Like Tree76Likes

RC Crew Chief Software

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mdenadal
Which exact version are you trying?
On january the 7th Bob posted a version without activation checks.
Are you trying that version?
Version is 4.3.2. I installed in March of this year.
I don't know how he designed the app. But his post says it doesn't require an activation key anymore, not that it doesn't need to reach out periodically. Regardless, this install had worked fine up to last week, now it doesn't.
Old 08-10-2023, 07:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by trilerian
Version is 4.3.2. I installed in March of this year.
I don't know how he designed the app. But his post says it doesn't require an activation key anymore, not that it doesn't need to reach out periodically. Regardless, this install had worked fine up to last week, now it doesn't.
This is sad news!
Have you tried faking the PC date yet?
Old 08-10-2023, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mac The Knife
, the Probate Court would most likely see it as an asset with value that would have to be distributed to the heirs. At this point, everything is speculation.
Honestly, can you hit 'edit' and phrase that differently, it's cruel and insensitive. I'm sure his family and friends think you're super witty.

Last edited by Marcos.J; 08-10-2023 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-10-2023, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan the Man
Honestly, can you hit 'edit' and phrase that differently, it's cruel and insensitive. I'm sure his family and friends think you're super witty.
i took care of it , there was no need for that comment
I figured 7 days for him to think about it (with the option to make it longer)
Dan the Man and Robbob like this.

Last edited by Marcos.J; 08-10-2023 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by FrankW67
What warning do you get?
h/tt/ps://i.imgur.com/Ultx3x3.jpg
remove thr two backslashs in https to open the link. i'm not allowed with my amount of posts to send urls here

The picture shows the warning but i was not able to fix it until now. I guess the main problem is that i use the Programm as a standalone package without a full Installation. If i click "ok" the programm works like it should.

I'm still a bit worried about the databases and needed programms to run rc crew chief. For me it worked after installing one package but not sure if i maybe had installed other needed programms already. I will upload what i have to GitHub so everyone can try.

Old 08-10-2023, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
i took care of it , there was no need for that comment
I figured 7 days for him to think about it (with the option to make it longer)
Guess I missed the comment that got him suspended. But it should be noted that Bob was a Canadian, and some of our laws are different, so the statement may not apply in all cases.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rcmax6696
remove thr two backslashs in https to open the link. i'm not allowed with my amount of posts to send urls here

The picture shows the warning but i was not able to fix it until now. I guess the main problem is that i use the Programm as a standalone package without a full Installation. If i click "ok" the programm works like it should.

I'm still a bit worried about the databases and needed programms to run rc crew chief. For me it worked after installing one package but not sure if i maybe had installed other needed programms already. I will upload what i have to GitHub so everyone can try.
That is an error you get when trying to launch the .exe directly. There is generally a shortcut that is an .appref-ms that launches the application. That is where you will run into issues needing to connect to a URL.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rcmax6696

You got it running? That is great!

As for the value of the software Bob has written, from what I can understand it was mostly a passion project, now sure there is a chance someone will want to pick up the project and buy the IP to further develop it, but honestly I think the probability of that happening is very low...

Many people play with RC cars, fewer people race them, even less people like doing setup work, and even less people like geeking out about roll centers and the likes, so the software truly sits in a niche of a niche of a niche in that regard.

The thing I fear the most is this wonderful software, and all the wisdom that is contained in it + the accompanying videos Bob made, will slowly fade into obscurity because files are missing and no-one can get it up and running anymore.

IMHO the "best" option would be to do "community maintenance", it doesn't have to be fully open source, even with a select few people having access to the source they should be able to recompile the software for new OS's in the future for example, to provide the software as donationware, with 100% of the proceeds going straight to his direct family.

Just my 2-cents, if it were my software, that's what I would personally would want
Old 08-11-2023, 09:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default Sad news

Just saw this thread while looking to reload RC Crew Chief on my new laptop and finding Bob's site gone. I hope that progress can be made toward making the last version available. The HD on the laptop I had my last version on died, and so I don't have it to use anymore. Please let me know if anyone is able to obtain the installation files.

RIP Bob, I will always remember your contribution to my understanding of suspension systems and therefore enjoyment in this sport.

-a
:-)
Old 08-12-2023, 06:33 AM
Tech Rookie

I have uploaded my working version of rc crew chief at my github account (rcstar6696)
In the readme.md file you can see a short decription how i can start and use it. It will only work if all system requierments and all programms to use it are installed on the computer you unpack it. Sadly there is no list of needed requierments somewhere.
Sorry i have not found out how to repack it as an installerpackage but i hope its ok for all like it is.

Not sure if its allowed but i link it anyway (remove the /// to open the link)
h///ttps://github.com/rcstar6696/RCCrewChief_ReUpload

i hope Bob will be happy that we contiune using his amazing work

Last edited by Rcmax6696; 08-12-2023 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-12-2023, 08:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Its working! For me to get it to work I had to download SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 for Windows Desktop which can be found at: microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5783&WT.mc_id=DOP-MVP-37580
Note: when you first run the .exe, it will extract the needed installers to your specified location, so make it Documents or Desktop or something, then, install the x86 msi first, and then the x64 msi, after that run RCCrewChief V4.3.exe and check if it works!

Great job Rcmax6696!

Edit:
You can find almost all chassis, motor and esc files at: web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.rccrewchief.wrightdesign.ca/*

Last edited by OlivierWierda; 08-12-2023 at 09:04 AM. Reason: new info
Old 08-12-2023, 02:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Works for me too! I had to reboot after installing everything but it seems to be running. I just need a rainy day to start watching Bob's videos all over again.

Many thanks!
Old 08-12-2023, 09:39 PM
Tech Initiate

It works here too!!
Thank you very much Rcmax6696 .
Old 08-13-2023, 06:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Same here, thank you Rcmax6696.
Very relieved that we are able to continue to utilise Bob's great work and effort that went into the software, it's been an absolute staple of my racing for many years.
Old 08-16-2023, 12:23 PM
Tech Rookie

I tested the program and it is also working for me. If somebody is interested in a portable version of the software, I have created one for Windows 10. It is only one EXE-File and contains everything that is needed. It is not necessary to install anything. Just start the EXE file and the program is running including the database part.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.