Wiki Posts
Search

Question to racers about lap traffic

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Question to racers about lap traffic

A question to the racers. I was running in a F1 class yesterday. I thought I was doing pretty good. The problem I had was making space to run my laps when I was around other cars. When I had room I was running anywhere from high 11 second to mid 13 second laps. When I got into traffic those lap times sky rocketed. So my question is, what do you guys do to keep those lap times down?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you're that much faster then them, just run a non-aggressive line for a few corners until they make a mistake. If they're about your speed, I like to pressure them for a few laps, and then back off for a while if I can't get by. Then if you see any kind of mistake, apply pressure again. It may force them into another mistake.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TonyK
A question to the racers. I was running in a F1 class yesterday. I thought I was doing pretty good. The problem I had was making space to run my laps when I was around other cars. When I had room I was running anywhere from high 11 second to mid 13 second laps. When I got into traffic those lap times sky rocketed. So my question is, what do you guys do to keep those lap times down?
If they are slower, stay away from them. Give them a few corners and then put the move down or force the move. If they are equal to you then stay with them and learn how to drive close but take advantage if they stuff a board. If they are faster than you, move over in a proper place like letting up on a straight off line and try to follow them as long as possible.

At a club level it's a bit rude to punt someone slower just to put another lap on them if you don't have any pressure on you so back off and wait for the right time. If it is a big event, rest assured they would punt you for the position so you need to get to it first. I always forget how badly some people will drive through you if they get loose and you put the pass down and then they come at you full wood into the next corner to spin you out or worse.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

What I found upsetting was we were trading positions at times then we would come to a corner and if I was ahead they would just crash into me. It wasn't a tap it was a hard I decided not to slow down crash. I am not an expert but I try my hardest not to hit people. The two causing me the most problems have been racing for years. It was upsetting to me because the car was really hooked yesterday and I for the most part running the same lap times as the
1st and 2nd place cars. In the mains I had held off the 1st car place from lapping me for the last minute of the race. Its not to often that I can say that
Old 11-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Regional Moderator

If it's a qualifier and you're on a faster pace than the person you're behind, the race director should let the slower driver know that they should let you by since you're racing the clock and not the other drivers. If it is during the main and you're lapping the slower driver, same thing. If it is a battle for position, it's up to you to find a way to pass. Apply pressure until they make a mistake.

Also, it's up to the passing driver to pass at the opportune time as well. In the middle of a tight chicane isn't the place to do it. It is much safer to let the slower driver go wide on a turn, like a hairpin or sweeper. Better for both drivers.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In the mains I had held off the 1st car place from lapping me for the last minute of the race. Its not to often that I can say that
Although it is a "gray area", and hard to say without being there and seeing the race -- it sure sounds like you were blocking the leader... It is normally just common courtesy to let the leaders go -- if they are lapping you, and you block for a full minute, almost any one will punt you eventually. remember they are in a battle for the WIN -- I understand the moral victory of not getting lapped, but the reality is they ARE a full lap ahead of you and blocking them is inappropriate...
Old 11-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tfrahm
Although it is a "gray area", and hard to say without being there and seeing the race -- it sure sounds like you were blocking the leader... It is normally just common courtesy to let the leaders go -- if they are lapping you, and you block for a full minute, almost any one will punt you eventually. remember they are in a battle for the WIN -- I understand the moral victory of not getting lapped, but the reality is they ARE a full lap ahead of you and blocking them is inappropriate...
Sounds like he is basically guilty of the same offence he is complaining about

Lapped traffic rules are quite clear... if you are being lapped, let the faster car through (easiest way is to pull wide at a corner, it will cost you hardly any time if done right).

If you are lapping, you can expect the same treatment in return.

If you are being blocked, a quick call of "lapping" is appropriate. I also find that a "thankyou" after you have been let by is a good way of keeping the rostrum etiquette polite, and also a good way of letting people know that you are a lap ahead before you come around again!
Old 11-17-2009, 01:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The best way to keep consistency down in lapped traffic is to take it as though they are not even there. You are lapping them because you have better lines, and are faster than them. So if you just drive like usual, you should get through the traffic, pulling off the same lap times and not getting phased by the cars around you. This applies unless the lapped traffic is excessively bad... as in a few seconds a lap off your pace.

This is how i do it, and it always works every time, i have not hit a lapped car for a year at least.

Hope this helps,

Ryan.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sosidge
Sounds like he is basically guilty of the same offence he is complaining about

Lapped traffic rules are quite clear... if you are being lapped, let the faster car through (easiest way is to pull wide at a corner, it will cost you hardly any time if done right).

If you are lapping, you can expect the same treatment in return.

If you are being blocked, a quick call of "lapping" is appropriate. I also find that a "thankyou" after you have been let by is a good way of keeping the rostrum etiquette polite, and also a good way of letting people know that you are a lap ahead before you come around again!
+1 on all that.

The more you race at a club, the more you get to understand who will let you though and who seems to make contact with you when you're lapping them.

With the latter, I guess you just have to be stealthy and pass them when they least expect it, if they are not going to play nicely.

An aggressive move down the inside of them a few times usually tells them the story, if they are not going to go about letting you through politely, in the way most others would.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:48 AM
Suspended

Balls to playing nice, if someone i'm lapping doesn't let me past within one corner then its time for a good bit of Matt Neal maneuvering with an aggressive down the inside and a love tap to follow...

Idiotic slower people with no track etiquette, learn to race ....
Old 11-17-2009, 03:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm sure punting new slower racers off the track will encourage them to come back next time.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rob Burns
I'm sure punting new slower racers off the track will encourage them to come back next time.
Absolutely. And club numbers are down already with the financial climate.

But the main problem is when you have cars of equal speed and not much room on the track to play with. In a slow class (which is where most beginners will race) it is very difficult not to get hit every now and then. Try to go easy behind the person you are trying to overtake until they make a mistake. I have a corner where I know everybody will go wide and I can cut on the inside so I prefer to wait until then. Normally this gives them a bit of time to notice me behind them and perhaps let me through on their own volition.

When trying to go through a pack of cars you're lapping is down to luck I think. They crash into each other every so often so perhaps if you can wait a bit they'll take each other out and you can go ahead undisturbed.

But one thing you can not protect yourself from is the classic beginner mistake who charge into the corner thinking they'll catch up as you slow down to apex the turn and hit you right at the apex. There isn't anything you can do about it and it is a classic mistake. That is if not done on purpose. I am trying to mention this mistake everytime at our club to new comers but I am not sure they even realise they're doing it (perhaps the illusion they'll catch up with the car that just passed them is too strong and it takes over their trigger finger).
Old 11-17-2009, 05:08 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the advice. I was no way blocking the leader. I was running my race he was running his. Our lap times were pretty much equal that last minute. I had a couple of car lengths on him and the gap wasn't getting smaller. I always give the spot to the faster driver. I even tell him to take spot and move out of the way.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks for the advice. I was no way blocking the leader. I was running my race he was running his. Our lap times were pretty much equal that last minute. I had a couple of car lengths on him and the gap wasn't getting smaller. I always give the spot to the faster driver. I even tell him to take spot and move out of the way.
The key to your statement though is if his lap times slowed down to match yours. If I was leading and was comfortable with my lead, already had a good spot in the main and that type of thing I would just sit behind you and run your pace to avoid any conflict but if I was barely on the bubble and it was the last qualifier before the mains.. as said above, a few corners and I'm going to force the issue because I need the faster laps during the last minute.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Slower cars are obligated to move out of the leading car's line. Refusing to give the right of way is open to the leader's discretion. May he/she have mercy on your soul.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.