Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What year the did electric cars start to challenge the fuel cars? >

What year the did electric cars start to challenge the fuel cars?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What year the did electric cars start to challenge the fuel cars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A 1/10 electric will already beat a 1/10 nitro on any track.
My home track is a quite open fast track and with the ets they were doing 15,3 lap times (if i remember correctly) and 120 km/h on the straight.
With nitro the fastest ever is a 15,4 and 110 km/h on the straight.

For 1/8 it's a completely different story, the biggest challenge is finding electrics which will run reliably at those speeds, plus the electric versions are a lot heavier compared to the nitro ones.

But this might change next year, this winter I will design an electric 1/8 inroad from the ground up, aim is to be as fast as a nitro for a 10 minute run.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:12 PM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Only when you refuel. A legal size nitro tank will run dry way before a legal size battery will.
There is no legal size battery, they keep on growing in capacity!, in the fuel, we do have a nitro limit....

But never mind, there is no winner in this discussion.

I like both classes, I drive 8th scale (obviously), Pro10 and 12th scale, just because I like the hobby!...
Old 11-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
A 1/10 electric will already beat a 1/10 nitro on any track.
My home track is a quite open fast track and with the ets they were doing 15,3 lap times (if i remember correctly) and 120 km/h on the straight.
With nitro the fastest ever is a 15,4 and 110 km/h on the straight.

For 1/8 it's a completely different story, the biggest challenge is finding electrics which will run reliably at those speeds, plus the electric versions are a lot heavier compared to the nitro ones.

But this might change next year, this winter I will design an electric 1/8 inroad from the ground up, aim is to be as fast as a nitro for a 10 minute run.
Only 0.1 diff....... With electric clear handling advantages I cant believe they were faster down the straight and were only 0.1 faster.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M7H
....But never mind, there is no winner in this discussion....
I think this is the best information I've seen in this thread!
Old 11-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

I remember a few years back (I was driving the then new Streeweapon) we went with a friend to a new track where they only had 1/10th nitro, we were the only two electric guys and the comments from the nitro lads were a little narky, so on the first heat I beat the lap record set in nitro, the guys were a little less amused to see us, then on second heat my pal went faster than me! all of the sudden the nitro lads were very inquisitive of our little nuclear power machines

It was very amusing...
Old 11-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Tech Champion

That reminds me of when I first started running nitro way back before nitro TCs. We had a track with a 250ft straight that we ran 1/8th and 1/10th on-road nitro on (Pre-TC days). One race day we decided to run 1/10th electric pan cars just for kicks so I dropped in a 12x6 motor and geared it too the moon...the 1/8th guys were less than amused when my EV10 blew by them on the straights
Old 11-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1
I have to agree with this. This has been done over and over again in drag racing. They always take the fastest of both classes and run a final overall champion in the events. Electric wins 99% of the time.
Fastest 1:1 electric I've seen so far is a [email protected] MPH....

http://teamhaiyinevracing.com/ has the video.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I think this is the best information I've seen in this thread!
i think the noise factor will come in . we have been lucky so far in toledo with the neighbours. one of the reasons i chose a 966 was the electric coversion kit. great too read all the history on this thread
Old 11-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

They both have there points... I like electric because my neighbors hate me already.

But once i get enough money i will get a baja.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Tech Regular

To answer question #1 of the original post, I'd say fall of 2005. This is when the first Novak GTB and LRP Sphere systems became available to the general public. The electric TCs were already faster through the "infield" sections, but with the 6.5T and lower brushless systems, they were now equal on the straights. In fact, I ran a TC3 against the nitro cars a couple of times with the old Novak Super Sport system. I had to gear somewhat conservatively so I didn't thermal. I think I qualified 2nd, and lead the first 7 minutes of the main (probably using 3800 Nimh batteries), but my pit stop for a battery change wasn't fast enough to keep the lead. (Pit crew needed more practice ) Still ended up 2nd in a 15 minute main.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BlueGlowBoy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckeye_Bullet

This is wayy better.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On the same platform ie, 1/10 touring cars.

When they come down to 1550 grams next year the power to weight ratio will be better.

Be interesting to see how much difference loosing 200 grams will make on the straights and infield.

Personally I think the electrics will still win, lighter, better acceleration and probably better top end speed.

I saw a 1/10 Electric TC going up against a field of 220mm 1/10 ICs recently and it held it's own with rubber tires and much less downforce than the 220mm cars.

And I know 220mm IC is atleast 1 sec a lap faster than 200mm TC.

Either way both are cool, but the noise and smell and joy of a real engine can't be beaten imho.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Maybe it still depends on the track.

In 2012 even with modern electronics, I believe the 1/10 nitro 200mm tc were still faster (laptimes) than Mod electric TC at the Thailand RC Addict Track by 0.5 seconds. Driven by factory drivers.

And on some track, 1/10 electric 235mm pan cars faster than 1/8 nitro.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by WheelNut
Novak released their SS5800 brushless system in 2003, which was the first brushless system specifically designed and marketed for cars. In 2005 a brushless motor won a class at the carpet nats and people went crazy because of ROAR's questionable rule changes.
Also, People had been running Lehner, Hacker, and other Germany or Czech built brushless systems for probably 4-5 years before the Novak system came out. I remember checking out Lehner and Aveox motors online back in 2001-02 for $180+ each.

Orion brought out the first hardcase lipo packs for cars in late 2005. Retail price as $125 for a 4800mah pack with what would probably be about a 20C discharge rating.

Electric has been faster than nitro on many tracks for a long time (probably for 12-15 years) because the throttle/brake control is just so much smoother.
+1
Old 06-18-2012, 04:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlueGlowBoy

we are planning on improving that greatly this year

but its not the fastest full body electric drag car right now. 2 or 3 quicker right now, planning on changing that