Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Steve...

I've got a smart stop module and wondering exactly how it works. I tried to run my lipo down just to see if it was working and the throttle did blip but nothing on the LED light. Should the light flash at the same time as the blips or does it start a little later. Guess I'm just wondering what I should see and if I've got the LED plugged in properly. From the directions it sounds like they should happen at the same time. I don't want to unnecessarily keep running my lipo down just to see if the light works.

Thanks,

pd
Old 11-27-2007, 08:54 AM
The Evicerator

Hey PD,

The Blue LED should start flashing only after the Lipo pack has reached the cut off voltage of 6.25 volts.

Originally Posted by padailey
Steve...

I've got a smart stop module and wondering exactly how it works. I tried to run my lipo down just to see if it was working and the throttle did blip but nothing on the LED light. Should the light flash at the same time as the blips or does it start a little later. Guess I'm just wondering what I should see and if I've got the LED plugged in properly. From the directions it sounds like they should happen at the same time. I don't want to unnecessarily keep running my lipo down just to see if the light works.

Thanks,

pd
Old 11-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
I would like to but I don't think so... company function over the weekend... we'll see though!
Novak will be well represented should you not be able to make it up here.

EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 02:11 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

"Once you learn the map, you'll start doing better"
Old 11-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default XBR or GTB

Hi Steve: At our club a couple of people are interested in running the XBR ESC and 10.5 pro motors, instead of a GTB and 10.5 pro motor...performance wise, will there be any diffrence between the two systems...let say 2 drivers the exact same cars and set up, but one driver is using an XBR and 10.5 Pro and the other a GTB and 10.5 pro...will one be a bit faster than the other? We might just run XBR and 10.5 pro motors for $160, vs. $250 for GTB and 10.5 pro, as long as an Xbr can keep up and run just as well as GTB...
Old 11-27-2007, 02:38 PM
The Evicerator

There is a little bit of difference in the performance that you would see with the 10.5 and the GTB vs. the XBR... I think that if you guys are a pretty relaxed bunch of racers then the difference might not be that apparent or noticable... but I think that once you really start trying to pull every little bit out of a car it's those little differences that can add up.

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Hi Steve: At our club a couple of people are interested in running the XBR ESC and 10.5 pro motors, instead of a GTB and 10.5 pro motor...performance wise, will there be any diffrence between the two systems...let say 2 drivers the exact same cars and set up, but one driver is using an XBR and 10.5 Pro and the other a GTB and 10.5 pro...will one be a bit faster than the other? We might just run XBR and 10.5 pro motors for $160, vs. $250 for GTB and 10.5 pro, as long as an Xbr can keep up and run just as well as GTB...
Old 11-27-2007, 02:38 PM
The Evicerator

"um.... thanks bro..."

I can't wait to start learning the maps!

Originally Posted by TSR6
"Once you learn the map, you'll start doing better"
Old 11-28-2007, 02:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There is a little bit of difference in the performance that you would see with the 10.5 and the GTB vs. the XBR... I think that if you guys are a pretty relaxed bunch of racers then the difference might not be that apparent or noticable... but I think that once you really start trying to pull every little bit out of a car it's those little differences that can add up.
Did this myself, albeit with 13.5SS motor, I normally run FDR of 4.36 using my GTB, with the XBR 4.52 had the motor up to 200deg -it was way hotter than with the GTB.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Capelracer
Did this myself, albeit with 13.5SS motor, I normally run FDR of 4.36 using my GTB, with the XBR 4.52 had the motor up to 200deg -it was way hotter than with the GTB.
What about gearing the XBR right, and then comparing if it can keep up with a GTB system?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You're looking well today...
Old 11-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
What about gearing the XBR right, and then comparing if it can keep up with a GTB system?
Umm.. that was geared right - the XBR was reasonably quick, but noticably slower on the straight compared to the GTB. As I stated the XBR -13.5 combo was geared to the upper limits of the 13.5 operating temp range, my GTB gearing runs cooler than the XBR did, and I had 1 tooth less on the pinion than I usually do with the GTB.

(The track we run on is a 1/10th nitro, plenty of full throttle, 170ft straight)

Last edited by Capelracer; 11-28-2007 at 02:48 PM. Reason: More info for morons
Old 11-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Mark,

I don't know but I will check for you to see if one of the engineers has any ideas...

Are you sure that the ESC will setup even with a slower radio system... maybe try turning the HRS off... if the ESC is bad it might not take a setup from any any radio!

I will get an answer back to you on this as soon as everyone gets back in the office!
Thanks! I tried HRS last night with a GT7. Once again the GT7 can't be programmed in HRS, but otherwise it functions as expected in HRS (i.e. you can tune the transmitter so that when you pull the trigger the motor speeds up, etc.) I turned the transmitter to PPM mode and the one-touch programming started working as it should. So I was probably seeing the same thing with my Cyclone. Won't know for sure until I hook it back up and try.

My GTB programs in HRS. It would be nice for the spec sheets of new Novak speed controls to call out whether or not the speed control is HRS compatible.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Steve! What are you going to do about keeping it from raining us out on Saturday?
Old 11-29-2007, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Hi Steve,

Would a brushless system give longer runtime with older cells, than a brushed set-up?

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2007, 08:54 AM
The Evicerator

Hey Mark,

I spoke with one of the engineers about your problem yesterday and he seemed pretty surprised that the cyclone wouldn't take a one touch setup from your HRS... he said there shouldn't be anything preventing it from taking the setup and that he specifically remembers testing the one touch setup function with very fast frame rates ...

If we have some time we will try to dig up a cyclone around here and see what we can find out about it!

Originally Posted by MarkBrown
Thanks! I tried HRS last night with a GT7. Once again the GT7 can't be programmed in HRS, but otherwise it functions as expected in HRS (i.e. you can tune the transmitter so that when you pull the trigger the motor speeds up, etc.) I turned the transmitter to PPM mode and the one-touch programming started working as it should. So I was probably seeing the same thing with my Cyclone. Won't know for sure until I hook it back up and try.

My GTB programs in HRS. It would be nice for the spec sheets of new Novak speed controls to call out whether or not the speed control is HRS compatible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.