Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya 1/12 R/C RM-01 "Racing Master"

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 06:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Anyone have a suggestion for a good/small receiver for this car?

I am using a Futaba 3PM with a Speed Passion esc. I don't want to try and get the 603FF that comes with the radio to fit in such a small area. Also looking to save some weight.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks.

Last edited by CSeils; 04-28-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CSeils
Anyone have a suggestion for a good/small receiver for this car?

I am using a Futaba 3PM with a Speed Passion esc. I don't want to try and get the 603FF that comes with the radio to fit in such a small area. Also looking to save some weight.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks.
I don't know of a smaller receiver but I can tell you a 603FS (same size as 603FF) will fit, as well as a 1S voltage booster, Novak Club ESC (roughly same footprint as a Speed Passion Reventon) and a full size servo (Futaba S3050).

Tamiya 1/12 R/C RM-01 "Racing Master"-image.jpg
Old 05-01-2014, 09:23 PM
Tech Adept

Hi, I am looking for some suggestions for tires.

The available tires at nearby LHS are quite limited, as follows :

Front Tires
Tamiya Standard (#51483) / High-Grip (#54334)
Shepherd Hard (SH12AFH)/Medium (SH12AFM)/Soft (SH12AFS)
JACO Double Pink/Magenta/Black

Rear Tires
Tamiya Standard (#51484) / High-Grip (#54335)
Shepherd Hard (SH12ARH)/Medium (SH12ARM)
JACO Yellow/Magenta/White/Gray

We run at medium grip asphalt (outdoor), which of the above combination would be better ?

Thanks
Old 05-02-2014, 01:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Clawhammers
Hi, I am looking for some suggestions for tires.

The available tires at nearby LHS are quite limited, as follows :

Front Tires
Tamiya Standard (#51483) / High-Grip (#54334)
Shepherd Hard (SH12AFH)/Medium (SH12AFM)/Soft (SH12AFS)
JACO Double Pink/Magenta/Black

Rear Tires
Tamiya Standard (#51484) / High-Grip (#54335)
Shepherd Hard (SH12ARH)/Medium (SH12ARM)
JACO Yellow/Magenta/White/Gray

We run at medium grip asphalt (outdoor), which of the above combination would be better ?

Thanks
I am not the most experienced with my RM, but so far the best all round tyre combo has been the Tamiya tyres. Last time I raced I used the option fronts and standard rears, mostly because the option fronts actually last longer (the grip isn't THAT much different in my experience). Using Tamiya tyres also negates the limited ride height adjustment.

With the Jacos, Yellow and Black are supposed to very similar to the Tamiya tyres.

Wouldn't bother with the Shepherds unless you can get soft rears (notoriously hard to get in my experience). They don't seem to match up with anything else. I've tried Med and Hard fronts with a variety of Jaco Rears (Pink, White, Yellow) and Tamiya Rears and they just don't balance. Maybe if you need a LOT of steering somewhere.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:01 AM
Tech Adept

@ShadowAU

Thanks for sharing mate. I haven't thought the ride height adjustment to my consideration.

I guess the Tamiya's option front and standard rear would be the better combination.

1 last query, if I use HW 13T motor with FDR of 2.500 and 1s 3.7v 2000mah battery, then (theoretically) how long would this foam tires last on asphalt ?
Would it last for (at least) 3 (or 4) full battery charges ?

Thanks

Last edited by Clawhammers; 05-02-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

There are a couple options that deal with the ride height issue.

Tuning Haus makes aluminum ride height adapters that will get you -2.5mm which is about max without grinding.

Alpha Giken lets you use a standard 1/4" axle and gives a lot of ride height range. Around -3.5mm offset.

TRG Again up to -3.5mm offset with the stock axle.

You will need to grind the screw hole for flipping the plastic piece though to get the max ride height with the Alpha and TRG adapters. But I can't imagine ever using the high position with 12th?!?!?

Mike Slaughter
Old 05-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Clawhammers
@ShadowAU

Thanks for sharing mate. I haven't thought the ride height adjustment to my consideration.

