Wiki Posts
Search

Another tell me what car I have

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 04:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)
Default Another tell me what car I have

Okay, here I have an HPI chassis, I am just not sure what it is. I have looked numbers times on HPI sections of forums, and even Google images, but have had no luck. It is graphite/carbon chassis/shock towers. sway bars etc. Any insight or info on the car would be great. Also could I put a brushless setup in it? I picked it up cheap, and will give me something to do this winter. Thanks in advance!!
Attached Thumbnails Another tell me what car I have-dscn0055.jpg   Another tell me what car I have-dscn0056.jpg   Another tell me what car I have-dscn0058.jpg   Another tell me what car I have-dscn0057.jpg  
Old 09-10-2012, 05:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Looks to me like an RS4 Pro, could be wrong but its my best educated guess
Old 09-10-2012, 05:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

HPI RS4 PRO
Old 09-10-2012, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the replies. Worthy buy for $10? Will it handle brushless power, say Novak Drift spec 18.5t or something?

Also, could u give me some worthy places to buy replacement parts/hop-ups for??
Old 09-10-2012, 05:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by QYKLSVR
Thanks for the replies. Worthy buy for $10? Will it handle brushless power, say Novak Drift spec 18.5t or something?

Also, could u give me some worthy places to buy replacement parts/hop-ups for??
First truly modern TC in my opinion. It'll handle it.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

where is the layshaft? it was one of the best if not the best TC of 1997 - 1998. If you are using it for drift, you should have no problems with parts.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

I am unsure, as this is the condition I got it in. it was just a parts bin chassis I was lucky enough to snag. Good to know it will take brushless power.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You can download the manual many of the HPI kits directly from HPI from their website (http://www.hpiracing.com/instructions/). I would suggest downloading both the RS/4 Sport and Pro manuals.

The HPI Sport/Pro kits share many parts, but the steering racks are slightly different. Also the PRO kit came with many of the upgrade parts. Both kits can be configured to use a stick pack or saddle pack. I should also mention that those kits share many parts with older HPI nitro cars, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find replacement parts.

One other thing, the Sport/Pro can also be configured as a 190mm or 200mm car. You would use the same a-arms but different dog bones or CVDs - the part numbers will be in the manuals.

One last item, these cars where designed to run brushed motors - which are a small diameter. You may have issues of the rear belt rubbing on a brushless motor when installed. If your car didn't come with a rear belt tensioner, this can help with the belt rub in the rear. Brushless motors also use smaller spurs/larger pinions, which should help with that issue as well. The real issue on these cars is that you adjust the motor up/down for gear mesh.

Hope this info helps.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Indy, Thanks so much for that link! This is my first REAL on-road. I did realize these were designed with brushed motors. Usually 540 sized correct? I will probably drop a VXL-3s from a previous TRX truck in it, which should be smaller, or close to the same size as most brushed motors. So hopefully I wont run into any rubbing issues. It has a rear belt but I will probably replace that along with both diffs, the front seems to wobble a bit anyway. What sort of gearing should I start with. I dont have a spur or pinion for this car. And Is 32p gearing used?