Search
Like Tree2Likes

Advanced Electronics Black Diamond ESC

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dumper
You 100% have the newest software, as that is all we have in stock...

Now for the setup stuff...assuming you want to run an external receiver pack and run it through the internal BEC (which is what most people including all of us team guys do) follow these steps.

1-Pull off the "plastic piece", it slides right off with an x-acto knife or something small enough to get in there.

2- Find either a sensor wire, JST connector or extra servo lead that you are willing to sacrifice. Or if you have alot of confidence in your soldering skills, skip this and move to step 4.

3- Take the outer plug off of the sensor wire/plug you are using, you want to use what is inside. What you are going to do, is use the end that is already on the wire. For example, if you are using a JST connector, take an x-acto knife, lift up on the tab holding the connector in, and slide the wire out. Same for a servo lead or sensor wire. You need to get 2 pieces of wire.

4-Now slide the connector end of the wire over pins 4 and 5 remembering pin 4 is negative and pin 5 in positive. Usually using a connector and wire from a sensor wire fits the snuggest. A JST connector works well to, you might have to crimp the connector a little bit to get a nice snug fit. Basically what we are doing here is making leads for the receiver pack to plug into. The reason we do this is because we do not want to keep plugging and unplugging onto those pins everytime we need to charge the receiver pack. If you are very confident in your soldering skills, skip all the connector stuff and just solder a positive wire on pin 5 and a negative wire on pin 4 using a connector that matches up to whatever receiver pack you are using. I personally do not feel comfortable soldering on the pins that is why I came up with finding a piece of wire that already has a recepticle for the pin already on it.

5-Once the wire is on the pins, add a plug that matches your receiver pack and you are ready to go. Now one more thing I have done, is spliced in a switch in between the speed control and the receiver pack plug. Otherwise when you plug in, it is on.

This post makes it sound alot more complicated than it really is. The wiring of the speed control could stand to be a little more user friendly, but once it is done, it is done. The internal BEC is great beacause it eliminates another part of the wiring nightmare that is 1s lipo racing. Even for radio systems that can "handle" 7.4v, it is just less stress on the electronics to do it this way.

Brian Wynn

Team CRC
WOW Brian thank you very much for the detailed info I really appreciate it.I also got your pm. I wont be doing anything for a little while just trying to read everything I can until I get my car. I will read this several times + a few more haha would you by chance have any pics of this set up? good luck at the vegas race thanks again
mike
Old 08-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Regional Moderator

Set the speed controller to timing profile 1. If it is V2 software the light will flash in neutral.

How long ago did you get it, and where did you get it from? If you got it recently, more than likely it is V2 software.
Brian -

Will CRC ever have the capability to upgrade V1 ESCs, or do they all have to go back to Sweden?
Old 08-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
Brian -

Will CRC ever have the capability to upgrade V1 ESCs, or do they all have to go back to Sweden?
At the moment it is back to Sweden. We are working on having our own equipment here, which is better than shipping over there, but still not as nice as being able to do it yourself which I am sure all the Tekin guys that troll this thread will love to point out to everyone.

Just remember this, we are on version 2, they are on 208. So it has taken them 208 tries to still be slower than us! (That is for the benefit of the Tekin glee club that loves to cyber-stalk anyone not talking about Tekins. Loosen up boys!)
Old 08-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just remember this, we are on version 2, they are on 208. So it has taken them 208 tries to still be slower than us!
Nice!
Old 08-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

At the moment it is back to Sweden. We are working on having our own equipment here, which is better than shipping over there, but still not as nice as being able to do it yourself which I am sure all the Tekin guys that troll this thread will love to point out to everyone.

Just remember this, we are on version 2, they are on 208. So it has taken them 208 tries to still be slower than us! (That is for the benefit of the Tekin glee club that loves to cyber-stalk anyone not talking about Tekins. Loosen up boys!)
+1 very funny, wish some people would loosen up relise there is other products in the market place which are just as good (some say better )

Sent my v1 back to sweden it sat in customs in Austrlia for a week for reasons they could not expain, the AE team turned it round and back to me in 4 days. From Sweden to Oz in 4 day with an upgrade very impressive.

