Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Associated TC4 >

Team Associated TC4

Like Tree298Likes

Team Associated TC4

Old 11-23-2005, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just put the newer vcs shocks on my car and i am having trouble with oil leaking out of the tops between the plastic cap and the screw on aluminum ring. any one have this type of problem. i built them like the manual says and no luck. any suggestions would be great. thanks
Old 11-23-2005, 09:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

cooling fans - been using these since day 1 of my TC4, full duct and everything... works great! after a 5 min full-on heat i can come off the driver stand and just put my finger on the motor... almost indefinitely... it gets warm, but wont burn... in 19T and mod it works just as well helping to keep the motor consistent on the track, as well as keeping brushes from burning up.

Mikey VCS2 shocks - make sure you do not have the shock cap o-ring on the body... the new caps do not need the o-ring seal anymore and use of the o-ring will prevent the aluminum retainer from sandwiching the bladder and cap properly... also keep in mind that you have to roll the bladder on and the edges of the bladder must be flush with the edge of the shock body. if all you do is place the bladder on the oil and there is too much oil underneath it, there maybe enough pressure to force some of this excess past the bladder edges and up the top of the cap when the shaft compresses...
Old 11-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveW
Its 50/50 at this time. Its getting close, but time off from work is the issue. I really wanted to go and run mod this year... but i havent had near enough track time to feel competitive. I know alot of tricks used in oval will work on TC... mixed/multi-compound tires, mixed spring rates, etc. The FTTC4 could be fitted with an offset/slider battery tray... like an oval car. It would require a bit of dremel work... but i see it being a definite possibility. You arent going to get any runtime with the car before the Birds?

- DaveW

There is a Birds warm up race in Tampa that I am going to in January. I hope your able to make the Birds should be a lot of fun. Mike asked me to do some internet interviews for him while I am filming my tv show. I should be hovering around the computer set up....my name is Jeff, if you make it, be sure and say Hi.....By the way, have you had any problems with durability on the FT TC4? I have been reading other forums and they now have me worried.............Looks like I may need to stock up on arms......
Old 11-24-2005, 07:54 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

My TC4 didn't break anymore parts than any one of the other touring cars I have had and I have had a bunch of them. Just the normal stuff breaks like arms, caster blocks and so on. Now on any shaft car if you run spools gear strippage can happen and can be a commen thing but thats the price we pay to have that tick more acceleration.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ginsu
There is a Birds warm up race in Tampa that I am going to in January. I hope your able to make the Birds should be a lot of fun. Mike asked me to do some internet interviews for him while I am filming my tv show. I should be hovering around the computer set up....my name is Jeff, if you make it, be sure and say Hi.....By the way, have you had any problems with durability on the FT TC4? I have been reading other forums and they now have me worried.............Looks like I may need to stock up on arms......

Yeah, the Birds is awesome... i have been twice thus far. I missed last year for personal reasons. This year i refuse to shell out 1K+ for a B main showing. If i havent had enough practice for mod with the new car, then ill save the bread and fix my 1/1 car and hit Cleveland in the fall. I dont need to goto a race like that for a measure of skill... i have a personal transponder for that.

As far as FTTC4 durability factor... i would have to agree with Brian (WYD)... anything breaks if you hit the pipe hard enough. At my local track, the FK05 sells quite a few replacement parts... so even a car with the title of "R/C Tank" is vulnerable. I will admit my parts box is alot smaller with the TC4 than it was with the TC3, but even with the TC3 my replacement arms/parts in the box would be outdated by updates/change, before i would break them. I could literally hold all the arms/parts i have broken in TC the past 5 years in one hand... and that would include a meeting with a parked car tire in a sweeeet but brief drift session out in my local street with a silly mod motor. The TC4 requires a bit more "upkeep" to maintain a tight suspension with little slop, when compared to other cars. But IMO, i think the belt era is soon to come to end... again. I hope you do enjoy the car Jeff, and if i do make it to Florida, i will definitely look ya up! 80% of the fun is meeting new people that have the same R/C addiction!

- DaveW
Old 11-25-2005, 07:44 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

I don't mind shimming the car some and in reality parts are cheap for the TC4 so I don't car if I replace a part or two. I'm racing and when racing parts wear harder than when just playing.Associated has been around since the early 80's and survived all this time so they must be getting something right. Associated has just not folded to the pressure to make a car of the week or with every new fad. I have ran almost every touring car made and in reality they all seem to work well.

Dave a bumch of us are going to run at Frederick Dec 17th. I Mike Jr and Sr are going and bucnh of others if you get the asphalt bug. I will be running my new to me FT TC4. Hope to get it out to practice with in the next week or so.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Does anyone have a list of compatible parts from the tc3? I am looking into building a BMI TC4 with a tc3 donor.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Tech Elite

Default FT Durability

Hey Guys

I've been running the FT for about 3 months now and its a tough little car. its done cartwheels, launches, impacts...you name it, its been done. Broken two caster blocks and thats it.

But as mentioned, it is all about how hard you hit the wall and how often. I personally saw a FK05 hit the same corner I hit; he broke and I didn't. If you looking for tough, Team Associated is the way to go. I've run them indoors and offroad and have been satisfied every time.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

hello, i'm just curious if anyone has tried the jrx-s front spindles on the tc4. i used to run the xxx-s spindles on my tc3 because they seemed to be alittle stronger. so, i was looking at the jrx-s ones and they look the same as the xxx-s ones but with an improved ackerman location-- i didn't know if this would benificial on the tc4. thanks

keith
Old 11-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

It's funny you mentioned that Keith because I have it on my to do list of things I want to try.

Ok kiddies here's the latest setup not alot of changes but the changes that I made did help alot.

Front
70 wt losi oil
2 piston
purple spring
3rd hole out on tower inside on arm
camber is 2nd hole out silver ballstud 1 washer
castor 6 Deg (this was a big help getting the car to rotate)
gold sway bar
droop set at 5
ride height at 4.5
lower/outside hole on steering knuckle with 2 spacers for bump steer
no shims under suspension blocks.
wheel base...two shims behind 1 in front
no washers on steering rack...just silver ballstuds

Rear
60 wt losi oil
2 piston
copper spring
2nd hole out on tower
outside on arm
camber is 2nd hole out silver ballstud 1 washer and inside on AE hub
wheel base is two shims in front 1 behind.
camber is -1 (adjust to make tires flat)
ride height is 4.5mm
Droop 4mm

Gearing 37/100 with small tires (55mm)
Parma cyan and magenta tires
Paragon full rear half front
Parma alpha
BMI Chassis
Express Extreme 3800's
Express Extreme Monster

I tried alot of stuff but this seemed to be the best balance and allowed me to now focus on my line more.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:27 PM
Tech Addict

Well I just picked up my FT this weekend and I must say it is a nice piece of kit
Everything went together nicely and the steering rack and suspension are nice and tight, quite a bit tighter than my Team TC4 actually.
But damn it the rear body mounts are slightly different

But I am very pleased to see that Assoc. have finally decided to include THIN wheel nuts with the car, so now I don't have to go and buy some Losi ones
Old 11-28-2005, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wyd
Dave a bunch of us are going to run at Frederick Dec 17th. I Mike Jr and Sr are going and bucnh of others if you get the asphalt bug. I will be running my new to me FT TC4. Hope to get it out to practice with in the next week or so.
I just might do that. I really liked that track and had a great time on the tarmac. Has tire compound changed with the cooler weather? I ran RP36's when i was there.

- DaveW
Old 11-28-2005, 07:15 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by DaveW
I just might do that. I really liked that track and had a great time on the tarmac. Has tire compound changed with the cooler weather? I ran RP36's when i was there.

- DaveW
Actually most of us ran TakeOff 32's. I know I normally run the 32's but a few did run RP36's. I think Craig Xavier ran them a few times in 19T. I think the temp at the shop is pretty consistant. I think the standard tire combinations you ran before will still be just fine.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Question

Need some guidance.Built my Ft with the carpet setup.Set the droop as per the instructions,5 front,4 rear.This was done without the shocks.When I put the shocks on,the settings change.Seems the shock length is reducing my downtravel.The rear droop changes to 5 etc.Question is...is this normal or should I lengthen the shocks by unscrewing the lower ballcups.I think it's obvious(?) the answer,but would really appreciate some other(wiser) opinions.Thanks,Mario.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:30 AM
Tech Adept

Lotus you have to unscrew the shock end off the shock shaft where it pops onto the ball link about 1-2 turns then you should be fine! I think we all ran across this! good luck! For any kind of ride hight adjustment or position of shock on the tower or arm you should take inconsideration of shock length!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.