Wiki Posts
Search

Question to racers about lap traffic

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ryan Maker
The best way to keep consistency down in lapped traffic is to take it as though they are not even there. You are lapping them because you have better lines, and are faster than them. So if you just drive like usual, you should get through the traffic, pulling off the same lap times and not getting phased by the cars around you. This applies unless the lapped traffic is excessively bad... as in a few seconds a lap off your pace.

This is how i do it, and it always works every time, i have not hit a lapped car for a year at least.

Hope this helps,

Ryan.
So if I drive through you this weekend because you are slow and on my usual line that will be ok?
Old 11-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You have to remember, it's also hard being the lapped person.

When I used to raced I was normally mid pack. When getting lapped, some guys didn't want me to move out of my line because they were fast enough to just go around, others expected you to move.

This can be a pain in the ass for the person getting lapped.

The best thing I've found in communication on the stand.

I've had drivers coming up on me and I'll say, next turn, and they'll reply ok or stay on your line I'll go around etc..
Old 11-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Tech Champion

As a race director my advice to my newer racers is for them to stay on their line but maybe slow up a little bit to make the pass easier. Too often a new driver will drive erratically trying to get out of the faster driver's way only to end up taking both out.

As for the couple of people that seem to be advocating bumping or punting the slower car out of the way...that is just the wrong attitude to have. Granted it is not easy at the club level to identify actions like that that are intentional and not accidental...but many race directors will black flag you for rough driving if it is blatant.

At the end of the day you just got to remember...we're racing TOY CARS! Almost none of us actually make a living racing toy cars so just keep in mind this is supposed to be fun for everyone.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Suspended

It's a racers attitude, anybody who doesn't think a slower car should move immediately is a mongtard. simple
Old 11-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

IMO, it is up to the faster driver to make a clean pass on lapped traffic during qualifying or the mains. If the lapped traffic blocking excessively, then the race director should intervene. Usually the lapping car is faster for a reason (better car/better driver), so there is no excuse for punting anyone. I've raced with fast drivers who have no regard for slower traffic (punting on the track, yelling on the stand) and ultimately they drive away racers. Good for them since there is fewer cars they have to pass, bad for the track. I am always surprised that a lot of fast local drivers don't have any idea how to race in traffic.

A good race announcer will prevent blocking/punting because they will let everyone know where they are on the track and who they are racing. Most (not all racers) will show faster racer's respect and let them by.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
At the end of the day you just got to remember...we're racing TOY CARS! Almost none of us actually make a living racing toy cars so just keep in mind this is supposed to be fun for everyone.
It's as simple as that. But I'm sure we've all come across people who have not yet figured that out.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Personally everyone has a part of the track where they tend to either push wide or tap a board. I just wait till that moment then make my move.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Not to argue, but a truly top notch high quality racer will wait for his opportunity. We call it cat and mouse at our track. One of the top guys does it intentionally to have fun. It doesn't intimidate me, but some people after about 2 laps can't take the pressure and either get out of the way or move themselves into the wall/boards. After making the mistake of trying to slow down off line last year and getting drilled by the leaders as they tried to drive around me was not fun. The problem was pre-race instruction. What really needs to happen is to have it addressed in the drivers meeting so the drivers being lapped know what to do. Some tracks say 3 corners or less and get off line when the leader comes by after being announced by the race director. Some tracks say hold your line, but don't move to block and let the leader drive by. Either way, its about the guy being lapped not being erratic. That takes practice. I've been punted when leading, I've been punted when off line trying to get out of the way. I've been door drilled in a corner after passing someone too. I've also passed a guy and intentionally slowed back down into a corner and laughed my tush off when they flew by me into the wall ending their race. Guys who do drive like the track is there only for them annoy me.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Not to argue, but a truly top notch high quality racer will wait for his opportunity. We call it cat and mouse at our track. One of the top guys does it intentionally to have fun. It doesn't intimidate me, but some people after about 2 laps can't take the pressure and either get out of the way or move themselves into the wall/boards. After making the mistake of trying to slow down off line last year and getting drilled by the leaders as they tried to drive around me was not fun. The problem was pre-race instruction. What really needs to happen is to have it addressed in the drivers meeting so the drivers being lapped know what to do. Some tracks say 3 corners or less and get off line when the leader comes by after being announced by the race director. Some tracks say hold your line, but don't move to block and let the leader drive by. Either way, its about the guy being lapped not being erratic. That takes practice. I've been punted when leading, I've been punted when off line trying to get out of the way. I've been door drilled in a corner after passing someone too. I've also passed a guy and intentionally slowed back down into a corner and laughed my tush off when they flew by me into the wall ending their race. Guys who do drive like the track is there only for them annoy me.
john i hope when i play cat and mouse you younger guys learn the line to take and not take to pass. i choose to start in the last starting spot every week. i generally get to the front by lap 5-10 i go thru traffic pretty good. if i tap someone i will wait to try again. make a clean pass in a sweeper or tight 180.. my car will hold any line you want it to. some guys i will not pass in a sweeper but most of our guys i have faith in to hold there lines.

passing rule if a car comes up to you and is faster let them go. it will only slow you both down. follow a faster car in practice and learn there lines and try to duplicate there lines. ask for help with set-ups and gear ratio's. in the main if you are fighting over a spot higher or lower by 1 spot fight it out. if let's say you are in 3rd and 1st is coming to lap you just let him go. if 4th is coming up on you duke it out with him. same as if you catch 2nd spot. it is all about driver edicate. on day you will be the guy passing the field up and will want the respect on another drive. i use to give laps up to guys when i started but now 6 years later they give the respect i gave them... jeremy

Last edited by J.Whiting; 11-17-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

And make sure that all the racers at the track know what is proper when qualifying / being lapped in the mains. At my local track I used to block the heck out of everyone that crept up behind me because I had no idea. Boy did I feel ashamed later...
Old 11-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nick Priest
It's a racers attitude, anybody who doesn't think a slower car should move immediately is a mongtard. simple
No it's not...it's a hot head attitude. Yes they should allow you by weather by holding a line or moving but going through someone when they don't is poor sportsmanship. Especially with new drivers having them try and get out of the way more often then not causes a pile up that could have been avoided had they simply held a line and let you drive around them.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jer7469
john i hope when i play cat and mouse you younger guys learn the line to take and not take to pass. i choose to start in the last starting spot every week. i generally get to the front by lap 5-10 i go thru traffic pretty good. if i tap someone i will wait to try again. make a clean pass in a sweeper or tight 180.. my car will hold any line you want it to. some guys i will not pass in a sweeper but most of our guys i have faith in to hold there lines.

passing rule if a car comes up to you and is faster let them go. it will only slow you both down. follow a faster car in practice and learn there lines and try to duplicate there lines. ask for help with set-ups and gear ratio's. in tha main if you are fighting over a spot higher or lower by 1 spot fight it out. if let's say you are in 3rd and 1st is coming to lap you just let him go. if 4th is coming up on you duke it out with him. same as if you catch 2nd spot. it is all about driver edicate. on day you will be the guy passing the field up and will want the respect on another drive. i use to give laps up to guys when i started but now 6 years later they give the respect i gave them... jeremy
I prefer less experienced... And you sir as always are the example I use for good driving and sportsmanship. I'm hoping the new bifocals work for my slightly older than your's eyes.

Allowing a pass and where to put your car so you don't lose too much time is an art. Approaching the outside line on a corner so the inside line is clean is one of them. Holding a straight line on a long straight and backing off sooner before the corner after being passed to let the passer get the corner and racing line cleanly. Not trying to drive beyond your personal limits (experience) will let you. I know my car is so much faster than I can drive it.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoTone
You have to remember, it's also hard being the lapped person.

When I used to raced I was normally mid pack. When getting lapped, some guys didn't want me to move out of my line because they were fast enough to just go around, others expected you to move.

This can be a pain in the ass for the person getting lapped.

The best thing I've found in communication on the stand.

I've had drivers coming up on me and I'll say, next turn, and they'll reply ok or stay on your line I'll go around etc..
gonna have to agree with this guy 100% communication on the stand is everything. we're driving electric so its fairly quiet and dont have to scream to get him to hear you to just go wide on a turn, thats the cleanest way IMO.

i have progressed a TON this year and though im not the best, i hate coming up on traffic(especially down the straight away into a sweeper) because i dont know which line they are going to take. most of the guys at my track are regulars and we know each other's bodies so we kindly ask the person to let us by and give a thanks when we do.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

3 corners>peel
Old 11-18-2009, 12:51 AM
Tech Champion

Try racing on a track that is 10x15m. If you can pass someone cleanly on a track that small, you earn respect.

It's like trying to overtake on the Monaco F1 track, not many places were you can pull it off

A quick mention of "lapping" in a pronounced voice on the drivers stand is very easy to do, easier than drilling into someone...

Some of the slower drivers don't realise how quickly it can be before they are lapped.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.