Wiki Posts
Search

Mamba Max Pro Cogs Bad!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Mamba Max Pro Cogs Bad!

I posted this in a MMP thread but it was in the Offroad section, so I thought I'd try here as well since this is in a VTA car.

I have a brand new Mamba Max Pro that hasn't worked with any 21.5 motor I've used. It cogs badly for a few seconds about 50% of the time I try to go full throttle out of a corner. I've tried resoldering all connectors and I've tried two different motors and numerous batteries and sensor wires, all with the same result. I've tried both motors with other speed controls and they worked fine. I bought this ESC brand new from my LHS a month ago, I know they're gonna tell me I'll have to send it back to CC and be without a VTA car for another month or two. I'm quite disappointed. Any suggestions?
Old 12-19-2010, 02:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Timbulb
I posted this in a MMP thread but it was in the Offroad section, so I thought I'd try here as well since this is in a VTA car.

I have a brand new Mamba Max Pro that hasn't worked with any 21.5 motor I've used. It cogs badly for a few seconds about 50% of the time I try to go full throttle out of a corner. I've tried resoldering all connectors and I've tried two different motors and numerous batteries and sensor wires, all with the same result. I've tried both motors with other speed controls and they worked fine. I bought this ESC brand new from my LHS a month ago, I know they're gonna tell me I'll have to send it back to CC and be without a VTA car for another month or two. I'm quite disappointed. Any suggestions?
Three things can cause coging .

1.faulty sensor wire
2.burnt mosfets in the esc
3.Not enough c rated battery .

thats all.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:21 AM
Tech Addict

Try less timing on motor endbell.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

What servo are you using? I had problems with my Sidewinder Cogging alot, I found out the BEC in them arent that great and my HT servo was drawin too much.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had similar problems with a MMP this summer. I finally sent it back and the replacement has worked flawlessly.
I will suggest doing that since you have tried two motors, multiple sensor wires and batteries. I will also assume that since you are running VTA that you are running without timing advance like the rules call for. That would eliminate cogging from too much timing.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

More than likely it has a bad connection on the board at the sensor port. Unfortunately this is a fairly common issue with the MMP, I had 2 brand new that had to go back before I could even use them. Castle is very fast with their turnaround time, I know it still stinks as you'll be without your VTA car until it comes back and it's a new esc, but they will take care of it for you. See if your LHS will give you a new one and send yours back for their replacement.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Do yourself a favor , and buy a tekin , And keep that as a backup . Which you wont need .
Old 12-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Can the Tekin run a 6 cell lipo in my dragster?

Let's keep the fanboy BS out of this. I run Tekin in other vehicles, so I'm aware of their quality.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I would try an external BEC. The internal BEC seems to be a long going problem with the MMP. Speaking with experience also. The external BEC cured my cogging issue.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

If that's the case I'd just want to get my money back. I bought the MMP because it had an internal BEC. Basically it is starting to appear this ESC is not capable of any of the things I bought it for. All the literature on their website would have you believe they're products are god's gift to RC, but my mind is quickly changing from everything I've heard and read.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

If that's the case I'd just want to get my money back. I bought the MMP because it had an internal BEC. Basically it is starting to appear this ESC is not capable of any of the things I bought it for. All the literature on their website would have you believe they're products are god's gift to RC, but my mind is quickly changing from everything I've heard and read.
I felt the same as you with the BEC issues and honestly I switched to Tekin and could not be happier. Granted the MMP worked fine after adding the external BEC but the extra wiring was my turn off. All my Tekins have worked flawlessly.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Like I said, I bought this ESC to use in my dragster in the spring. I just wanted to use it with 2cell lipo in my VTA until then. Sucks that I'll have to buy a second ESC for my VTA.

One person actually PM'd me and asked "WHy are you using it with 2 cell if you bought it to be used with 6 cell?"

Really dude?
Old 12-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Like I said, I bought this ESC to use in my dragster in the spring. I just wanted to use it with 2cell lipo in my VTA until then. Sucks that I'll have to buy a second ESC for my VTA.

One person actually PM'd me and asked "WHy are you using it with 2 cell if you bought it to be used with 6 cell?"

Really dude?
It will probably work just fine running 6cell in the dragster. Any of the issues myself and others have experienced have been on 2C. Others using 3 cell and up seem not to be having issues.