Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

What are those holes usually for? Ventillation? Otherwise, wouldn't that lead to overheating?
Old 09-30-2005, 04:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey 05 owners here is a question for ya! Will the universal drive shafts from my TA04 fit the 05?

How about bearings for the Diffs and outdrives...I want to see if the ceramics I have are a direct replacement...plus if I don't have to order uni's I don't want too.

Thanks
Paul
Old 09-30-2005, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Seatbelt
What are those holes usually for? Ventillation? Otherwise, wouldn't that lead to overheating?
I would guess that they were designed to allow particles to escape. Oddly enought, since they are they they also allow particles to enter.

The tape will keep the pebbles out, the sticky side will capture the ones that sneek in.

Dont worry about overheating; that is not an issue.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have a question for you guys. I currently have a Evo IVms that I haven't run yet (our racing doesn't start for a couple more weeks). I really like the looks of the TA-05 though. We race stock w/take off 27 tires on carpet. Would a full option TA-05 be as competitive as the EVO IV or should I just stick with what I have?
Old 09-30-2005, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have both cars. But I haven't raced them on rubber tire/carpet. I will say the EvoIV is way lighter than the TA05. So if you have no weight rule.. that is a huge plus. I think it'll come down to driving style. The EvoIV tends to be alittle more aggressive to drive. While the TA05 is very smooth. I'd say stick with what ya got for now and see how it does for you. My EvoIV is pretty quick in Stock. But now I'm gonna try and see what my TA05 can do this weekend at 2 different tracks. Also, a full optioin TA05 will cost alot more than an EvoIV MS.. hehe... At least mine does..
Old 09-30-2005, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

One more opinion though... For $350 at SpeedtechRC, you can get the original 415. It works great as a rubber tire/carpet car... And it comes with everything you'll need except a spring kit... Whites Front and Blue rear as a starting point.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herc Driver
Hey 05 owners here is a question for ya! Will the universal drive shafts from my TA04 fit the 05?

How about bearings for the Diffs and outdrives...I want to see if the ceramics I have are a direct replacement...plus if I don't have to order uni's I don't want too.

Thanks
Paul
universals are too short. TA04 uses 39mm. you need at least 46mm. axles can be recycled.

bearings are the same size.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

a full option TA05 also looks cooler than a TRF415
Old 10-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

I was thinking to buy the ta05, but I have no room to run it besides the parking lot. I have a tt01 and the sand, rocks, and leaves always get into it. is there anything to stop those things flying into the car. if this still happens, i don't think i'll buy the ta05
any ideas to block the stuff?
thanks
Old 10-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the reply...I have just robbed my trusty ol friend the TA04 of all its bling (ceramics, hard arms, etc...and it is in a box to be reassembled at a later date)
I have now ordered an TA05...here is what I optioned with:

1. Titanium screws
2. Prec. Diffs x2
3. Carbon Fr/Rr shock towers
4. Belts (Aramid??)
5. Alum Ball Bearing steering
6. Ceramics everywhere
7. Rear alum knuckles

Should be fun!

Hey anyone running 64pp spurs? What brands/sizes fit? It comes with the tamiya "not quite" 48pp gears right? Im guessing a comprable (Kimbrough) size should be an exact replacement...right?

Thanks...cant wait to get er together...running it in the Nats (stock) next weekend FLA! True chassis test and early TCS practice!

Paul
Old 10-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

i used a 104T 64 spur.... probably most will work. seems like you can fit up to 105, but havent tried it myself...
Old 10-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Tech Addict

104 spur with what approx pinion for stock? I guess looking for a 6-61/2 final drive (Im not sure as to the 05's internal ratio)
Old 10-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

to get those kind of ratios, it might be better with a 100. i only ran mine the 1 weekend for the TCS Memphis, so i dont remember... i think the final is 2.25? someone else would know for sure, i bet. although, i ran the 104 for silvercan class, but i dont remember the pinion size.... i had up to a 40!
Old 10-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

First night on my TA05 on rubber tires and Ozite. Didnt have any real success as far as set-up, etc. as I almost never run rubber tires (once every few years). BUT_I can say that it ran consistently, diffs are perfect (stock ones), and it had very good speed-both accelerating and top end-even with the stock belts. Although I had universals on it-I ran with the stock shocks so it was darn near bone stock. I would NEVER guess a heavy, all plastic $140 car could be so fast..
Old 10-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MDawson
I would guess that they were designed to allow particles to escape. Oddly enought, since they are they they also allow particles to enter.

The tape will keep the pebbles out, the sticky side will capture the ones that sneek in.

Dont worry about overheating; that is not an issue.
The holes were made mainly for lightening the chassis. Some were designed to also allow cooling. The hole for the spur gear is simply to allow the largest possible gears to be mounted.

First, most dirt comes into the car because it is kicked up by the tires. If you run an open wheel car, sometimes you can see the pattern of the dirt.

Regarding the hole under the spur gear, if you run the motor at a moderate speed and feel the air under the chassis, you will feel that air is blowing out of that hole fairly strongly. The spur gear acts as a centrifugal fan. So dirt will generally not get in that hole.

Most of the other holes generally allow heavy sand and stones to drop out. Light dust is unpredictable. There is really no way to know which way the air is travelling at specific points throughout most of the under-car area. There can be pressure in either direction. This is because the ground is highly variable. However, the air pressure is not going to be strong enough to move anything more than very light dust, so as far as dirt movement is concerned, you can generally consider them as places where dirt will drop out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.