R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #15361
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanomgwhiteguy View Post
hey guys
wat would be the difference if you removed the rear pro diff and put in another one way diff because im having a problem with them having a even output im not sure wether i should just but some locktite on the screw that holds it together or just put in a one way.

also in my front drive shaft wear u put the pin in for the axle, my pin sometimes comes loose and snaps, its only hapend 3 times but it is still very anoying if anyone has ideas that could help me they would be apreciated thankz
Not quite sure what you mean by "even output"? You DON'T want to run a one-way in the rear. The on-power spool action and off-power free wheeling will make your handling issues even worse. A smooth, well built diff can make a world of difference when it comes to handling. I've had a car go from rags to riches just from a simple diff rebuild.

Put a small amount of loctite on the set screw holding the pin in place. I use the WC CVD's in front and Uni's in the rear. I've never had a single pin come out in my 2 years racing a Cyclone.

Good Luck
ShaunMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #15362
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunMac View Post
The TC is the current production model available in the Cyclone lineup. You can still find the older versions if you look around. Best "bang for your buck" in the world of competition touring cars has to be either the Cyclone TC or AE TC5.

TC Improvements over previous Cyclones - from Hotbodiesonline.com
Pro Spec Ball Diff in rear - IMO the biggest improvement.
HB Two-Way front one-way/spool
Larger 18T center pulleys
FRP middle block deck for increased rear traction
Revised main chassis for improved weight distribution
Altered upper deck with provisions for HB ATC (Adjustable Torsion Control) posts
Stronger upper bulkheads for improved crash protection
Thicker low-mount shock towers to fit extra-low bodyshells
New reversible suspension arms with more suspension mount options
Easy-adjust sway bar holders for fast fine-tuning
Moulded battery tray for easy fitting of batteries
Extra-efficient universal dogbones
Fantastic lower price
i heard that the cyclone had some durability issues, was this just with the earlier less expensive models?
gentleman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #15363
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleman81 View Post
i heard that the cyclone had some durability issues, was this just with the earlier less expensive models?
what kind of issues are you referring to?? I've never had a single issue with my cyclone - I have the "original" black version of the chassis, the one before the hara/surikarn/wce versions...

I know the "S" chassis has some issues with the chassis, but nothing with then non-S version...

so I'm not sure what you are referring to?
Old 02-22-2009, 09:51 AM   #15364
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleman81 View Post
I'm running the OG "black" Cyclone. I can't speak for others but the only parts I have broken are hubs, arms and steering blocks. These weren't from just "brushing" the wall either. The were from outright brain farts! Everything has held up nicely over the years. No real issues that I can speak of from experience.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #15365
Tech Elite

Did anyone else know they were running Mini classes at RCS for the 2009 TITC race? It seems a lot of the pro drivers were also having fun running Minis this weekend.

TITC 2009
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Bodies Cyclone-img_0368.jpg  
Old 02-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #15366
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Did anyone else know they were running Mini classes at RCS for the 2009 TITC race? It seems a lot of the pro drivers were also having fun running Minis this weekend.

TITC 2009
and it looks like 2wd mini's to boot So I'm guessing a lot of MO3's out there
Old 02-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #15367
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to deanomgwhiteguy

Quote:
Not quite sure what you mean by "even output"? You DON'T want to run a one-way in the rear. The on-power spool action and off-power free wheeling will make your handling issues even worse. A smooth, well built diff can make a world of difference when it comes to handling. I've had a car go from rags to riches just from a simple diff rebuild.

Put a small amount of loctite on the set screw holding the pin in place. I use the WC CVD's in front and Uni's in the rear. I've never had a single pin come out in my 2 years racing a Cyclone.

Good Luck
i mite re-build it later on when i get better electronics i got it back to normal again. my problem was that the belt was taking more spin to my right wheel then the left and when i accelerate it goes left so yer i think locktite for now

and as for the cvds im curious is the WC and the TC the same things or completly different and if the WC is a different car please send me the link thankz
deanomgwhiteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #15368
Tech Elite

Quote:
i mite re-build it later on when i get better electronics i got it back to normal again. my problem was that the belt was taking more spin to my right wheel then the left and when i accelerate it goes left so yer i think locktite for now

and as for the cvds im curious is the WC and the TC the same things or completly different and if the WC is a different car please send me the link thankz
When you rebuild the diff check all bearings. Including the 5x10's in the hubs and the 10x15's in the bulkheads. Make sure that they spin freely and aren't binding. Bad bearings can cause uneven power delivery and excess wear on the drivetrain.

The cvd and universal assemblies are sorta opposites of one another. See picture below.

-The WCE CVD's use the MIP design. The driveshaft captures (goes around) the axle assembly. This does offer more efficiency at extreme turning angles. Not a huge difference.
-The TC comes with universals. The axle assembly captures the driveshaft.

To this date all Cyclones share the same basic geometry. Each new version just adds new tuning features that are compatible with ALL Cyclones. No major changes have been made in 4 years. The HB Team got the design right to begin with way back in 2005. Well... all except for the diff design. It took a few years to address that issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Bodies Cyclone-cvd-uni.jpg  
Old 02-22-2009, 11:44 PM   #15369
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:

Mate, that's not a diff problem. As I said before, go and take the car to one of the more experienced guys to have a look over. 10 min setting up your car on a setup station and a quick check of the diff will have you sorted.
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:58 PM   #15370
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Quote:
When you rebuild the diff check all bearings. Including the 5x10's in the hubs and the 10x15's in the bulkheads. Make sure that they spin freely and aren't binding. Bad bearings can cause uneven power delivery and excess wear on the drivetrain.

The cvd and universal assemblies are sorta opposites of one another. See picture below.

-The WCE CVD's use the MIP design. The driveshaft captures (goes around) the axle assembly. This does offer more efficiency at extreme turning angles. Not a huge difference.
-The TC comes with universals. The axle assembly captures the driveshaft.

To this date all Cyclones share the same basic geometry. Each new version just adds new tuning features that are compatible with ALL Cyclones. No major changes have been made in 4 years. The HB Team got the design right to begin with way back in 2005. Well... all except for the diff design. It took a few years to address that issue.
Actually both of those designs are Universals. There are no real CVDs in RC cars. We would need a Thompson coupler, which is a true CVD.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:22 AM   #15371
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Attached Thumbnails
Hot Bodies Cyclone-titc-mod-.jpg  
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:24 AM   #15372
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

http://y-trail.de-blog.jp/maruyo/
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Bodies Cyclone-dsc02231.jpg  
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #15373
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
Actually both of those designs are Universals. There are no real CVDs in RC cars. We would need a Thompson coupler, which is a true CVD.
That's right.
Hi-LowBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #15374
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
Can you imagine the cost of manufactering a True CVD down to size for our Touring cars. You thought the XRAY ECS driveshafts were expensive!

But talk about "LUXURY"
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Bodies Cyclone-joint.jpg  
Old 02-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #15375
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Does anyone have the setup used at the 2008 istc worlds? I know they were running a softer setup with blues in the back but can't seem to find it. Wanted to give it a try.
dizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote