Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 06:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Happy Birthday Mister!

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaruuuuuuuuuuuuuupppppppppppppppp ppp...
Old 02-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Still Bill
Happy Birthday Mister!

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaruuuuuuuuuuuuuupppppppppppppppp ppp...

It's

EEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:20 AM
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by Tony Vega
I'll rescue this thread from page 3.

Steve - does the novak speed control program cover completely fried GTB ESCs? In other words, can I send in the one I fried this weekend, pay the $69 and get a replacement? Why it blew up, I have no idea but I am not dwelling on that. The replacement I pulled out of my sedan worked perfectly.
Tony,

You are correct, the non-warranty replacement should work the way you explain it.

Originally Posted by svines1972
Finally got a set of Pinions for a TC5R with GTB/13.5/Orion 3800 2s. Currently installed 78/33 which would be 4.73. I have the GTB set on the factory settings. It seems sluggish. If it is the gearing, which direction should I head with the pinions? Higher or lower? Currently I have 28 thru 34.
Svines,

Are you running on a small or large track?

You will probably have to gear up a bit from where you are at... I like to have people start out around 4.5 and go up from there.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:21 AM
The Evicerator

Default Happy Birthday!

Thanks for all the Happy Birthday wishes guys!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I will be running at Bending Corners. I tried it last night on the street and geared it at 31/78 (5.03) and that seemed to speed it up. Ran it for about 5 minutes, no body on, and the motor was still cool to the touch.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

Hi Steve

Could you please explain just exactly what function the GTB min drive adjustment performs.

Is this a punch control or does it simply effect the amount of minimum drive available at the slightest pull of the trigger.

Thanks

Geoff
Old 02-03-2009, 12:40 PM
The Evicerator

Looped:

Minimum drive is the % of the total drive power that is passed to the motor in the very first step of throttle outside of the deadband.

So as you move the trigger from neutral through the deadband, you will have no throttle output, but once you exit the deadband, the first power output will be the minimum drive amount
Old 02-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)
Default Loose Ring

Steve,

I got a new havoc spec system with the 17.5.

On earlier Novak motors that I own, the colored ring in the center is held in place tightly by the two endbells. On this one the ring is loose and can not only rotate but move back and forth a little. It seems this opening would let more dirt in the motor.

Have you changed the stator stack length or something? Should I be concerned about this?
Old 02-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta_man
Steve,

I got a new havoc spec system with the 17.5.

On earlier Novak motors that I own, the colored ring in the center is held in place tightly by the two endbells. On this one the ring is loose and can not only rotate but move back and forth a little. It seems this opening would let more dirt in the motor.

Have you changed the stator stack length or something? Should I be concerned about this?
+1 I was just about to post the same thing about my Havoc 17.5...
Old 02-04-2009, 02:22 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks STeve

Theres a fair bit of mis-information out there you know
Old 02-04-2009, 03:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey,

Here are those images that were posted.
(Hope it's ok Steve?)

MiCk B. :-)

Originally Posted by srp67
I seen on the race results that you where at the birds and seem to be doing pretty good...I do have a question if you have the time. In either your thread or the Novak thread i remember seeing 3 pictures of the back of a Novak motor showing the different settings for the timing adjustments, I can not seem to locate them again. I have recently switched to brushless and trying to get the most out of them...I am running 17.5 and any help would be great. Good luck at the Snowbirds.

Steve P.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:04 AM
The Evicerator

Mick B,

Thanks for posting those pictures up! I had pretty much forgotten about finding them from everything that's been going on this week!

Regarding the loose motor sleeve: There are always manufacturing tollerances involved when making anything... if sleeves wind up slightly short... or lamination stacks aren't as compressed as previous stacks, you can sometimes see a loose timing ring.

Although it can allow some dirt inside the small space it's not really anything I would be too terribly concerned with due to the fact the dirt would have to travel up or down the motor's length somehow before it could really get inside the motor to where the rotor is an cause some sort of problem.

If you are concerned about it you can simply remove the motor from you vehicle every so often, disassemble it, and simply brush it off.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Mick B
Thanks for posting the pictures for me....

Steve P.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Steve, Thanks for the help at Snowbirds this past week and the info on running single cell lipo!!

Mark
Old 02-05-2009, 04:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No problem at all.

I saved those photos as soon as I saw the post. I have a copy of them printed out and always with me in the pit box!

I've found the useful to have at the track.

MiCk B. :-)

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
Mick B,

Thanks for posting those pictures up! I had pretty much forgotten about finding them from everything that's been going on this week!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.