BD v2 is more than able to keep up with 208 & 528 software...

Rememeber people don't win in a stright line sometimes there are corners and that is why 2 local's from the Tekin Fan clubs are asking about pricing of this product becuase it just works and works very well.

Last edited by Me_MrTyson; 08-18-2010 at 11:48 PM. Reason: missed some s
Old 08-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by whynot
WOW Brian thank you very much for the detailed info I really appreciate it.I also got your pm. I wont be doing anything for a little while just trying to read everything I can until I get my car. I will read this several times + a few more haha would you by chance have any pics of this set up? good luck at the vegas race thanks again
mike
Check out how I have done mine...

This gives you a switch like config that works with the standard plugs on your life rx pack.

Last edited by Dragonfire; 08-19-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Suspended

looks nice!
Old 08-19-2010, 04:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Hey guys, agree with the sentiment here. Have used Tekin and HW and was very happy with the latter, but the BD is just better. So smooth and so easy. Running 10.5 TC I do feel like it could use a "profile 6" for that little bit extra legs for very large tracks, hopefully something like that will be coming in v3
Old 08-19-2010, 05:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CraigM
Hey guys, agree with the sentiment here. Have used Tekin and HW and was very happy with the latter, but the BD is just better. So smooth and so easy. Running 10.5 TC I do feel like it could use a "profile 6" for that little bit extra legs for very large tracks, hopefully something like that will be coming in v3
I have discussed this a bit with Pablo... Based on how I think it works I am sure a profile 6 that wound up more or faster could be geared a little lower and you would see similar temps with more punch (more punch would almost be cheating!) and a stronger top end spool which is the only area this ESC looses and ground.

I would have to say though Craig that they way you left behind the fastest 10.5 car on the track (fastest on the main straight) out of the turn onto the straight more than made up for your small lack of top end. Of course the fact that you had your advantage out of every corner and not just 1/2 way down a straight must have really helped you almost pull off a win from the back of the grid. Gotta say I also felt sorry for Matty having two BD's right behind him in 17.5. The start of the 1st final just summed it up.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah I had geared down too, just imagine that bottom end with insane top end though really though its a tiny proportion of tracks that you would be able to use it

Troy, how did you shorten your wires, do you have a crimper?
Old 08-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
how did you shorten your wires, do you have a crimper?
Craig, unsolder them from the speedie and cut them to the length you want, then just solder back on They give you the heatshrink you will need to replace the original stuff
Old 08-20-2010, 12:16 AM
Tech Adept

hi guys,
i never used the BD sofar (only lrp) and was looking for some info. which bd version is the one to get suited for modified and 13.5T classes? are there any software updates possible or have been in the recent past?? (i suppose i would have to send the speedo in to receive update). how does the latest suitable bd compare to sxx, tekin and gm?????

thx for your help!!
Old 08-20-2010, 02:14 AM
Tech Regular

Default compared too

I cant comment on the Gm buthad the SXX and the Tekin. I have 2 BD and as we speak they are the best around. I have improved enormously not because im faster but because the power is linear the car is a dream to drive. Corner speed is where races are won not straights. You wont go far wrong buying a BD .Then just watch your times drop.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:25 AM
Tech Champion

In 10.5 the bd has the same top end as the sxx, a bit less than tekin and hw but way more down low and extremely linear, the brakes are nice too

For 13.5 the LV will be fine, that's what I use in 10.5, for mod you will want a fan. I'm yet to try it in mod, but I hear it's pretty damn special
Old 08-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Hey Brian,dragonfire
will this adapter work

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...mitter-Adapter

and how about this reciever pack

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ack-66V-200mAh

I do have a dynamite lipo reciever pack that is 180 mah but not sure what would be best.

what switch are you guys using? and since the esc doesnt have a main switch are you putting another one on for the main batt or are you just leaving the batt unplugged until you are ready to race?
sorry for all the questions just trying to get everything ordered for my son and I, he also will be buying the BD within the next week.
thanks
mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.