Wiki Posts
Search

Hot Bodies Cyclone

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Just drove my brand new Cyclone this weekend. Our track is outdoor asphalt, in sunny/hot south Florida, with mid-low traction. Car was awesome. I broke all my personal records, and no one could keep up with the car. Handles awesome and goes fast through the corners and out with very smooth acceleration and shoots straight to where you want it to go. We run brushless 4.5 or 5.5 systems w/ Orion 4800mah Lipo packs. Cars are very fast out there, but the cyclone was just a notch ahead in handling out of the box. Now, I have been thinking of getting a spool for my car...will a front spool work with the one way middle pulley, or will I have to change it to a solid one? Also, what upgrades will be good to enhance the car's durability and performance? Also, need some good set up sheets for the car in outdoor asphalt, hot, med-low traction...thank you
Spool up front and solid center layshaft. You will want to replace the alum. dogbones with the steel ones. Titanium ball studs if you can get them, since the HPI ones are brittle. Diff blades as well if you get the spool.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i have been looking for the TI ballstuds... where to get those? those black HPI one are kinda brittle... i have snapped several just trying to tighten them down.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Here is a tip I learned this weekend. Use the long threaded ballstuds in the aluminum camber mounts. That way if it breaks you have theads hanging out that bottom and can get the old ballstud out.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

good idea, Billy...

just watch the bottom, as i had the links mounted full inboard, and the longer threads can/will hit the diff eccentric, and bind up the drivetrain.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

It cleared, just had enough to screw the threads out.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rc-zombies
Is there a kit that you can buy to fit a fan to the end of a checkpoint motor?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

checkpoint said at one time they will release a fan kit. but I haven't heard anything new since then...
so I ended up fabricating my own.
I used
(2) 3mmx10 or 12mm grub screw
(2) Tobee standoff front bumber brace from the Pro4
(1) 25mm 5v fan.

I had to drill and tap the mounting holes for 3mm.
simply insert the grub screw and tighten with the Tobee standoff
and install the fan.

an alternate is to find a long enought 2.5mm screw to go all the way through.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Tech Regular

Excellent Work

Are Yokomo diff screws not 2.5mm?

Anyone know when Checkpoint will be realeasing their IB4200SHV cells?
Old 07-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by 2-Bad
If it's anodized green... I'm buying it....
john deere green?
Old 07-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by XrayFK
What size are the pivot balls that fit into the shock caps? I want to switch from the HPI nut style shock mounting to the Tamiya/Xray style where the ball inside the cap is threaded. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by XrayFK
What size are the pivot balls that fit into the shock caps? I want to switch from the HPI nut style shock mounting to the Tamiya/Xray style where the ball inside the cap is threaded. Thanks.
Ok heres the dish, as far as i have it figured out so far.

Tamiya uses a 4.3mm ball (the same as the pro3 used). Tamiya part numbers for fluorine ball studs (TAM53598) and ball nuts (TAM53599). In order to use these you need a different shock cap and shock end.

Fortunately a shock end can be sourced from the parts tree that has the normal shock ends on it. Unfortunately those shock ends are significantly shorter, so much so that they need ~.8mm of shims added on top of them so that the lower spring perch doesnt hit the a-arm in the rear. in the front this is not an issue. (side note, i tried ONE of my purple .75 shims but the outer diameter was so close to the spring perch diameter, that it didnt want to slide in and out very freely, so i ended up having to use suspension arm shims, since these had a slightly smaller outher diameter. However I cant say for sure that the purple aluminum hpi shims wont work, since the one i tried may just be a little large).

For the shock cap, you can buy the A471 parts tree from the Pro3, which will have a pair of the caps that you need. Problem is the parts trees are $7 ea, so its $14 for all four caps.

To further mix things up, the A471 parts tree also contains shock ends, but I am unsure of their length, in comparison to the ends on the kit tree.

All in all it hasnt been very simple, and I'm beginning to question whether or not use tamiya style balls with hpi plastic is a good idea, since they are quite hard to get on and off, and it seems like the plastic is going to develop slop quickly. Ive only been experimenting with this for a couple of races, so nothing is definitive.

I can say that the fluorine balls are incredibly frictionless & smooth, and significantly lighter than the stock hpi setup (esp if you're using the purple hpi shock balls with the kit screws).
Also its a lot easier to change shock angle, since you dont even have to take the shocks off to do it
Old 07-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by floodo1
Ok heres the dish, as far as i have it figured out so far.

Tamiya uses a 4.3mm ball (the same as the pro3 used). Tamiya part numbers for fluorine ball studs (TAM53598) and ball nuts (TAM53599). In order to use these you need a different shock cap and shock end.

Fortunately a shock end can be sourced from the parts tree that has the normal shock ends on it. Unfortunately those shock ends are significantly shorter, so much so that they need ~.8mm of shims added on top of them so that the lower spring perch doesnt hit the a-arm in the rear. in the front this is not an issue. (side note, i tried ONE of my purple .75 shims but the outer diameter was so close to the spring perch diameter, that it didnt want to slide in and out very freely, so i ended up having to use suspension arm shims, since these had a slightly smaller outher diameter. However I cant say for sure that the purple aluminum hpi shims wont work, since the one i tried may just be a little large).

For the shock cap, you can buy the A471 parts tree from the Pro3, which will have a pair of the caps that you need. Problem is the parts trees are $7 ea, so its $14 for all four caps.

To further mix things up, the A471 parts tree also contains shock ends, but I am unsure of their length, in comparison to the ends on the kit tree.

All in all it hasnt been very simple, and I'm beginning to question whether or not use tamiya style balls with hpi plastic is a good idea, since they are quite hard to get on and off, and it seems like the plastic is going to develop slop quickly. Ive only been experimenting with this for a couple of races, so nothing is definitive.

I can say that the fluorine balls are incredibly frictionless & smooth, and significantly lighter than the stock hpi setup (esp if you're using the purple hpi shock balls with the kit screws).
Also its a lot easier to change shock angle, since you dont even have to take the shocks off to do it
Hey floodo1,
I switched over to tamiya-style shock mounting on my old pro4 and cyclone. It worked really well! I used the same parts you mentioned, but...
Instead of using shims, I threaded a plain (non-nylon) 3mm nut onto the shock shaft before threading the shock end on and it worked as a perfect spacer. (As a bonus, I was able to tighten the shock end to the nut and it automatically made all of my shocks the same length!)
Here are a couple of pics of my car with the completed mod:
Attached Thumbnails Hot Bodies Cyclone-img_0414-small-.jpg   Hot Bodies Cyclone-img_0297_2-small-.jpg  
Old 07-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

do yall have the part numbers of the needed parts to do that mod?
Old 07-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

What size are the original Cyclone ball cups/ends?
Old 07-10-2006, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Nexus Racing
Hey floodo1,
I switched over to tamiya-style shock mounting on my old pro4 and cyclone. It worked really well! I used the same parts you mentioned, but...
Instead of using shims, I threaded a plain (non-nylon) 3mm nut onto the shock shaft before threading the shock end on and it worked as a perfect spacer. (As a bonus, I was able to tighten the shock end to the nut and it automatically made all of my shocks the same length!)
Here are a couple of pics of my car with the completed mod:
Waaaait a second, what's up with your car in the first pic?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.