I guess the Tamiya's option front and standard rear would be the better combination.

1 last query, if I use HW 13T motor with FDR of 2.500 and 1s 3.7v 2000mah battery, then (theoretically) how long would this foam tires last on asphalt ?
Would it last for (at least) 3 (or 4) full battery charges ?

Thanks
That's a hard one to answer because it will depend on how abrasive the asphalt is. To give a personal example - I recently raced on a medium grip track and I manged to make one set of Tamiya tyres last 5, 8 minute races - mind you I was 4 laps slower than the fastest guys but in comparison they used 3 sets of fronts to my 1 set for the meeting.

Originally Posted by masterhit
There are a couple options that deal with the ride height issue.
To be honest I find front ride height far more of an issue than rear. I have the Tuning Haus inserts and haven't used the 2.5 yet as I simply haven't worn tyres small enough or been on a track smooth enough to need it. Even on outdoor asphalt I am running around 4.5mm to 5.0mm ride height.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Tech Adept

@ShadowAU

Duly noted. Thank you very much for your explanation and sharing mates.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

TCS Race at TQRC tomorrow

Mazda is fun to drive

Old 05-17-2014, 10:41 PM
Tech Adept

Nice specs

Good luck tomorrow and look forward for your result
Old 05-19-2014, 11:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi redbull im all the way over here in new zealand and ive just got the rm01 with mazda 787bbody. Can you tell me how you found the body handling wise compared to the higher down force bodys on the market . I ask this because we run 12th with mod motors here of around 5.5turn with lipo batts and were not aloud tyre aditives of any kind.

Cheers jamie
Old 05-20-2014, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

Hi guys, just a quick question and I'm out of here. Can anyone let me know what is the diameter of the pivot balls used on this car? Tamiya item # 51485.
Thank you.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:37 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Guys

Never drove any of these 1:12 cars but I'm a bit curious.
Wondering about the Tamiya since I kind of like Tamiya.
With the EFRA using modified or 10.5T motor I'm wondering about some "few" things.

What spurs and pinions is usable with a 540-motor?
What batteries are good for 1:12?
With the standard set from Tamiya, what MUST be swapped out to make the car work on a track?
Old 07-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NoBrainer
Hi Guys

With the EFRA using modified or 10.5T motor I'm wondering about some "few" things.

With the standard set from Tamiya, what MUST be swapped out to make the car work on a track?
Still a lot of grey in those questions -

What class are you intending to run? 1S 540 would be so slow you could outrun it on foot

Most 1/12 classes run 1s batteries but I have read about some 2s 21.5T classes existing. As for what brand that's for you to decide but I will say a lot of us here in Australia haven't had any complaints with the Turnigy 1S packs (ROAR approved of course).

Are you thinking of an RM-01 or 01X? The 01X has most of the options out of the box but even the 01 works pretty well in standard form. The 01 also comes more complete package out of the box with body and tyres. As typical with anything Tamiya there is a full range of options available but the only things I've swapped on mine are optional oil pitch damper, the alloy motor mount and the harder option front suspension.

Overall the RM is a good car but its not really at the same level as the top brand cars. That being said I love mine and since I am never going to win anything these days anyway I don't mind it being a bit slower, given how easy it is to drive.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by NoBrainer
Hi Guys

Use the Tamiya spur gear adapter and 1/8" diffballs, with a 76-78t 64p gear, and 64p pinion, which are standard on all 1/12th cars
Any 1s lipo
The Kit form RMX is an out of box racer, some have bolted on an AE or Xenon front end for more tuning options
Check in with the local racers at your track for tips on motor, battery, electronics, tires, and setup help
The RM-01(X) can use springs from other cars, as settings are often similar across many different makes in 1/12th scale

Tamiya Option front, kit rear foams, are as good as any tire available, only drawback, is you have to mount them yourself

To use standard pre-mount 1/12 wheels I recommend
RC RM01 Front Axle - For 1/8" x 5/16" Bearing

And rear wheels will need a decent off-set to keep front/rear wheel-track similar

Spur Gear adpater

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.