Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Tech Adept

so i have a stock v5 as well as a fully smokem (chassis, 417v7 convesion, everything) 417x.... opinions on which i should run 17.5 blinky and which mod (between 8.5 and 4.5 depending on the day)?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

hello guys,

just picked up a V5... i know that people prefer the V5 for asphalt and i really purchased it to eventually run GT1 in tcs when i do get better... for the winter season tho i would like to run it on carpet... anyone here have anyhting to share to make the V5 works well on carpet is much appreciated...

- Jacob
Old 09-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by -jacob-
hello guys,

just picked up a V5... i know that people prefer the V5 for asphalt and i really purchased it to eventually run GT1 in tcs when i do get better... for the winter season tho i would like to run it on carpet... anyone here have anyhting to share to make the V5 works well on carpet is much appreciated...

- Jacob
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/tami...miyaTRF417.htm

Take a look through here. I don't run carpet but see if there are any setups in there.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

The v5 works well on carpet, I used the kit shocks 40wt all round, hard front roll bar, soft rear and white springs front with blue rear.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

First time running the smokem motor mount and top plate. Another driver and I were really loose all night long. Is anyone else having these issues. I went from hanging with the pack to now just drift mode. I changed droop, springs, tires, sauce and nothing helped.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.juarez
First time running the smokem motor mount and top plate. Another driver and I were really loose all night long. Is anyone else having these issues. I went from hanging with the pack to now just drift mode. I changed droop, springs, tires, sauce and nothing helped.
For the first time I was able to match laps with justin but as soon as the sauce wore off in 6 laps My 417v5 with the Smokem conversion was undriveable loose in 17.5 but I was leading for a few laps till the sauce wore off. Justin said he thought I needed to have gone to a softer tire I will try new tires next week.
In GT we had a great race going till a back marker went wide and Turned in on me,after that I was catching you but I hit a dot pressing to catch you. I think I had too soft a tire in this class because the car was good early and fadded near the end. IOne tire was down to the cord on the left front it was 3/16 spot showing cord. It was a fun night of racing 3 race on my GT3 and it is starting to work pretty good I am making a roll center change I hope my TB03 will be ready for prime time!
Old 09-29-2013, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vivo quevas
For the first time I was able to match laps with justin but as soon as the sauce wore off in 6 laps My 417v5 with the Smokem conversion was undriveable loose in 17.5 but I was leading for a few laps till the sauce wore off. Justin said he thought I needed to have gone to a softer tire I will try new tires next week.
In GT we had a great race going till a back marker went wide and Turned in on me,after that I was catching you but I hit a dot pressing to catch you. I think I had too soft a tire in this class because the car was good early and fadded near the end. IOne tire was down to the cord on the left front it was 3/16 spot showing cord. It was a fun night of racing 3 race on my GT3 and it is starting to work pretty good I am making a roll center change I hope my TB03 will be ready for prime time!

That was the only major change I did. I tried 28, 32,34, 36 and nothing helped. I'm gonna pull it off and go out there again later on with stock mount
Old 09-29-2013, 01:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/tami...miyaTRF417.htm

Take a look through here. I don't run carpet but see if there are any setups in there.

Thanks man, this def helped me out...

Originally Posted by Qatmix
The v5 works well on carpet, I used the kit shocks 40wt all round, hard front roll bar, soft rear and white springs front with blue rear.
Thank you will be testing it this Saturday.. really excited

Just finished my V5

Old 09-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by -jacob-
what fan/heatsink setup is that?
Old 09-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by theagentorange
what fan/heatsink setup is that?
LRP, pls watch the weight its quite heavy and cause a balance issues...
Old 09-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Post your setup maybe one of us can help
Old 09-30-2013, 12:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Which 417 do you have? 417 and 417X needs 1mm spacers on top of the front & rear bulkheads to lift the upper deck by 1mm. This is illustrated by the pic below on the Smokem website (note the 1mm spacers sandwiched between upper deck and rear bulkheads:

Also no spacers are needed on top of the Smokem centre post.

If you have a 417V5, you do not need any spacers to raise the upper deck. It is a straight bolt-on.

And unless you have loads of grip, you don't need to add the extra 2 screws to bolt the upper deck onto the motor mount and layshaft bulkhead. Just run the middle screw that bolts into the Smokem centre post. Again, check the above pic. This is the default setup that seems to run the best.

If you do the above, the conversion will run as good, if not better, than your standard 417 running identical setups. As narcotiks suggested, post your setup so we can see if we can help.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:56 AM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I received my Smokem V7 conversion for my V5 last Wednesday, put it on the car on Thursday and hit the track Saturday morning for the last round of Challenge Cup in Canberra. The layout was almost identical to the one used at the ACT Indoor Titles a few months back, so I think it would be a reasonable comparison.

Overall, my car was at least a lap faster over 5 minutes and my best lap was around 0.7 quicker (lap times were 14-15s). If I get the time, I'll try to do a more complete analysis tomorrow, but my gut feel is that the car carried way more corner speed. Motor, ESC, settings and gearing were identical.

Needless to say, I'm pleasantly surprised

Phil.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by veecee
Which 417 do you have? 417 and 417X needs 1mm spacers on top of the front & rear bulkheads to lift the upper deck by 1mm. This is illustrated by the pic below on the Smokem website (note the 1mm spacers sandwiched between upper deck and rear bulkheads:

Also no spacers are needed on top of the Smokem centre post.

If you have a 417V5, you do not need any spacers to raise the upper deck. It is a straight bolt-on.

And unless you have loads of grip, you don't need to add the extra 2 screws to bolt the upper deck onto the motor mount and layshaft bulkhead. Just run the middle screw that bolts into the Smokem centre post. Again, check the above pic. This is the default setup that seems to run the best.

If you do the above, the conversion will run as good, if not better, than your standard 417 running identical setups. As narcotiks suggested, post your setup so we can see if we can help.
Yes I did that. Have a regular 417 (none v5) so I added the 1mm spacers front and rear as pictured.

I edited a sheet hopefully I did it right. Its almost still the manual set up.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Does anyone know if I will be able to run this body on a 417 with standard shocks and towers? It says it works for a 415 so I'm hoping it will work <crossing fingers>.

https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod....asp?p_id=5953

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.