Wiki Posts
Search

New SPEC Class racing motor from EPIC/Trinity

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theisgroup
that is because the gtb speedo actually had a temp sensor that monitored the motor temp and the lrp does not (blue wire)
I dont remember turning my motor off either
Old 02-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
I smoked one motor this year in 17.5 Spec at our local track. Missed the gear by one tooth. Think it was more of a crappy motor than anything though (small name brand I was trying out).

I have not seen very many motors melt down in the past few years either and think it was early on in BL when guys didnt know how to gear them that there were issues. Mike Haynes had one go at the birds this year in Super stock TC but it was a fluke where he was boosting it VERY high he said.

I think its a minor thing now that some guys are using as excuses and blowing it out of proportion because they are misinformed for the most part.

EA
I tend to think that the majority of motors that go now are related to boost experiments or new untested software. That is what i have seen locally.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
I have not seen very many motors melt down in the past few years either and think it was early on in BL when guys didnt know how to gear them that there were issues. Mike Haynes had one go at the birds this year in Super stock TC but it was a fluke where he was boosting it VERY high he said. EA
i have not been to many big races, but this year at the birds there seam to be quite a few smoke bombs on track. i want to say that a couple were in the spec classes.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
I tend to think that the majority of motors that go now are related to boost experiments or new untested software. That is what i have seen locally.
I would agree with that and even those are few and far between now. Mine was just a cheap motor from an unnamed manufacture! LOL

EA
Old 02-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I dont remember turning my motor off either
it was a big thing back in the day. guys were complaining that the car would just shut off. most want a way to stop it from happening and that is when the blue wire came up and most were cutting the wire so they could finish races. especially guys running outdoors in the hotter climates
Old 02-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by theisgroup
i have not been to many big races, but this year at the birds there seam to be quite a few smoke bombs on track. i want to say that a couple were in the spec classes.
What we kept smelling was a certain racer testing speedo stuff and blowing caps up. He actually never blew a motor up....Just caps! Man did they stink too! LOL. Haynes was the only motor I seen go up in smoke.

EA
Old 02-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

So you never actually melted down any motors. I have melted down, by which I mean smoke comes out and the epoxy in the motor is all over the place, multiple motors trying to get everything right for boosted classes. I have also watched others do this.
It's actually quite easy to do this in boosted, by being too aggressive on the setup without testing, I'll give you that. Unboosted though, I've had those motors go from 130 degrees and lacking just a little pace, to over 200 by going up ONE tooth on the pinion.
You probably can get your slightly overheated motors to work like new again with new rotors.
Probably so, if I still had them. I think the main reason they didn't totally melt down was due to some high grade materials used in the construction, though I hesitate to mention the brand in certain company.
I also have been at several series races with spec 17.5 classes, where there were 20+ 17.5 spec cars, and i have yet to see a motor go up. I honestly think this is not that big a problem.
Again, could be any number of reasons, lighter weights we're running today, better batteries, more experience in setup. I don't see many motors going up these days in boosted OR unboosted classes.
I do remember guys smoking motors in the early days of BL racing, but a lot of that seemed to be due to LRP TC spec Escs that people didn't realize had timing advance. I never melted a motor with a GTB.
As already pointed out, the GTB has a temp sensor as well, but certainly an ESC that has timing being used by someone who doesn't realize it is a recipe for smoke.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by HarryLeach
As already pointed out, the GTB has a temp sensor as well, but certainly an ESC that has timing being used by someone who doesn't realize it is a recipe for smoke.
We removed the temp sensor from the GTBs many years ago; racers were cutting the blue sensor wire anyway (and complaining...) so we disabled it.

Oval racers are extremely hard on motors (stators/rotors)---especially when using timing/boost controllers. We just released a line of epoxied replacement wound stators (for the Ballistic 540s) to mitigate this potential stator damage.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So you added an additional insulator to the windings and that's gonna help them not blow up from heat? Really?

Later EddieO

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
We removed the temp sensor from the GTBs many years ago; racers were cutting the blue sensor wire anyway (and complaining...) so we disabled it.

Oval racers are extremely hard on motors (stators/rotors)---especially when using timing/boost controllers. We just released a line of epoxied replacement wound stators (for the Ballistic 540s) to mitigate this potential stator damage.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by EddieO
So you added an additional insulator to the windings and that's gonna help them not blow up from heat? Really?

Later EddieO
Yes
Old 02-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

You've breach new ground in cluelessness.....

Epoxy is NEVER going to reduce heat in a motor like that. Its always gonna add it. Epoxy is a piss poor conductor of heat, so all its gonna do is trap it in there.......especially if there is any air bubbles, which there probably are as I doubt you are using VPI to weed it out.....

There is a reason slot car guys try to get as LITTLE epoxy on the motors as possible....they do everything they can to remove the excess, as all it does it trap in heat....

The main reason epoxy is used in brushed motors is to prevent the windings from moving.....last I checked, they don't move much on a stator......

Later EddieO

Yes
Old 02-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Company Representative

Here is a much better place to criticize Novak motors.

Originally Posted by EddieO
You've breach new ground in cluelessness.....

Epoxy is NEVER going to reduce heat in a motor like that. Its always gonna add it. Epoxy is a piss poor conductor of heat, so all its gonna do is trap it in there.......especially if there is any air bubbles, which there probably are as I doubt you are using VPI to weed it out.....

There is a reason slot car guys try to get as LITTLE epoxy on the motors as possible....they do everything they can to remove the excess, as all it does it trap in heat....

The main reason epoxy is used in brushed motors is to prevent the windings from moving.....last I checked, they don't move much on a stator......

Later EddieO
Old 02-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Awesome......it's amazing all the years trinity was bashed for its adversting, yet novak can post this....

"The Ballistic Hand Wound Stator is dipped in a special motor winding epoxy and then oven-cured for several hours. Once the epoxy is cured, it prevents the wires in the stator from moving or rubbing against the laminations and other wires in extreme conditions. Preventing this unwanted contact avoids shorts in the motor coils which can lead to premature failure. The epoxy also helps transfer heat from the wires to the lamination, helping motor operation at higher power levels.

All around, the epoxy coating improves the reliability of Novak’s already high-quality stators and provides extreme vibration resistance. It also prevents illegal rewinding of the stator. "

If your wires are moving in a stationary setting, well thats some PISS poor winding. Even then, thats not a heat issue, thats a short....a short from poor quality.

Copper is a supeirior heat conductor to steel. Its going to draw the heat from the laminations if anything and dissipate it on its own.

So while you are preventing wires from moving, which they should not be in the first place....the epoxy will do nothing to help heat transfer or the thermal properties, it will make them worse, especially if you are just dipping and baking them.....

Now, they do prevent cheating some.....so I'll give ya that.....but I guess any monkey can buy some epoxy....rewind his stator and say hey look, its still got epoxy on it from novak! Sure is gonna be fun the first time someone has to tear one down to count the winds too.....

Stick to giving out the tech number or email, as you are clueless on how stuff works.....

Later EddieO
Old 02-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Team EAM

Here is a much better place to criticize Novak motors.
Thats also the place to post info on your new line of motors instead of on this Thread about Trinity/Epic motors.

EA
Old 02-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

this is comical

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.