Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Speed Passion F1 car - The SP1

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 02:31 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by metalnut
Alright guys, I need spur gear advice once again. I've been using Xenon VSS spur gears but I have two problems

1. They're too tight when inserted over the axle, so I've been having to sand the inside to make them smooth. This is a less-than-perfect process.

2. Superior Hobbies is basically out of stock on the range I've been using, I can't find any other good supplier

So, in 64p, what gears are you all using. I'm sad to say that the new Exotek spurs don't fit the SP-1 axle properly, there is a TON of slop.
I use the Xenon VSS spur gears and use a body reamer to just open the center hole enough to where it spins freely.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
I use the Xenon VSS spur gears and use a body reamer to just open the center hole enough to where it spins freely.
Dammit, I didn't think about that. But they're still out of stock, so I'm trying something else. Looks like my regular Kimbrough gears fit ok, though they use 4 less balls. I'll give them a go.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Do you mind posting your setup?
I pretty much blended what I liked about the two setups posted on the prior page.I feel the key thing was getting ride height around/under 4mm. Not sure if Mike adjusted anything ( aside from fixing my failure to tighten the lower plate bolts..duh) but the car was dialed. We had a good race going until some traffic got rowdy bush with us..lol. Can't wait to get my car out of tcs trim and see if I can hang with it.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by j.d.roost
I pretty much blended what I liked about the two setups posted on the prior page.I feel the key thing was getting ride height around/under 4mm. Not sure if Mike adjusted anything ( aside from fixing my failure to tighten the lower plate bolts..duh) but the car was dialed. We had a good race going until some traffic got rowdy bush with us..lol. Can't wait to get my car out of tcs trim and see if I can hang with it.
i didn't do anything -- other than make it not break
Old 03-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

I had Mark, our local F1 guru, work my SP-1 over this past weekend. He adjusted a number of things and the car definitely drives better, but it still pushes more than the F104s at our track. I'll try a few more things that he suggested (mostly weight balance), but I'm starting to give up on this chassis. I smell a Tamiya in my future.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I had Mark, our local F1 guru, work my SP-1 over this past weekend. He adjusted a number of things and the car definitely drives better, but it still pushes more than the F104s at our track. I'll try a few more things that he suggested (mostly weight balance), but I'm starting to give up on this chassis. I smell a Tamiya in my future.
hopefully JD will try and post the setup. i think it was more than decent for the first attempt (and for doing nothing other than adding more front sauce, and playing with timing)
Old 03-10-2014, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hanulec
hopefully JD will try and post the setup. i think it was more than decent for the first attempt (and for doing nothing other than adding more front sauce, and playing with timing)
I will get a setup sheet done this week.

What I have found with my VII
is it's all about the front tire prep and tire compound.

Mikes car absolutely had the turn in advantage...so I know this car will rotate.

Metalnut....What tires are you using?
Old 03-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mikes car absolutely had the turn in advantage...so I know this car will rotate.

That speedpassion was definately dialed!!!!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

I'm running the recommended 571/572 combo and we run on CRC carpet.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'm running the recommended 571/572 combo and we run on CRC carpet.
I might be wrong....(is been awhile). For indoor carpet, I thought 574/575 is what we should use....571/572 is what I used for outdoor.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
thanks to JD for helping finish my build, and Dan Garber of Speedwerkes for helping me get a lot of the parts/body/tires. after only a small build failure and stripping the too small ball stud on the servo rack this car went on to TQ (+ fail -- traffic) against a big batch of F1 racers all working towards TCS @ Horsham RC yesterday.

car drives really nice. just not sure if i'm going to keep the steering rack, or go to a more traditional servo saver design.
Glad you like it..................now, I might need you to help me to decide why I should buy another A700 EVO after my visit over TITC, Hong Kong, Korea and Japan....the amount of A700 over Asia I saw are just NUTS.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Solara
I might be wrong....(is been awhile). For indoor carpet, I thought 574/575 is what we should use....571/572 is what I used for outdoor.

I am assuming Mikes car has the 571.572 combo ( they were not marked).Thats what we have all been running on the rug. I have tried the 574 fronts with the 572 rears and the car pushed badly...but would be interested in testing out some 575 rears with the 574 fronts.. Might need to pick up a set.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Solara
Glad you like it..................now, I might need you to help me to decide why I should buy another A700 EVO after my visit over TITC, Hong Kong, Korea and Japan....the amount of A700 over Asia I saw are just NUTS.
Well I hope you have fun. The TITC is on my RC bucket list. Some year...
I know we have more and more speedpassion sponsored tc drivers running the awesomatix in the states too...
Old 03-11-2014, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Default Fireball Classic

Just a quicky .... don't want to derail this new thread.

The Fireball Classic, held at Lincoln/ Nebraska, is going to include F1 this year. As long as enough turn up of course.

Look up Fireball classic on the Nitro on-road thread.

Thanks all.

Regards
BM
Old 03-16-2014, 09:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Dear guys.
I have a problem with my sp1. Pod links are breakable. Carbonised are more strength but I still breake it.
I'm looking for links others brand like Xray x12.
Somebody knows from which model fit?
Other question, after last challenge I missed side springs
So team associated or xray springs will I fit? Which hardness?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.