R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Why doesn't WGT get a world championships and why isn't there a mod class yet?

This WGT seems to be a great class but why has it been stuck to just 10.5/13.5?

I liked racing the Pro10 class but seems this is just that class with narrower track width and kinda transamsy sedan type body with sedan wing

Will it ever go mod and get a worlds championships?

Should it?

Last edited by Infinite 12th; 12-17-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite 12th View Post
This WGT seems to be a great class but why has it been stuck to just 13.5 R/NR

I liked racing the Pro10 class but seems this is just that class with narrower track width and kinda transamsy sedan type body with sedan wing

Will it ever go mod and get a worlds championships?

Should it?

No it shouldnt go mod. If you want to go Mod WGT, then run Pro10.

Shawn
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn68z View Post
No it shouldnt go mod. If you want to go Mod WGT, then run Pro10.

Shawn
I'm not seeing Pro10 in any of the big races in the U.S. and it's a class that I think is dead and do they even manufacture them anymore?

So you think 10.5 is as fast as WGT should ever be

And how can there be a worlds for this great class if it never is raced in mod?
Old 12-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

No mod class= no worlds...IFMAR only runs modified classes for worlds. There is no SPEC class per se.

Later EddieO
Old 12-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite 12th View Post
I'm not seeing Pro10 in any of the big races in the U.S. and it's a class that I think is dead and do they even manufacture them anymore?

So you think 10.5 is as fast as WGT should ever be

And how can there be a worlds for this great class if it never is raced in mod?
Your right. Nobody runs Pro10 anymore in the US/Canada. Its a shame really, I thought it was a fun class. Had to Switch everything over to WGT.

Our local club was one of the last hold outs, but we couldnt get enough cars to properly run a Pro10 Class, so we made the big switch last year.

I have tried hotter motors with the WGT bodies, and in my opion there is just not enough downforce to make the car drivable is most conditions.

Shawn.
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
Tech Regular

In US maybe is dead. In Europe is not, specially in Holland and Germany pro10 is very common still, and I hope for a lot of years.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn68z View Post
I have tried hotter motors with the WGT bodies, and in my opion there is just not enough downforce to make the car drivable is most conditions.

Shawn.
That makes sense, however the 10.5 are pretty fast I believe and given that they might be boosted and their running pretty well at say the IIC, why would mod push the car with that body type past it's aerodynamic limits?

It would be interesting to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokosam View Post
In US maybe is dead. In Europe is not, specially in Holland and Germany pro10 is very common still, and I hope for a lot of years.
Looks like it!
Old 12-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Yes!!!, these cars are really FAST!!!!
Old 12-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Pro 10 looks fantastic I'd love to run one.. I'm about to join Halifax Track in the UK which is mainly an 8th Scale Nitro track so I'd think Pro 10 would work well there.. we'll see.
JamesHealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHealey View Post
Pro 10 looks fantastic I'd love to run one.. I'm about to join Halifax Track in the UK which is mainly an 8th Scale Nitro track so I'd think Pro 10 would work well there.. we'll see.
These are Pro10S (WGT+ 2S lipo german style) but very nice too:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #11
Tech Elite

It might be dead where you race not here in Florida.If you want to kill this class go mod. That's why 1/10th pan cars died (235mm) here in 1999. They were to fast for the masses. And like the other guy said they don't have World Championships for Stock classes anymore.
Anyway with Europeans running 235mm cars and 2 cells and here in the US running 1 cell and 200mm they don't mix.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
It might be dead where you race not here in Florida.If you want to kill this class go mod. That's why 1/10th pan cars died (235mm) here in 1999. They were to fast for the masses. And like the other guy said they don't have World Championships for Stock classes anymore.
Anyway with Europeans running 235mm cars and 2 cells and here in the US running 1 cell and 200mm they don't mix.
So you still have strong following of Pro10 in Florida still didn't manufacturers discontinue selling these cars all of them? Are you sure it was the speed of modified that killed it? Did you have stock following and did everyone running stock go mod then stop all of a sudden...lol Maybe it died for other reasons like sedan became popular?

Even though 10.5/13.5 are pretty fast especially boosted it's still considered super stock and super super stock but what about WGT do people want to keep it not mod. Was that the original intention of creating the WGT class I don't know

Classes running mod are always given greater attention even though these stock 1, 2, and 3 classes are also well praised and watched
Old 12-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #13
Tech Elite

In 1999 at the carpet Nationals only 3 drivers signed up for mod.Many more in stock- I won the B main. the speed of the class killed the wide pan cars. As most people can/t handle the speed. Even if they think they can!
World GT not Pro 10 in Florida. You'll also see it at this years snowbirds.
As for companies not making the chassis?- Corally, Speed Merchant, CRC, Darkside,TOP ,BMI and Associated(?).
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
As for companies not making the chassis?- Corally, Speed Merchant, CRC, Darkside,TOP ,BMI and Associated(?).
Associated recently discontinued the 10R5 WGT car. I as a dealer cant get my hands on one anymore, They are selling the remaining inventory themselves. I dont know if they plan to quit making a WGT car all togeather due to the lack of popularity of the class or if they are working on a new car
LMRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMRacing View Post
Associated recently discontinued the 10R5 WGT car. I as a dealer cant get my hands on one anymore, They are selling the remaining inventory themselves. I dont know if they plan to quit making a WGT car all togeather due to the lack of popularity of the class or if they are working on a new car
Accordinag to the posts by the AE reps, after they discontinued the car there was such an outcry that they carefully analyzed how to bring it back and make it at least break even, and that's why they only sell them direct.

All things being even, the 10R5 is overpriced compared to some of the other cars out there that have a more proven track record.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote