Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take it easy on ROAR guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Reading all this complaining about ROAR. Not making any money at a national.Guidelines not being followed.Voting and the lack of.
1) voting- the membership has never had a large turn out on any vote period. Even back in the 1990's.
2) Track selections - sometimes we find out what a bone head job we did during the race. Nobody is perfect. Every track is given a track package with what is expected of them.I've been to several nationals in my life time some were very good and some went badly.
3)Making money - I've personely done our Florida State series races,a regional and a nationals (2000) - made money every time. How much is enough (to be able to retire on?).
4) If you don't know what your doing and you have the wrong help that's where the national organization needs to step up- even at the last minute. I mean if your at the race you can volunteer your time to help.
The on-road nationals coming up in Florida in October is being run by someone with the right help and knows what 's involved in running this type of event. If he has a problem he can count on me to help.
Bill Fraden - Region 4 director
Old 03-21-2005, 06:35 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I posted this on the "Ask the President" thread of ROAR and got 0 response...

First,

I think I have the right to post, since I am a ROAR member and have been for a couple of years, and have attended nationals in the past. I am also over 30 and am in the business world along with being a racer...

Problem: Everyone in the ROAR hierarchy seems to be content with running the show like they did in the past, big national races in secluded spots with no outside promotion or sponsorship. With no outside pressures, things don't ever need to get fixed. We can run level 4 events in a shoebox because racers come to race and just need the basics to be happy.

What we need is some progressive thinking on the ROAR exec board. Look at some of the other events that have become popular...snowbirds, Novak, Reedy Race, KO Grand Prix and that's only on the on road side. Babcock's Pro Series is doing great. Why...

Marketing, promotion, and the need to have things done right. Why does ROAR nationals need to travel to club tracks? Why not get a event booked like the snowbirds, in a hotel?

It takes a little out of the box thinking...not just the status quo.

Solution:
1. Market the hobby (big companies are DYING to put their name on things....romance one and get a trial sponsorship)
2. Put on exceptional level 4 events. It means site certifications, minimum standards met (and certified by site visits)
3. Be user friendly....move away from the old boys club where certain manufacturers get special treatment.
4. Move into the 21st century...get a website that means something...like online voting, forums, etc.
5. Promote, promote, promote....ROAR is now a dirty word in racing...change the perception, before it is too late.

I am willing to volunteer my time to make these things a reality, and I don't need compensation for it. We all win if we get this thing fixed.

My committment? Call me...913-284-9322 and I'll start working on this...there...that's the gauntlet being throw down.

My question is: What actually does ROAR want to do? Perform like always or become a world class santioning body...

I'll even start a grassroots program...PM me if you want to help re-build ROAR, don't just flame...

SO I have said my peace, let's see what happens...

Sincerely,

Mike Harper
Old 03-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by EddieO
My revup with my ballot came AFTER the deadline to vote had passed....

Later EddieO
well at least you got one. i got one issue after i joined roar in portland last year, nothing since. but seeing how i only joined to race the nats last year i really don't care. shame on me.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by BadBoyRC
Who cares about ROAR?

Nobody only 150 racers voted on the officials..

so now your stuck with them.. so quit your whining.. bet you the guys who whine didn't even open their revup magazine.
figures you'd have a say on this matter. I'm keeping quiet on this matter due to the sponsors I represent. See me at the track this weekend and I'll spill a few beans.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

everyone who complains about ROAR, needs to think twice about it.. every year ROar has voting.. and every year 1-2% of the members vote.. things will not change, when no one chooses new people to run up front to help changes...
Old 03-21-2005, 10:12 PM
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Personally I don't think its the small percentage of voters that is the problem so much as the lack of knowledge about the nominees.

There are plenty of old posts with constructive suggestions I and others have made concerning many issues with Roar located in the Roar section. Unfortunately all of these issues arrise after an event (of course) and once the 'sting' of the event has worn off the issues go untouched.

It is for these as well as other reasons you find people becoming progressively irritated and subsequently negative in their approach to Roar.

I feel bad for certain members of Roar. I think they honestly try to do the correct thing, but are bound by the constraints of the ineffective system currently in place.

My very generalized suggestion would be a complete revamping of membership voting to expand beyond simple representative selection to include direct membership input regarding certain procedures and practices within the organization. All of this would need to be accomplished utilizing the obvious power of the internet in a manner that is secure yet convenient for the membership.

