Like Tree2Likes

Advanced Electronics Black Diamond ESC

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkstar
Hi all,

I read earlier in this thread that the TC has more FETs than the LV. Is this a fact? Does anyone know the actual FET count in either model? I also read where AE is supposed to come out with a new ESC soon (for off-road use and sealed?)... Any update on that?

I am in the market for a new SC 4x4 speedo and have been hesitant to purchase a Tekin RS-Pro or RX8. After reading this thread, I want an AE now! I'm just not sure if the TC can handle a 4.5t or 5.5t 550 motor. Anyone?

I haven't owned Tekin before, but I'm a little leery of their excellent customer service (that everyone HAS TO USE twice a month to keep their stuff working). In my opinion, Tekin should just adopt a NetFlix type business model and rent ESCs out until they break. Then the customer can send it back and and receive another one in the mail. Duh! I guess that how it works now anyway...

JJ
Dare you to say that on the Tekin thread! The TC spec will have more fets but the V2 hasn't been released yet and good luck finding a V1. I have used a LV V2 in mod TC without a problem but it isn't officially rated for very low turn motors.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

To anyone interested...

If you compare the high resolution pictures of the BD from Calandra's website, the LV and TC version appear to be EXACTLY the same dimensions with the exception of the fins being milled off the top. There isn't any room internally for more FETs (unless the FETs themselves are smaller).

Just shooting from the hip here... I am thinking they are identical inside, but the fins and fan provide the cooling required to push the specs higher. Anyone agree?

JJ
Old 09-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Darkstar, check your e-mail?
Old 09-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

To anyone interested...

If you compare the high resolution pictures of the BD from Calandra's website, the LV and TC version appear to be EXACTLY the same dimensions with the exception of the fins being milled off the top. There isn't any room internally for more FETs (unless the FETs themselves are smaller).

Just shooting from the hip here... I am thinking they are identical inside, but the fins and fan provide the cooling required to push the specs higher. Anyone agree?

JJ
Those pics are of the V1. Very few people know what a V2 TC will look like.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:53 AM
Tech Champion

Hi all,

I read earlier in this thread that the TC has more FETs than the LV. Is this a fact? Does anyone know the actual FET count in either model? I also read where AE is supposed to come out with a new ESC soon (for off-road use and sealed?)... Any update on that?

I am in the market for a new SC 4x4 speedo and have been hesitant to purchase a Tekin RS-Pro or RX8. After reading this thread, I want an AE now! I'm just not sure if the TC can handle a 4.5t or 5.5t 550 motor. Anyone?

I haven't owned Tekin before, but I'm a little leery of their excellent customer service (that everyone HAS TO USE twice a month to keep their stuff working). In my opinion, Tekin should just adopt a NetFlix type business model and rent ESCs out until they break. Then the customer can send it back and and receive another one in the mail. Duh! I guess that how it works now anyway...

JJ
I don't know mich about 550 size motors but the LV will handle mod easy in off road so around that turn should be fine with a fan. Note that this ESC is sensored only. So far I have not seen one of these things fail even with lots of abuse. They are extremly good with QA it seems.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

What is the maximum case temperature for the BD?

Mine was coming off at around 60degC, is that too high.

If so what fan would you recommend or do you do a specific fan for it?

Thanks
Skiddins
Old 09-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I will be trying my BD for the first time tuesday night cant wait. in 1s 17.5
Old 09-13-2010, 07:28 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Skiddins
What is the maximum case temperature for the BD?

Mine was coming off at around 60degC, is that too high.

If so what fan would you recommend or do you do a specific fan for it?

Thanks
Skiddins
The ESC will shut down if it gets too hot so don't worry about it. I had to find a really good double sided tape when I first started racing 12th with this ESC. A bad motor and drive setup saw it get hot enough to move around in the car each race. Highest temp I measured was 75C so this must be close to where it thermals.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Tech Adept

The Black Diamond just TQ'd and finished second in the highly contested 1/12 scale 13.5 class at the IIC championship in Las Vegas this past weekend.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

My Black Diamond was flawless and stout all week. It powered my CRC GenXL to a B Main win and finally a 5th in the A in 13.5 12th. I would say the speedo is stronger in the post run then the rest of the field. I would trade the rocket opening lap for consistently strong over the run any day. Best part is; I used the laptop as a car stand all week.

Brian
Old 09-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeremy Otis
The Black Diamond just TQ'd and finished second in the highly contested 1/12 scale 13.5 class at the IIC championship in Las Vegas this past weekend.
My Black Diamond V2 Tq'd and finshed 2nd in 13.5 1/12th! Super fast. No hassle with changing timing boost, turbo boost, turbo ramp, and all those other confusing words. Just put in in a profile and go!!! Thanks CRC for such a user friendly speedo!
Old 09-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

congrats on your finishes at IIc guys glad to hear the BD was awesome
Old 09-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

Do you guys running the BD in 1s 12 scale use receiver batteries? does anyone use a booster. reason I am asking is cause I think I ruined my li-fe pack I charged it up and been playing around with the car setting up the radio and driving it around on my kitchen floor lol and it died on me. so I went to charge it and the charger is at 0.0 amps I have it set to .2 but it doesnt seem to want to charge it now.I have ready where your not supposed to discharger to low until it is broken in.I think it showed 3.2 volts when I started to charge it it went up to 4.3 and stopped. should I try charging it again? sorry for the long post and rambling lol
mike
Old 09-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Regional Moderator

Mike -

Do you have your charger set for 2s LiFe? Just like a LiPo, over discharging a LiFe will kill it. I have been using a Rx pack with my BD, but I just plug it in the Rx to make it simple. I will say I like the simplicity of a booster, just so you don't have to remember to charge the Rx pack between heats.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
Mike -

Do you have your charger set for 2s LiFe? Just like a LiPo, over discharging a LiFe will kill it. I have been using a Rx pack with my BD, but I just plug it in the Rx to make it simple. I will say I like the simplicity of a booster, just so you don't have to remember to charge the Rx pack between heats.
Hey Joe,Yeah I have it set to charge li-fe 2s pack at .2v but it wasnt reading any amps when charging but it did go up some but stopped at 4.37 or around there. but it always showed it was charging at 0.0 amps. I do have a dynamite receiver pack I could use or I could use a tq booster I have. My car is at like 750 grams so if I use the booster it will be about 10-12 grams lighter. not sure what would be best though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.