Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
Sorry I took so long to get back to you
dont worry about it i appreciate your help

i will give you setting a try on tuesday, do you recommend changing them one at a time or just doing it all at once?
Old 05-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default S411 Limited Edition #001

Question:
LE #001, appears in ad photos......so what car is in the photo?
Was Car #001 assembled, or is it a "Clone" shown in the photos of the assembled car??? (Did they make an "extra" chassis for the prototype?)
Weird....
Old 05-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone

I have about 6 months of parts to test on carpet and now that crazy mod class, should be fun. Although the Island race really sounds interesting.........are there any others in the works? We are always up for racing.
Only the "Driven" car show at the Olympic Oval here in June (9th I think). Usually a great race day, you may have been. Watch our thread for updates.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Martin when you get a chance can you give a detailed explanation of camber link outboard shimming and it's effect on the car.. IE what you expect from 3mm in an 3mm outboard shimming..

Thanks
Old 05-07-2012, 04:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Not to answer for Martin but in my experience; I use to run the 3mm in and out on the rear link. I now run the 3mm out and 4mm inboard. raising the inboard link should lower the RC giving you more grip. I believe it is do to an increase in roll. (leverage on the car)
Dr Crisp can explain why.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I really like the snake the more I run it, and the more I run it, the more others start asking about it.
Mr. Wishbone...

Ran your 17.5 blinky setup this weekend and the car was faultless, and corner speed maniacal.

Awesome setup for anyone running this class.

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/serp...401/index.html
Old 05-08-2012, 02:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Celt....
That's the funniest avatar in your I.D. lol.... We've all had those days!
Old 05-08-2012, 04:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by red7fifty
Celt....
That's the funniest avatar in your I.D. lol.... We've all had those days!
Thanks...

I'm a UNIX / Network admin by profession. The avatar is more fitting than I would like to admit.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by red7fifty
Question:
LE #001, appears in ad photos......so what car is in the photo?
Was Car #001 assembled, or is it a "Clone" shown in the photos of the assembled car??? (Did they make an "extra" chassis for the prototype?)
Weird....
That might be a question better asked on the Serpent site, as we don't get the main factory guys from Europe on here very often if ever.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by celt
Mr. Wishbone...

Ran your 17.5 blinky setup this weekend and the car was faultless, and corner speed maniacal.

Awesome setup for anyone running this class.

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/serp...401/index.html

Thanks, hope it works well for you.

I've used that setup now for several tracks, only changing ride height (same droop) and springs, and it feels nice.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

the guy in my place tested this and their car run quite well.

Steering Brace
Old 05-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by NUCRPTRACER
Martin when you get a chance can you give a detailed explanation of camber link outboard shimming and it's effect on the car.. IE what you expect from 3mm in an 3mm outboard shimming..

Thanks
Originally Posted by rdlkgliders
Not to answer for Martin but in my experience; I use to run the 3mm in and out on the rear link. I now run the 3mm out and 4mm inboard. raising the inboard link should lower the RC giving you more grip. I believe it is do to an increase in roll. (leverage on the car)
Dr Crisp can explain why.

As rdlkgliders indicates, having more shims inboard will lower the RC. Conversely if you have more shims outboard you will raise the RC. However to clarify, when you lower the RC you typically get less grip at that end of the car because that end of the car rolls more reducing the over grip of the two tires at that end of the car. The greater the difference in vertical load on the two tires at that end of the car (ie. more lateral weight transfer) the less overall lateral grip the car will have. This is due to something called the tire performance curve, which is explained in more detail in my app (http://www.setupworkbench.com).

What is interesting here is that a high roll center on one hand reduces the vertical load on the outside tire by reducing roll, but it also increase vertical load on the outside tire by increasing roll resistance. From the research I did, it seems determining which causes the greater difference in vertical load between the inside and outside tire, is very complex to calculate and in some situations can go one-way or the other. Given that, I rely on my testing results to tell me what is likely happening with our RC cars. From my testing a low roll center has less lateral grip than a high roll center, so I conclude from this that the roll has a greater impact on the difference in vertical load on the inside and outside tires. I think this is the case with our RC cars, because they tend to roll a lot for scale, compared to say full scale touring race cars.

Thus with a higher roll center causing the car to roll less and thus the more evenly the vertical load is spread across the inside and outside tire, you will have more lateral grip.

On high grip carpet I run a lower RC than on asphalt, because I am trying to reduce the chance of traction roll with a high RC causing too much lateral grip. On an asphalt track I run a higher RC to generate more lateral grip. That's why when you look at the asphalt setup I posted over the weekend the RC is a fair bit higher than the setup I run on carpet.

I hope this helps

Cheers
Old 05-10-2012, 01:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Martin,

Superb piece of explaning. And as far as I know, I expierence the same. But How can you connect this with cornerspeed. As far as I understand with a lower rollcenter the car has the highest cornerspeed. But am I correct?

Regards Robert
Old 05-10-2012, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
when you look at the asphalt setup I posted over the weekend the RC is a fair bit higher than the setup I run on carpet.

I hope this helps

Cheers
Martin, some questions regarding your asphalt set up. Interesting to see you end up with 3mm of shims on the V2 steering. Did you work up to this? How was your front tyre wear(ring of death)? I'm keen to try it this weekend at practice but there are a few gaps Im hoping you can fill. what brand oils are you using? what holes are your shocks running on the towers? What wheelbase shims were you running in the rear? and how much EPA did you run on the transmitter?
Regards Benzaah
Old 05-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Martin let me better explain myself.. If you run 3mm inboard and 3mm outboard at the same time what does that actually do? It would seem that the RC would be the RC at that point as the link angle would be the same just higher right? Or is that just a fractional change? Just trying to figure out how shimming both up does for the car..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.