Perhaps when I go to work tomorrow I'll sift through old roar posts to pick out legitimate suggestions and compile them for appropriate use. =)
Old 03-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by burbs
everyone who complains about ROAR, needs to think twice about it.. every year ROar has voting.. and every year 1-2% of the members vote.. things will not change, when no one chooses new people to run up front to help changes...
most of region 12 in sacramento receives our rev ups after voting or not at all so your 1-2% member votes will always stay at this percentage. If it's happening here it's happening somewhere else as well.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

trust me, if there was online voting, there would be more than 1 or 2% reporting...hell ROAR can't even get the ballots out on time...yet they still hold the vote...awful!
Old 03-21-2005, 10:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I got my Rev Up today. Have you received yours yet?

BTW, spill the beans my way this weekend also. I've got some for you also...LOL
Old 03-21-2005, 10:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Advil
I got my Rev Up today. Have you received yours yet?

BTW, spill the beans my way this weekend also. I've got some for you also...LOL
You know I'll speak my mind in the pits this weekend. See ya then.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

RevUp what's that? Oh yeah that's the publicaton that roar can't seem to get to me.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Positive... Positive... ok here's something positive to post....

I'm "positive" Roar is joke and so were the nats...

Every year people post if only this if only that, but no one does anything and roar still is a joke. Heck I'd like to vote but you know the problem there...

No rev up here also...

I'm "positive" I just threw away a TON of money on a Roar event that could have been taped and put on fear factor!!!

No heat, no power, no organization, no schedule, no results, 1 bathroom which either smelled like urine, had no lights in it, or had a make shift lamp, or was completely out of order.... not enough parking...

Everyone wants to blame the track, the owner, etc.
BOTTOM LINE!!! Roar screwed up even thinking about giving the race to the Chamber. The race was doomed from the start. I just wish someone would have clued the rest of us in that traveled to this race ahead of time...

The only way I see for ROAR to turn around is to kick out everyone and start over. Too many people involved with ROAR could care less. When they are confronted its always the same old story... Well I'm a VOLUNTEER!!! I don't get it... if someone volunteers and does a good job they should get a pat on the back, but if they suk and screw up everything then it should be just overlooked???? that's plain stupid. If you screw up then step up and admit it... If you can't do the job then get the heck out... If it takes paying some people to do the job then that is what needs to be done.

$.02
Old 03-22-2005, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Gee, a while back I remember a post about Ernie P. running for ROAR president and everyone on the thread shouting "IF ERNIE WINS ROAR WILL GO TO HELL!!"

Of coarse I still agree with you all, I mean Ernie with his 30+ years of experience in the hobby, knowledge of big races and what it takes to make one sucessful, and how to get new people into the hobby.... oh and don't forget the almost limitless resourses that he has.... I mean it would take his web guys a whole week to get the Roar site revamped and be able to get on-line voting figured out...... not to mention they could have made REV-up a digital publication sent via e-mail..... which would have saved some of ROARs' funds to devote elsewhere......

I mean you guys where right it would have been totally horrible!!!
Old 03-22-2005, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by STLNLST
most of region 12 in sacramento receives our rev ups after voting or not at all so your 1-2% member votes will always stay at this percentage. If it's happening here it's happening somewhere else as well.
Really? Hmmm, I'm in Reg 12 and I got mine in plenty of time. I know of quite a few others who did as well. . .

Of course, I'm in the Red portion of the state, not in Blue Sac.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by JKA
Personally I don't think its the small percentage of voters that is the problem so much as the lack of knowledge about the nominees.

There are plenty of old posts with constructive suggestions I and others have made concerning many issues with Roar located in the Roar section. Unfortunately all of these issues arrise after an event (of course) and once the 'sting' of the event has worn off the issues go untouched.

It is for these as well as other reasons you find people becoming progressively irritated and subsequently negative in their approach to Roar.

I feel bad for certain members of Roar. I think they honestly try to do the correct thing, but are bound by the constraints of the ineffective system currently in place.

My very generalized suggestion would be a complete revamping of membership voting to expand beyond simple representative selection to include direct membership input regarding certain procedures and practices within the organization. All of this would need to be accomplished utilizing the obvious power of the internet in a manner that is secure yet convenient for the membership.

Perhaps when I go to work tomorrow I'll sift through old roar posts to pick out legitimate suggestions and compile them for appropriate use. =)
I agree JKA. There are some fundamental things that need to be changed.

Not just in the rules but in the By-Laws.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.