Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yep that is what I did, just didn't notice that there were two different set of rules for two different classes.

Hope the Tekin with the blinky software gets approved, would love to get back into trans-am, but don't what to spend a lot now that I'm retired.

BTW I see people here talking about a 3. something FDR. If I recall the TRANS AM FDR is 4.0 or did that get changed? When I raced they had a FDR limit around 4 or so,, but with the super ESCs with timing and boost most were running 6.0 to 7.0 FDR (and keeping up with the 17.5 class).

I certainly applaud USVTA efforts to have a slower spec class that emphasizes driving skill and set up more than having the lastest equipment. Too many folks think they have to be ballistic fast in order to have fun. Trinity tried a Street Spec class years ago (same chassis, same motor, same batteries, same tires). Originally it was a lot of fun, with very close exciting racing, which to me is what makes RC racing thrilling, but it became very expensive for some of the same reasons I read here. Lax quality control in the approved parts had people buying 10 motors to find one or two good ones, then tuning those motors so that the motor only lasted a race weekend or two at the max (oh the things we did to those motors!). Same thing with batteries. Those were abused so badly that they didn't last long either. Don't think that with brushless motors and Lipos we will have today that happen or at least not to the same extent these days. The big killer of the original Trans Am class was the ESCs. Those are the equalizer not the batteries and motors. The first big race where I ran Trans AM (The tack in MD), the winner of the trans AM class would have placed 4th in the A main of the 17.5 class. Albeit he was a very good driver, he also had the then new Tekin ESC with turbo boost. I finally relented and got one too after loosing all the advantage in made in the turns, when the boosted Trans AMs blew by me in the straight.

Last edited by John Wallace2; 12-06-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
BTW I see people here talking about a 3. something FDR. If I recall the TRANS AM FDR is 4.0 or did that get changed? When I raced they had a FDR limit around 4 or so,, but with the super ESCs with timing and boost most were running 6.0 to 7.0 FDR (and keeping up with the 17.5 class).
John, are you and Santiago pushing for this class at Al's? I saw Frankie run his VTA car with us in Austin last Sunday and he was doing really well! BTW, we've been trying to stick as close to USVTA as we can. We have a couple racers who have taken a few liberties (Tekin ESC, VTA body chopped outside the molded cut lines, non-USVTA approved body), but we haven't given them too much heck about it.

Gearing is wide open in VTA, no more 4.0 limit. The last time I ran VTA at Al's I ran a 3.8 FDR. I ran a 3.8 at RSD in Houston, too. In Austin I've run as low as 3.6. At Mike's in Dallas I'm closer to 4.0. The only class "locally" running timing/boost on their ESCs is mod TC. USGT and 17.5 is ROAR blinky. VTA, for Austin, anyway, is USVTA.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Hope the Tekin with the blinky software gets approved, would love to get back into trans-am, but don't what to spend a lot now that I'm retired.
On the cheap there are A LOT of ESCs on the approval list that will be significantly cheaper than the Tekin. Like this one:

http://www.speedpassion.net/shop/det...SP000048&c=ESC

Can be had new for $50 or less at a variety of places and since USVTA looks for parity I am assuming between ESCs to make it on there list, there shouldn't be an advantage between one that costs more and one that costs less, so just coming down to preference at that point.

And one other cool option with that ESC and some others these days are hand held programmers. I really like using mine on the SP Reventon Stock club esc's I have.

This can save you some money that can go towards the USVTA legal Novak Ballistic motor that new runs about $80 - $90.

I certainly applaud USVTA efforts to have a slower spec class that emphasizes driving skill and set up more than having the lastest equipment. Too many folks think they have to be ballistic fast in order to have fun. Trinity tried a Street Spec class years ago (same chassis, same motor, same batteries, same tires). Originally it was a lot of fun, with very close exciting racing, which to me is what makes RC racing thrilling, but it became very expensive for some of the same reasons I read here. Lax quality control in the approved parts had people buying 10 motors to find one or two good ones, then tuning those motors so that the motor only lasted a race weekend or two at the max (oh the things we did to those motors!). Same thing with batteries. Those were abused so badly that they didn't last long either. Don't think that with brushless motors and Lipos we will have today that happen or at least not to the same extent these days. The big killer of the original Trans Am class was the ESCs. Those are the equalizer not the batteries and motors. The first big race where I ran Trans AM (The tack in MD), the winner of the trans AM class would have placed 4th in the A main of the 17.5 class. Albeit he was a very good driver, he also had the then new Tekin ESC with turbo boost. I finally relented and got one too after loosing all the advantage in made in the turns, when the boosted Trans AMs blew by me in the straight.
yeah, its come quite a ways since the boosting days. Though, as with any class, if someone wants to drop money in it, they can, even USVTA is not immune to this. Plenty of people still buying Ballistic motors looking for that "Great One" then dumping the others that don't spec out.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:38 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Regardless of the rule set, someone is always going to state their case of why one is better than the other. Personally, it is the "spirit" of the intention of the class that's lost in the ROAR rules. As was stated earlier, USVTA tries to promote a racing class where the equipment and the racing field has a chance of being much more level. I mean there is a reason why blinky mode ESC's are not allowed....and so on.

