This is not a ROAR race. This is an IFMAR race. ROAR assigns the race to a track and IFMAR runs the event.

I was under the impression that Europe runs on carpet because of poor weather for racing 1/12th. I may be wrong about the weather but that was my understanding. My European friends race 1/12th in the winter and nitro in the summer.

Rick and others are correct about the lack of participation but it is what it is. The asphalt will be high bite and the track will be fast.

The track has been cleaned up and is ready for the Asphalt company to do its thing. We're excited to run on it cause there is nothing like new pavement.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Ive been biting my tongue for a while....

One of the things I find most disappointing is that when the idea was presented of FT or Tim Potter's crew hosting the Worlds, both presented the situation as if their intention was to hold the 12th part of the event on Carpet.

FT made a post saying they were planning on having the 12th portion of the race held at the Worldgate Resort, which hosts the Snowbirds each year:
Originally Posted by GMartinez
If all goes according to plan should be able to host 1/12th 20minutes away same location that host's the snowbirds

Tim Potter's crew made a post saying they had access to a gym in which to host the 12th scale portion on carpet:
Originally Posted by Robertcooper88
We wouldn't have done what we have been doing all week if we didn't plans for the carpet. It is a 1 minute walk to the GYM in the same park we have our track.

I can't imagine hosting the 12th race in a gym being more expensive than renting out the Worldgate resort. In fact, I would really like to hear from one Tim Potter's guys... a really honest answer on whether or not the gym could have been used to run 12th scale, what the size is, did they discuss viability of this idea with the city/state, etc, etc. I suspect that they did the aforementioned, as they seem to be a very well put together club that can host a great event.

So I find it sad that ROAR or whomever would choose to go with the venue that may be slightly better suited for the ISTC, only to screw the 12th scale contingent. Sure, 12th scale is always the bridesmaid at the EP on-road Worlds. But this choice sort of insures that the 12th event will be sorely lacking in turn-out. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the big names that typically only run 12th at the Worlds (guys like Rheinard, etc) skip the 12th portion altogether this year.

It is awesome that the Worlds will actually be held in the US and Im sure the ISTC portion will be a great event. But, for whatever reason, it was chosen to sacrifice the 12th scale portion to make this happen. I know people have differing opinions about whether 12th should or can be run on asphalt... but the following is indisputable:

1) Asphalt 12th is dead in the US... the country hosting this event. The past ~4 years of ROAR Paved Nats have been unable to fill a full heat of Mod 12th. And the class wasn't even raced in 2011 due to lack of entries.

2) IFMAR stipulates that the 12th portion of the EP On-road Worlds should be held on carpet.

Anyway... I guess I just feel a little misled after the above quotes were posted. If that is the doing of ROAR or the race promoter, I can't say. But any inkling I had to attend this race, either as a spectator or competitor, has vanished.

Edit: It also makes the proximity of the event to IIC an even bigger blunder, as the two events now have zero overlapping class/surface combos.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

James_L71: When is the event??? Do you know!!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
Edit: It also makes the proximity of the event to IIC an even bigger blunder, as the two events now have zero overlapping class/surface combos.
Couldn't it if it's close enough actually keep some of the big name guys here in America to run the IIC?

Glass half full....Glass half full.

Would you be going or even attempting to go if the next block got it....I think its Japan but not sure.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NolanP
All I know is I am happy it is in America. I hope to be able to attend.
+1 thanks for your positive support
Old 05-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
Ive been biting my tongue for a while....

One of the things I find most disappointing is that when the idea was presented of FT or Tim Potter's crew hosting the Worlds, both presented the situation as if their intention was to hold the 12th part of the event on Carpet.

FT made a post saying they were planning on having the 12th portion of the race held at the Worldgate Resort, which hosts the Snowbirds each year:

Tim Potter's crew made a post saying they had access to a gym in which to host the 12th scale portion on carpet:

I can't imagine hosting the 12th race in a gym being more expensive than renting out the Worldgate resort. In fact, I would really like to hear from one Tim Potter's guys... a really honest answer on whether or not the gym could have been used to run 12th scale, what the size is, did they discuss viability of this idea with the city/state, etc, etc. I suspect that they did the aforementioned, as they seem to be a very well put together club that can host a great event.

So I find it sad that ROAR or whomever would choose to go with the venue that may be slightly better suited for the ISTC, only to screw the 12th scale contingent. Sure, 12th scale is always the bridesmaid at the EP on-road Worlds. But this choice sort of insures that the 12th event will be sorely lacking in turn-out. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the big names that typically only run 12th at the Worlds (guys like Rheinard, etc) skip the 12th portion altogether this year.

It is awesome that the Worlds will actually be held in the US and Im sure the ISTC portion will be a great event. But, for whatever reason, it was chosen to sacrifice the 12th scale portion to make this happen. I know people have differing opinions about whether 12th should or can be run on asphalt... but the following is indisputable:

1) Asphalt 12th is dead in the US... the country hosting this event. The past ~4 years of ROAR Paved Nats have been unable to fill a full heat of Mod 12th. And the class wasn't even raced in 2011 due to lack of entries.

2) IFMAR stipulates that the 12th portion of the EP On-road Worlds should be held on carpet.

Anyway... I guess I just feel a little misled after the above quotes were posted. If that is the doing of ROAR or the race promoter, I can't say. But any inkling I had to attend this race, either as a spectator or competitor, has vanished.

Full Throttle got the event! Deal with it! George and his team are fully capable of putting on a great event, they got the Worlds, the U.S. got the worlds back and you are still bitching. Yes, it looks like it will overlap another large race, adjust or don't go, it is simple. If 1/12th scale guys want to limit themselves to indoor carpet, so be it, that's fine, nothing wrong with it. Constantly bitching and moaning over everything does not do anything but continue to lessen the desire to run the event. Running on asphalt could be an equalizer, have you thought of that?? Think outside the box, not in the box. Different is not worse, it is different. Maybe that is why R/C is struggling, because everyone in the U.S. has the perception of what something should be, not what it can be.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So then, for people wondering what modern 12th on Asphalt on a large track actually looks like, here is some of the NSW (Aus) State Championships in 2011. This was without additive to the track, and the grip was down a little because we ran into the night. It's my voice on Commentary because I was BQ.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

sad state of affairs when we can't field a 12th outdoor but we have 40 zillion SCs
please forgive me and move on....
Old 05-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

You just have to remember what was told to me by someone who runs 12th. Yokomo's true advantage of tires is no longer a secret and is available to the public. Their other secret weapon is a three time world champ raised up through the ranks by Masami. I wonder how many asphalt 12th races he has run since 08. From my understanding he's been playing with off-road more lately. So find a track. There is one in TX, IL, NJ, CA for sure I know there are a lot of groomed surfaces. Start practicing! Plus let's not forget home track advantage. Fl times 2 with the host track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.