Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree7Likes

Team Associated RC10R5.1 FT World GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is the 12R5.2 pod and the 10R5.1 pod the same, upper and lower pod plates and side/motor pod plates?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yes, They are 100% identical...
Old 01-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I had a 10R5.1 racers ask me about some of the parts I am using on my car. I figure you all should get the info.

WGT Front Springs:

AE .018”
AE .020”

The AE .018’s are the standard spring, great steering, car will roll, good for flowing layouts. AE .020’s keeps the car flatter, slightly less steering, good for chicanes and fast transitions. May need stiffer center spring to get more turn in.

Side Springs (softest to hardest):

Speed Merchant .018" - Linear
AE Black - Progressive
AE Green
CRC Blue (Soft) - Progressive
Speed Merchant .020" - Linear
AE Silver
CRC White (Med) – Progressive
Speed Merchant .022" - Linear
AE Blue
CRC Red (Firm) – Progressive

Beyond these springs the harder ones are for odd/special applications like a floating pod where the springs are set up not touching/1mm above the links. I ran the kit springs in practice at my first race but the car was awful and I pulled it off after a few laps. I AE Blacks or SM .018" Linears were the best and have been on ever since.
On high grip carpet stiff side springs can cause lifting of inside rear. Soft springs can smooth out the car and increasing mid corner rotation. On low grip carpet stiff side springs (to a point) can increase side traction and steering.

Tube lube:

SpeedMerchant Green Tube Spooge 10-15K Damper tubes 90% of the time
SpeedMerchant Red Tube Spooge 20-25K Damper tubes 10%, King Pin 10% of the time
SpeedMerchant Blue Tube Spooge 30K King Pins 90% of the time

You can use normal 1/8th diff oils in the ranges and get the same effect. I have not used CRC greases so I do not know how they relate. I run light damper lube most of the time. Medium damper lube can improve transitions left to right. Too heavy a lube can reduce rear traction or cause odd handling issues.

Center springs (These are Mfgr ratings and may not be perfect, some say CRC's are way stiffer compared to an AE spring of the same rating):

CRC - Blue 6#
CRC - White 7#
AE - Silver 8#
CRC - Red 8#
CRC - Green 9#
AE - Blue 10#
CRC - Purple 10#
CRC - Black 11#
AE - Gold 12#
AE - Red 14#

Across all brands of cars setups do not vary by much. Most WGT's use 8-12# springs on carpet.

Softer center springs in combination with soft front springs make the car mellower and improve rear rotation.

Stiffer front springs need a stiffer rear center spring to balance the car and regain lost turn in.

Different tracks need different setups. see the two attached setups. Minnreg is a big, med grip track with fast transitions. FL Indoor R/C is a small flowing high grip track.

The softer FL Indoor setup is slow at Minnreg. It turns and rolls too much in the chicanes.

The stiffer Minnreg setup feels awesome at FL Indoor but just can't match the faster lap times of the softer setup.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RC10R5.1 Setup 01-10-2013 sm.pdf (214.5 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by AdrianM; 02-22-2013 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

AdrianM thanks for the spring comparisons and your findings. I have been looking for somethinhg like it for awhile.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

What is everyone truing their tires to start? I am using Jaco's if that makes any difference?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Madulla
What is everyone truing their tires to start? I am using Jaco's if that makes any difference?
Jaco's are best if started at 2.06"/52.3mm. They are good until you hit 50mm.

BSR's best if started at 2.08"/53mm. They are good until you hit 50.8mm.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Adrian,

Can you tell me what thread the Asso inline axles are? The black nylon locknuts are for 4-40/5-40 but that is with a nylon nut. I would like to use aluminum locknuts and then I need to know the specific thread size. From the looks of the axles I would say it is 5-40.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Joost K.
Adrian,

Can you tell me what thread the Asso inline axles are? The black nylon locknuts are for 4-40/5-40 but that is with a nylon nut. I would like to use aluminum locknuts and then I need to know the specific thread size. From the looks of the axles I would say it is 5-40.
I am note sure. They are either 5/40 or some nonstandard thread. I have always used the nylon nuts.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

The RC10SC uses the #6629 5-40 nuts and since the axles are almost the same (bearing size etc.) I think the inline axles for on-road use the same size nuts. Have you ever had issues with the plastic nuts or do they stay on tightly?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:08 AM
Tech Champion

I have never had a problem and I use the same nuts for a long time.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Oh okay... Which nut-wrench is needed for these nuts? The nylon nuts are cheap as hell so a couple of spares is no problem.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 AM
Tech Champion

You will need a 1/4" nut driver.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Okidoki... Thanx!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Tech Champion

Tuning updates…

Wayne Gerber has been running an interesting setup on his CRC Gen X10. He won Cleveland running CRC White Rear side springs as front springs. Rate wise a white CRC spring will reach coil bind at the same time as an AE .018” front spring. However, the feel is completely different. The small diameter AE front springs rub the kingpin under compression leading to somewhat rough feeling friction damping. This is not the case if you run rear springs in front. The front is more “free” feeling and the car rolls a lot more. A local at my track is running Wayne’s setup on his CRC and it’s dialed.

Wayne ran CRC white side springs all around and a purple 10# center spring. I put this setup on my 10R5.1 and it feels nice. I won’t get to drive it for another week though. I know he also changed his damper tubes to being over the pod but I want to try things one step at a time.

Some may not like that I am using setups from another car but let’s be real…current cars are all very similar and the setup concepts certainly carry over across brands.

Side Springs – Updated

Like many sedan racers I am a spring collector. I started off with all the AE springs then I got all the SpeedMerchant and now I have all the CRC’s too. I tested them all to see how they related to each other so I am updating my side spring list to show the results. I tested this by compressing the springs on an allen driver with a washer between them and noting which one reached coil bind first or at the same exact time as the other.

Softest to hardest…

Speed Merchant .018" - Linear
AE Black - Progressive
AE Green
CRC Blue (Soft) - Progressive
Speed Merchant .020" - Linear
AE Silver
CRC White (Med) – Progressive
Speed Merchant .022" - Linear
AE Blue
CRC Red (Firm) – Progressive

I have been running AE Blacks or SM .018" Linears. Lately I have been thinking this may be too soft. As I said above I am going to try CRC White and AE Silvers, next.

Last edited by AdrianM; 02-22-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Tech Adept

Hi guys,

I have joined the associated ranks, built my new kits last week and I am looking forward to running it on saturday night. Did a build log of the kit on my blog

http://rcgtpancars.blogspot.co.uk/

I am having the problem with the CRC/BSR rear tyres wobbling though? Any tips on how to get rid of it? Pretty sure all my tyres have the lip on them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.