Under any rule set you CAN buy tons of motors to find the gem in the batch. However, one thing's for certain, under USVTA, I know I'm not competing against the next guy with his "custom built" Fantom motor for $150 or his custom constructed D3.5, 25.5 for who know how much $$$.

I will say it again, it is the spirit in which the USVTA rules have been created that makes the class what it should be. I appreciate the fact that they have not waivered and also that they take their time to test the products before the approvals are made.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

the funny thing to me is it's always the guys complaining about the 'entry' price that keep switching to the motor etc of the week

I love this class with everyone running the same motor

in our 10.5 class all the guys keep changing motors while I keep motoring on with my reedy mach2
Old 12-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Buying some new packs for myself for christmas. Should I go with the EA VTA packs or some 4700 80c shorties. Price diff is neglagble. Just wondering the pros and cons of either
Old 12-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Buying some new packs for myself for christmas. Should I go with the EA VTA packs or some 4700 80c shorties. Price diff is neglagble. Just wondering the pros and cons of either
I have been running one of EA's shorty packs in my VTA all season and its performing great. it was actually a pack that I had from mod buggy last season.

I dont think you could go wrong with either one.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've been very happy with my EAM batteries. In addition, the (presumably) lighter weight of a shorty pack would really make it difficult to make weight, plus it would throw off the balance of my car. YMMV, but it's something to consider.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Im not worried about weight i have plenty I can add. I am thinking the shorty might help balance better as I can move more weight around.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Im not worried about weight i have plenty I can add. I am thinking the shorty might help balance better as I can move more weight around.
The bad thing about the shorty pack is having to add an extra 100g to make weight (have close to 270g added total)

The nice thing is you can put it low and wherever you want it, making it very easily to get the car 100% balanced out correctly.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Assuming you have enough chassis space to add weight in strategic places, that's a good plan. On my Xray T4, however, I'm really at the limit of adding weight. Well, unless I would be willing to add weight up high, outside of the wheelbase, or in areas that are already too heavy....which I'm not willing to do. With a fullsize battery and a heavily shoe-goo'd body I'm barely at weight. So for people in my situation, I don't think a shorty pack is a good idea from a performance standpoint. Again, YMMV, depending on the chassis you're running.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tommy R
Assuming you have enough chassis space to add weight in strategic places, that's a good plan. On my Xray T4, however, I'm really at the limit of adding weight. Well, unless I would be willing to add weight up high, outside of the wheelbase, or in areas that are already too heavy....which I'm not willing to do. With a fullsize battery and a heavily shoe-goo'd body I'm barely at weight. So for people in my situation, I don't think a shorty pack is a good idea from a performance standpoint. Again, YMMV, depending on the chassis you're running.
Thats exactly what I am running, a xray t4. There is lots of room inside of the speedo, under the rx and under the belts. the only major weight is in front of the shorty pack, but the weight is much lower than if you ran a full size pack.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I run EA's VTA packs on my T4. I ran it in USVTA trim last year when it 1st came out. I carefully stacked weights under the belts, even going as far as shaving them at an angle towards the front.

How much shorter are the shortys than the standard packs?
Old 12-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonesy112
Thats exactly what I am running, a xray t4. There is lots of room inside of the speedo, under the rx and under the belts. the only major weight is in front of the shorty pack, but the weight is much lower than if you ran a full size pack.
His car was the fastest by two-tenths at the VTA Nats and Indoor Champs. He probably knows what's up
Old 12-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alloyslash
I run EA's VTA packs on my T4. I ran it in USVTA trim last year when it 1st came out. I carefully stacked weights under the belts, even going as far as shaving them at an angle towards the front.

How much shorter are the shortys than the standard packs?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Fe5j7Aod1EkAgA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.