Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Paul, I've been toying with mod TC over the last few days and find it quite a challenge and large step up from 17.5, and even 13.5. It's shockingly fast and I have a renewed respect for those of you on the pro level that manage to run their mod cars fast and consistent on a regular basis.

Over the last few days I was finally able to best my 17.5 hot lap time, but am still a ways away from my 13.5 times (~8.2s/lap). My question is: when did you start running mod relative to stock? Did you leap into it or was it a progression? I find that my driving skill is generally on an upward trajectory, but it is not a constant slope, as there are seemingly large spans of no growth followed by short bursts. I am wondering if this is a common phenomenon. Do you have a public racing resume or driver's profile available somewhere? If so, I'd like to check it out.

thx, Sam
Old 01-21-2013, 02:09 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Kropy
Paul - You are my everything...............And good luck at the Birds!!!!
LOL, thanks Kropy!

Originally Posted by samnelso
Paul, I've been toying with mod TC over the last few days and find it quite a challenge and large step up from 17.5, and even 13.5. It's shockingly fast and I have a renewed respect for those of you on the pro level that manage to run their mod cars fast and consistent on a regular basis.

Over the last few days I was finally able to best my 17.5 hot lap time, but am still a ways away from my 13.5 times (~8.2s/lap). My question is: when did you start running mod relative to stock? Did you leap into it or was it a progression? I find that my driving skill is generally on an upward trajectory, but it is not a constant slope, as there are seemingly large spans of no growth followed by short bursts. I am wondering if this is a common phenomenon. Do you have a public racing resume or driver's profile available somewhere? If so, I'd like to check it out.

thx, Sam
Hi Sam. When i started running TC i jumped right in to mod, but mod back then was a 14turn brushed motor (maybe same speed as 17.5 blinky now), so over the years i have just adapted to the higher and higher speeds of mod without any real notice. Its good that you can now go faster than with 17.5 though, Its harder than people think to go any faster at all. Threw out my racing my ability has definitely been a more instant progression followed by a plain for a while. if you practice all the time you will likely wake up one day and just be faster and you will have no idea how or why.

Nobody really keeps records of drivers, would be kinda cool though.

Thanks! Paul
Old 01-21-2013, 11:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I got a thunder power motor question in 1/12 scale 17.5 stock what gearing to run tires is 42.0mm on 98x40 carpet and it has stock rotor and what gearing would it be with the blue rotor
And what gearing for the touring car.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by spammy
I got a thunder power motor question in 1/12 scale 17.5 stock what gearing to run tires is 42.0mm on 98x40 carpet and it has stock rotor and what gearing would it be with the blue rotor
And what gearing for the touring car.

Hi. this is all for blinky 17.5. for TC i would go with 30-35deg timing and start with a 3.7 overall ratio. for 12th scale i would also go blue rotor with 30deg timing and gear at a 89mm roll out. with a 42mm tire size that would be roughly a 70 spur with a 47 pinion.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

Paul on a carpet track what are some similarities between the t4 and t3 2012 and differences.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by rosko
Paul on a carpet track what are some similarities between the t4 and t3 2012 and differences.
Hi Rosko, its really hard to say because with the new car has come such different set ups. I have no idea how my 12 car would drive with a set up like we run on the T4. I feel like the T4 is definitely faster but i guess i have no good specific answer for you.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi Paul, I'm starting to run mod on carpet. Just wanted to know if you run boost setting on your speedo when running mod carpet and if you do anything on the speedo settings or gear a particular way so that it's more managable in the infield?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Francis M.
Hi Paul, I'm starting to run mod on carpet. Just wanted to know if you run boost setting on your speedo when running mod carpet and if you do anything on the speedo settings or gear a particular way so that it's more managable in the infield?
Nothing special on speedo for carpet, if i run a 4.5 i will run a touch of boost, with a 4.0 i use no boost. with both motors i would gear around 8.3 overall ratio. the only other thing is that i do like to run drag brake, I normally run around 15% with that gear and the Thunderpower strong magnet that comes in the motor.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paul L
Nothing special on speedo for carpet, if i run a 4.5 i will run a touch of boost, with a 4.0 i use no boost. with both motors i would gear around 8.3 overall ratio. the only other thing is that i do like to run drag brake, I normally run around 15% with that gear and the Thunderpower strong magnet that comes in the motor.

Thanks

Thanks Paul, always appreciate the help and that's the main reason I purchased TP Motors and Batts for mod!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Paul,

I have ordered 2,500,000 GRC to try out in the front diff but I believe it won't be here before my race Sunday. I was wondering how do you fill the diff with putty, like how much do I need to put inside the diff and if you do it by weight or just by feel.

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Francis M.
Thanks Paul, always appreciate the help and that's the main reason I purchased TP Motors and Batts for mod!
Great, Thanks for the support!

Originally Posted by Serpenteer
Hi Paul,

I have ordered 2,500,000 GRC to try out in the front diff but I believe it won't be here before my race Sunday. I was wondering how do you fill the diff with putty, like how much do I need to put inside the diff and if you do it by weight or just by feel.

Thanks!
First make sure the diff is iether brand new or taken completely back apart and cleaned as well as possible. then re assemble the key peces. after putting in the larger gear at the bottom of the diff case i then transfer about 10mms of silicone into the syringe then to the diff case, then i use the plunger from the syringe to tamp it down to make sure no air is under the silicone. Then i put the small spider gears in and push them threw the silicone. again i tamp any silicone down or add a bit more if necessary. when i put the top of the diff on a little of the silicone will bleed out the screw holes. tighten it down and your good. BTW do not ever use the very thin large o ring to seal the diff, throw that away and only use the Gasket, that goes for any fluid, thin or thick.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paul L
Great, Thanks for the support!

First make sure the diff is iether brand new or taken completely back apart and cleaned as well as possible. then re assemble the key peces. after putting in the larger gear at the bottom of the diff case i then transfer about 10mms of silicone into the syringe then to the diff case, then i use the plunger from the syringe to tamp it down to make sure no air is under the silicone. Then i put the small spider gears in and push them threw the silicone. again i tamp any silicone down or add a bit more if necessary. when i put the top of the diff on a little of the silicone will bleed out the screw holes. tighten it down and your good. BTW do not ever use the very thin large o ring to seal the diff, throw that away and only use the Gasket, that goes for any fluid, thin or thick.

Thanks
Just for clarity, are you saying don't use the thin o-ring by itself to seal, or don't use it even in addition to the paper seal? i've always used a new o-ring every time I open the diff and haven't noticed any problems, but I am curious to hear why not to ever use the o-ring. Would you mind sharing?
Old 01-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

Very rarely the o-ring stays seated properly. It can cause the diff to not seal right, or be properly tightened possibly causing the diff to not operate smoothly. It has been found that the paper gasket seals well enough. If you have no problems with the o-ring, it does not hurt to use, but just not a must.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Gravity RC

Yup, what Adam said
Old 01-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The only way I can get the o-ring to work right is if I put it on the opposite side of what the instructions say, so that it's kind of like a rubber band around that groove rather than sitting in the groove of the other half. And I use a new one every time. I'll give it a try without next build.

Paul, your friends are coming to Denver to race mod sedan. Check it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.