Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
I was just reading the TC4 manual and you have the roll center backwards.
Raising the arm mounts raises the roll center, and vice versa.
You are correct. I have it exactly backwards. I confused roll center with center of gravity.

Last edited by beemerfan; 03-17-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The best handling books I have seen are the XXX main handling guide and the XRAY T2/T3 handling guide. You can download the XRAY handing guide from the XRAY site. You can also go the the Petit RC website and there are several handling guides there.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

There have been some well done battery tests by Big Squid in their shoot outs. Good information on best selections here:

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/lipo-battery-shoot-out/

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/li-po-battery-shootout-2/
Old 03-17-2013, 03:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fiveothis
I am a new RC racer looking to get into the VTA class. I have raced big cars and am very competitive so I want to purchase the very best car I can the first time. I will be running indoors on carpet. Not worried about price just want to know what the best car would be for indoor carpet VTA class.

Thanks
Originally Posted by alloyslash
Xray t3 or t4
Just dont get ticked when someone toast you with a cheaper car. Don't get me wrong X-ray is on par with anyone on quality, but buying one does not make it win.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GP40X
The best handling books I have seen are the XXX main handling guide and the XRAY T2/T3 handling guide. You can download the XRAY handing guide from the XRAY site. You can also go the the Petit RC website and there are several handling guides there.
Thanks. Those sites got me straightened out. I particularly like this image from the Petit RC (http://www.petitrc.com/) web site. It illustrates roll center as well as any explanation.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just throwing a question out there... how many batteries do you use to run one car?
Do you have a battery(s) that you use just for practice and have a "race battery"(s) ?
Or just use the same battery through out the day?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I just run the same battery at all times in my USVTA car until I feel that it is losing performance (when compared to other cars). Weekly racing at my local track is more about setup/driving than power, so a battery with less potential performace isn't usually an issue. In fact this past Friday I ran a battery that was 2 years old and qualified 4th with the exact same time (to the second) as 2nd & 3rd who were running newer cars/batteries.

If I were to run multiple batteries in USVTA, I would first want to test each battery's performance. If you have a charger that shows you voltage during discharge, you can check this way. You can also use a basic voltage meter to test voltage over time when putting a load on the battery. Once you have the performance numbers on each battery you can do a few things:
- If one battery is clearly better, just run that battery
- If several batteries have similar performace, use them to race & ractice.
- If any batteries are clearly weak, just use them for basic practicing - such as setting up trim, breaking in tires, etc.
Voltage curve is just one way to measure a battery, but is a good starting point.

Something to also consider is the physical difference between batteries. Many people have an older round 1 or practice battery and then save their best/newest battery for the last qualifier/main. Since the batteries may be different brands or ratings, they often can be different weights or dimensions. Switching batteries during a racing day can affect the balance of the car. Here are some things to consider:
- Make sure the batteries weigh the same before installing (you may need to add weight to the lighter battery)
- If the batteries are different dimensions (shorty vs standard) you may need to add weight to the chassis to achieve the same balance (front/rear or side/side)
- If the batteries are different heights and you are using a top battery brace, make sure to adjust the brace properly (to prevent tweaking the chassis).

In the end, will a better battery make a car perform better? Probably. But if your car is going faster into the corners and your car isn't setup to handle the increased speed, you could actually turn worse lap times. If you notice that your best/most consistent laps are the ones at the end of a run when your car is going a bit slower, then you need to work on setup (and driving).
Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Just a heads up for folks in central Texas... VTA is really growing in Austin! We grew from zero VTAs 4 weeks ago to 10 this weekend! And there's still plenty more in the works! So if you weren't racing at HobbyTown Austin because you thought there wasn't a VTA class, think again and come join us!
Old 03-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Not a VTA legal body we've learned, but if you like Mustangs, this is bound to improve your day...

Great production quality! Nice that they include two sets (types) of tires.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That was an awesome video!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Questions?? Does the new Vaterra brand qualify as VTA?

I been wondering how does one get into VTA? i know some rules maybe different due to i live in Canada but i like the style look of VTA cars! and would this car work as VTA?

Link:http://www.vaterrarc.com/Products/De...rodId=VTR03006

or looking at the hpi sprint cars.

Last edited by Schs2013; 03-19-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Schs2013
I been wondering how does one get into VTA? i know some rules maybe different due to i live in Canada but i like the style look of VTA cars! and would this car work as VTA?

Link:http://www.vaterrarc.com/Products/De...rodId=VTR03006

or looking at the hpi sprint cars.
since you are in edmon check out http://www.wcics.ca/ most in the west follow those rules but its up to your local club to give you details as clubs can vary

you can use whatever chassis you want though...

the last wcics race is in calgary this weekend if you are going by there.

check out the wcics threads in the canadian forums
Old 03-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Arrow

Originally Posted by rescue119
since you are in edmon check out http://www.wcics.ca/ most in the west follow those rules but its up to your local club to give you details as clubs can vary

you can use whatever chassis you want though...

the last wcics race is in calgary this weekend if you are going by there.

check out the wcics threads in the canadian forums
I am not going to be at WCICS but i will check the site out. i thought it was only for mini's (Tamiya M05 and so on)
for chassis i was not really sure that mainly why i ask.
thanks for the help.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.youtube.com/user/rescue119007

heres some videos from the last wcics race that my club hosted in MJ, SK... check out the gt/cta mains...
Old 03-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beemerfan
I'm currently hunting for a good carpet setup for my TC3 as well, but haven't found it yet. I can say that mine was working decent with a much softer shock setup than yours and 1.5 degrees of camber. Not even close to a traction roll issue and still plenty of steering, but I'm bleeding too much speed in the corners and I'm about 4 tenths off a winning pace.

One thing I've found that helps across the board on all setups is to raise the roll center by raising the suspension blocks. The previous post mentions it but he may be referring to a TC4 because it isn't quite that simple.

If you put 2 x 0.020 washers under both the front and rear inner suspension pin mounts, you raise the roll center about 1mm. However, you have to compensate on the outer pin blocks so you don't wind up with crazy angles on your suspension mounts. In this circumstance, use an F-2 block in front to wind up with 0 kickup. Use R-3-0 block in the rear to maintain the stock 2 degrees of kickup/anti-squat. Doing this will raise the roll center on the whole car 1mm, which should help the traction roll problem. You may also have to make an adjustment to your upper camber links if you raise the blocks this way.

Could i not just put little washers under all 4 screws front and rear that hold the 4 pin blocks to the chassis wont that keep all the angles the same just higher???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.