Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carpet maintenance ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:34 AM
Tech Adept

Default Carpet maintenance ?

Just wondered if there is anything maintenance wise we should be doing with our carpets. They are used for about 4 hours a week and then rolled and kept off the ground till rolled out again. We run additive with rubber and foam tyres each week. I can't remember it ever being hoovered so was wondering if it makes a difference at all ?
Old 08-30-2011, 04:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Monkeys punk
Just wondered if there is anything maintenance wise we should be doing with our carpets. They are used for about 4 hours a week and then rolled and kept off the ground till rolled out again. We run additive with rubber and foam tyres each week. I can't remember it ever being hoovered so was wondering if it makes a difference at all ?
We vacuum our at least every other race. I don't think it hurts traction although I'm sure there are some who will disagree.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
We vacuum our at least every other race. I don't think it hurts traction although I'm sure there are some who will disagree.
I don't think it really hurts traction. Since all the widely acceptable additives are more solvent based, it's probably better for the carpet as well. We generally vacuum the offline area each week, but usually only sweep the whole thing when we change layouts.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
I don't think it really hurts traction. Since all the widely acceptable additives are more solvent based, it's probably better for the carpet as well. We generally vacuum the offline area each week, but usually only sweep the whole thing when we change layouts.
Yes, it is nice pulling a car off the track and not having it covered in filth.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:36 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
Yes, it is nice pulling a car off the track and not having it covered in filth.
I know where you can find one of those! I think it's for sale if you're interested.

We vacuum the entire carpet when we change layouts. Offline as it needs it.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hello Racers, First i would change the layout quite often as to get bite all over the rug and not to wear it out. Second don't all ways run the same way. let the rug breathe some. next i would vacuum the rug before you roll it up every time. this way nothing gets in the back of carpet and makes lumps in your track as in foam chunks and body clips.screws, the more often you roll it up the harder it is going to be to get flat, starts to get ripples in it. and all ways roll on a pole, and try not to roll any crease's in it. Hope this helps, Ron H,
Old 08-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Gone Racin
Hello Racers, First i would change the layout quite often as to get bite all over the rug and not to wear it out. Second don't all ways run the same way. let the rug breathe some. next i would vacuum the rug before you roll it up every time. this way nothing gets in the back of carpet and makes lumps in your track as in foam chunks and body clips.screws, the more often you roll it up the harder it is going to be to get flat, starts to get ripples in it. and all ways roll on a pole, and try not to roll any crease's in it. Hope this helps, Ron H,
When we roll it up (not often) we use 10' sections of 4" PVC pipe as a core. If you roll it up often, you can try rolling it face up one time, and face down the next time so that it tends to lay flat after unrolling. If you don't use a core, the carpet will tend to flatten out when rolled up, then the next time you unroll it, it will have bumps where the "folds" are.

6" diameter PVC pipe is better (if you can find it).
Old 08-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Tech Adept

Cheers guys. We run a different layout each week and the carpets are used in different parts each week (Randomly) they are also rolled carefully on 4" pipes so its maybe just a hoover that they need.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
I know where you can find one of those! I think it's for sale if you're interested.
Ha ha I'm not.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default sono tube

We use (approximately) 10 inch diameter "Sonotube" to roll our 7 rolls of carpet about 3 times a month. Sonotube is used as a concrete form so it is very durable yet surprisingly not terribly heavy. It still takes some effort to keep the ripples out but if rolled carefully it has worked well. We also use some velcro on the tubes to help guide us initially when starting the roll. Hope that helps.

Jake D.

http://www.sonotube.com/
Old 08-30-2011, 11:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Stop by your local carpet store and get some "cores" for free.

That's a great idea using velcro to get the roll started. Thanks for the tip Magnet Top.