Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya - M-03, M-04, M-05 - Whats the Difference? >

Tamiya - M-03, M-04, M-05 - Whats the Difference?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya - M-03, M-04, M-05 - Whats the Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Tamiya - M-03, M-04, M-05 - Whats the Difference?

Hi All,

Just wondering what is the difference between Tamiya's
M-03, M-04 & M-05 kits ?

I noticed engine placement is different across some of them....just wondering what exactly are the differences? and what do the differences change in terms of handling/performance?

Im looking to possible get one of these kits and was wondering what the differences are.

Cheers,
Martin
Old 09-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

m03 is fwd and top heavy. m04 is rwd and has a lower CG. Can also fit a bigger pinion. m05 is fwd again and has a lower still CG. Most people feel that the m05 is the superior vehicle, however I am personally a fan of my m04. In a club race in my town, most of the a-main is m04's.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Halo, I think you'll find that 98% of clubs around the world do NOT run M04's. Nearly all M-chassis racing is FWD only which is M03 or M05.

Despite what many people will try and tell you one is not faster than the other (05/05). They are both capable of identical lap times.
M03 is easier to work on than M05, but M05 is newer, hence some people prefer it.

We run both successfully.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

The M-03 is a very easy car to wrench, while the M-05 is less so. The M-05 seems to have more adjustability with shock position and such and it does have a lower center of gravity. I'm still running the M-03 and doing pretty well in club racing.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the replies ....

these both seem to be going for about the same price, so would i be getting more bang for my $ getting the m-05 as it is newer?

mainly this is for street use/bashing...also are these equivalent to the HPI cup racers? and if so, what is the difference? and which is better?

thanks again

Cheers
Martin
Old 09-24-2010, 04:48 AM
Tech Champion

If you can find the 5 for the same price as the 3 then it's probably best to get the 5. Check what upgrades may be included when buying used as the base kits are pretty basic and most guys add option parts like oil shocks, ball bearings, etc...

The HPI car is 4wd and you really can't compare against the 2wd Tamiyas. If you want to wait, Tamiya will be releasing their new M-06 rwd mini sometime soon and it may be worth the wait. Time will tell though.

I'm also putting together an Xevo mini from the spare parts in my pit box. There is a separate thread here on RCTech you can check for more info.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Wait until M06 Pro comes out, it has a tub chassis. I'll be getting one. Currently, I'm running M05 Pro. They just did a blue plated version for the M05 Pro.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=84131
Old 01-10-2022, 04:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tamiya Mini

I just purchased a Tamiya Mini Cooper with an M-03 chassis. I have been in RC for years and have 30+ cars and trucks but have never owned a Tamiya car. I know I'm going to want to upgrade to a brushed motor, new ESC, etc. What other upgrades can you recommend? I don't race my cars. I just run them around my cul de sac.

I buy mostly vintage Ofna, Team Associated, HPI, etc. and upgrade and restore.

Old 01-10-2022, 06:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tgwnazzio
I just purchased a Tamiya Mini Cooper with an M-03 chassis. I have been in RC for years and have 30+ cars and trucks but have never owned a Tamiya car. I know I'm going to want to upgrade to a brushed motor, new ESC, etc. What other upgrades can you recommend? I don't race my cars. I just run them around my cul de sac.

You've posted in a thread that hasn't been active for some 12 years.

The M-03 is very old and you might have trouble finding upgrades. Get a set of the Tamiya mini oil shocks and maybe some springs to suit. This chassis is unique and can be built in short, medium or long configurations. The medium and long require a chassis insert that can be hard to locate. I believe the FF-02 is the same chassis that was sold as a FWD touring car.

There was once a setup where the steering servo was mounted in the rear chassis half and if you Google it you might find info.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tgwnazzio

Look for the Tamiya Mini Cooper thread, that has all things mini. But for upgrades, you'll want ball bearings and oil shocks at a minimum.