R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2011, 04:34 AM   #1
Tech Adept
 
Monkeys punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 142
Default Carpet maintenance ?

Just wondered if there is anything maintenance wise we should be doing with our carpets. They are used for about 4 hours a week and then rolled and kept off the ground till rolled out again. We run additive with rubber and foam tyres each week. I can't remember it ever being hoovered so was wondering if it makes a difference at all ?
__________________
Top Racing Sabre mini
Tamiya m05
Sakura zero
Monkeys punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:40 AM   #2
Tech Master
 
Chaz955i's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,022
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeys punk View Post
Just wondered if there is anything maintenance wise we should be doing with our carpets. They are used for about 4 hours a week and then rolled and kept off the ground till rolled out again. We run additive with rubber and foam tyres each week. I can't remember it ever being hoovered so was wondering if it makes a difference at all ?
We vacuum our at least every other race. I don't think it hurts traction although I'm sure there are some who will disagree.
__________________
At The Gate Bizzos
Chaz955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:33 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
CypressMidWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 4,618
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
We vacuum our at least every other race. I don't think it hurts traction although I'm sure there are some who will disagree.
I don't think it really hurts traction. Since all the widely acceptable additives are more solvent based, it's probably better for the carpet as well. We generally vacuum the offline area each week, but usually only sweep the whole thing when we change layouts.
__________________
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
Tech Master
 
Chaz955i's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,022
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
I don't think it really hurts traction. Since all the widely acceptable additives are more solvent based, it's probably better for the carpet as well. We generally vacuum the offline area each week, but usually only sweep the whole thing when we change layouts.
Yes, it is nice pulling a car off the track and not having it covered in filth.
__________________
At The Gate Bizzos
Chaz955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Regional Moderator
 
CarbonJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
Yes, it is nice pulling a car off the track and not having it covered in filth.
I know where you can find one of those! I think it's for sale if you're interested.

We vacuum the entire carpet when we change layouts. Offline as it needs it.
__________________
*** The Gate - Celebrating 8 years at the same location ***
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Tech Addict
 
Gone Racin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 614
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Hello Racers, First i would change the layout quite often as to get bite all over the rug and not to wear it out. Second don't all ways run the same way. let the rug breathe some. next i would vacuum the rug before you roll it up every time. this way nothing gets in the back of carpet and makes lumps in your track as in foam chunks and body clips.screws, the more often you roll it up the harder it is going to be to get flat, starts to get ripples in it. and all ways roll on a pole, and try not to roll any crease's in it. Hope this helps, Ron H,
Gone Racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
Regional Moderator
 
CarbonJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Racin View Post
Hello Racers, First i would change the layout quite often as to get bite all over the rug and not to wear it out. Second don't all ways run the same way. let the rug breathe some. next i would vacuum the rug before you roll it up every time. this way nothing gets in the back of carpet and makes lumps in your track as in foam chunks and body clips.screws, the more often you roll it up the harder it is going to be to get flat, starts to get ripples in it. and all ways roll on a pole, and try not to roll any crease's in it. Hope this helps, Ron H,
When we roll it up (not often) we use 10' sections of 4" PVC pipe as a core. If you roll it up often, you can try rolling it face up one time, and face down the next time so that it tends to lay flat after unrolling. If you don't use a core, the carpet will tend to flatten out when rolled up, then the next time you unroll it, it will have bumps where the "folds" are.

6" diameter PVC pipe is better (if you can find it).
__________________
*** The Gate - Celebrating 8 years at the same location ***
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
Tech Adept
 
Monkeys punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 142
Default

Cheers guys. We run a different layout each week and the carpets are used in different parts each week (Randomly) they are also rolled carefully on 4" pipes so its maybe just a hoover that they need.
__________________
Top Racing Sabre mini
Tamiya m05
Sakura zero
Monkeys punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
Tech Master
 
Chaz955i's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,022
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
I know where you can find one of those! I think it's for sale if you're interested.
Ha ha I'm not.
__________________
At The Gate Bizzos
Chaz955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:02 AM   #10
Tech Master
 
Magnet Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,966
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default sono tube

We use (approximately) 10 inch diameter "Sonotube" to roll our 7 rolls of carpet about 3 times a month. Sonotube is used as a concrete form so it is very durable yet surprisingly not terribly heavy. It still takes some effort to keep the ripples out but if rolled carefully it has worked well. We also use some velcro on the tubes to help guide us initially when starting the roll. Hope that helps.

Jake D.

http://www.sonotube.com/
Magnet Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:13 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic
 
BrodieMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 761
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Stop by your local carpet store and get some "cores" for free.

That's a great idea using velcro to get the roll started. Thanks for the tip Magnet Top.
__________________
Mark Richardson
Kawartha Radio Controlled Racers
Lakefield Hobby & Game. ExtremeRCforum
Schumacher Mi4cx CRC Gen-X 10 LE
BrodieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twin Cities Rc Club Winter Carpet Season Mark O'Brien Minnesota and North/South Dakota Racing 5118 12-16-2017 10:22 PM
Bending Corners Raceways, Carpet, Asphalt, We got it! TireShredder California Racing 7617 10-07-2013 11:37 PM
Indoor Carpet Racing @ RC Performance in Madison Associated-08 Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 3426 11-25-2010 04:03 PM
Horsham Rc Carpet racing 2009 Jeff Cuffs Racing Forum 3890 09-12-2010 02:01 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:36 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net