Wiki Posts
Search

Novak stator issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Novak stator issue?

Just got a new epoxy dipped 17.5 stator in last week.
I went to build the motor Saturday and could not get the pinion side bearing cap to seat with the stator.
I assumed it was just a case of the epoxy being a bit heavy on that side of the stator..so after carefully knocking down some of the epoxy I tried again.
Still no luck.. Upon further inspection I found that the cap was actually hitting the non tab side of the stator because the stator was longer than
the non epoxy one that was in there (see pics).
I have tried everything but sticking the stator in a vice and crushing it down (did not want to break the epoxy) but the two end bells will not bolt together because of this.

I have sent two emails to Novak but have not gotten a reply yet.
Wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and if there was anything I could try before I call them later today.
Attached Thumbnails Novak stator issue?-novakk-medium-.jpg   Novak stator issue?-novak-small-.jpg   Novak stator issue?-nov-small-.jpg  
Old 12-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by j.d.roost
Just got a new epoxy dipped 17.5 stator in last week.
I went to build the motor Saturday and could not get the pinion side bearing cap to seat with the stator.
I assumed it was just a case of the epoxy being a bit heavy on that side of the stator..so after carefully knocking down some of the epoxy I tried again.
Still no luck.. Upon further inspection I found that the cap was actually hitting the non tab side of the stator because the stator was longer than
the non epoxy one that was in there (see pics).
I have tried everything but sticking the stator in a vice and crushing it down (did not want to break the epoxy) but the two end bells will not bolt together because of this.

I have sent two emails to Novak but have not gotten a reply yet.
Wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and if there was anything I could try before I call them later today.
Try to put it together without the paper gasket between the stator and the endbell.

Contact Charlie via his email is the best way of contact.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Ok,will do. I assume its ok for the stator wire plate to have metal to metal contact?
Old 12-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The collector ring is common connection between all the terminals so it should not be a problem. Just make sure your can screws are't really long and are hitting the ring when you tighten them down. It will just not allow you to tighten all the way down to tighten motor to you're motor mount.

You should still contact Charlie at NOVAK though.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by j.d.roost
I have sent two emails to Novak but have not gotten a reply yet. Wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and if there was anything I could try before I call them later today.
If you need to send the stator back for any reason, or want a response to your tech questions, you'd be better served by calling Novak when addressing this issue. As I've discovered, email has a way of "getting lost in the shuffle", whereas giving them a call will yield far better results.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Company Representative

I'm sorry that your emails have not been answered; I always suggest contacting Charlie directly for assistance:

[email protected]