Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEW MyLaps Transponder

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 11:10 AM
sac
Tech Regular

The I-lap is infered and the AMB/MYLAPS is RF.The I-LAP will read through some painted bodies,but a clear spot or even a small hole in the body works even better.As long as the PT is facing up and a direct view to the senors it will read every time.The AMB doesn't need to be line of sight but it can have issue's it self ,mostly a low signal or bad placement were the PT isn't laying flat and as low as possible.Some even say graphite and carbon fiber causes a problem,but that may be a rare case.
The big thing is the AMB worth the added expense for what are mostly club tracks for the weekend racer,my answer is NO!it is huge expense for something that just counts laps.
You can get into a I-LAP system with everything to get started for a 10ft wide track with 10 track transponder's for about $800 +/-.To do that with a AMB your looking at about $3500 +/- for the decoder and loop,PLUS about $900+(depending on what PT you buy ) for 10 track transponder's.For about 95% of the track's out there and the one's who want to start tracks,the AMB is just a very big expense for the owner.When they can the I-LAP for much less money and get very reliable and accurate lap counter.

This is just my opinion ,i have been in this hobby for sense 1983 and remember when the AMB came out ,and it cost around $2500+ to get one.They also were far from be perfect. At times they will act up and you were better off hand counting.
I think racers don't understand how much things cost and its easy for them to tell a track or club just by a AMB.They don't care how much its cost,if that track closes down because it doesn't make enough money to help pay back for some of the cost .they will just move to next track.

Sac

Last edited by sac; 03-05-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ed Anderson
They've aways charged me $20 shipping... whether it was 1 transponder or 30, COAX or decoder... or any combination of the above.
Dumb since none of those items would cost $20 to ship and certainly not a PT!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

or8ital did you order a transponder? I submitted an order today and was told nothing about a possible delay, which there better not be since I need one in 2 weeks.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by K_King
or8ital did you order a transponder? I submitted an order today and was told nothing about a possible delay, which there better not be since I need one in 2 weeks.
Yes, 12 of them on January 21. They said they hope to get them sometime in April last I asked.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Our club has ordered around 30 of them and we were told mid April
Old 03-14-2010, 05:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have 12 coming too. She said late April. Of course there could be another delay but hope not! Worth the wait though seeing the price will be going up when they get stock.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

So they charge you, as they have done to me, to ship you a DELAYED product? That doesnt make sense to me.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

Yeah when I mine they told me march and now they have $700 of mine and no clue as to when it will really be shipped.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Didn't make sense to me either but I asked if I could get it refunded at any time i decided not to wait any longer and they said I could.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Guy's take it easy.

I'm waiting for mine also,...
They have massive orders an there are ordered about 100 pieces each week...
MyLaps is working really hard to please every driver! But they just didn't know it would be such a success. They try to please everyone and have switched to second gear. This week there are 750 more transponders to be send to all the drivers, but with 6000 of them on the backorder list they cannot please everyone immediately....

Best Regards

Robert
Old 03-15-2010, 04:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Robert_K
Guy's take it easy.

I'm waiting for mine also,...
They have massive orders an there are ordered about 100 pieces each week...
MyLaps is working really hard to please every driver! But they just didn't know it would be such a success. They try to please everyone and have switched to second gear. This week there are 750 more transponders to be send to all the drivers, but with 6000 of them on the backorder list they cannot please everyone immediately....

Best Regards

Robert
Perhaps they shouldn't sell them worldwide if they can't handle the demand. Rather than collecting nearly half a million dollars and leaving people hanging without even being able to tell them when the product will be available.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Perhaps they shouldn't sell them worldwide if they can't handle the demand. Rather than collecting nearly half a million dollars and leaving people hanging without even being able to tell them when the product will be available.
Agreed. Taking money without product (or even a firm ship date) is a really scuzzy way to run a business.

That, combined with the $20 shipping charge, has really left a bad taste in my mouth about this whole 'upgrade' ordeal.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I use I-lap for 2 season it works flawlesly not to metion we use this timing system in 1/8th off-road racing.... Only down side is when I hold a big event with 50++ drivers it's hard handing and getting back house transponder... So I was force to switch to AMB.... I know is pretty rediculous AMB bump up the price that is use to be $40 for the same transponder.....

Originally Posted by sac
For tracks looking for a lap counter there are alternative's.The I-LAP is the best alternative to a AMB,even over the Robotronics.
I have been running the I-LAP going on three season and it has worked flawless!yes the AMB is used at large events,but who care's.Most racing is club racing and i am willing to bet less than 10% of rc racers will ever attend a big national event.
All these systems do is count laps ,and both do a great job of that.
I-LAP PT'S are around $40 ,which helps keep the cost down.For those track owners who maybe interested in the i-lap system don't let the racers talk you into a AMB if you can't afford it,it is not worth putting yourself in debt for it!for those who will complain about it not being a AMB they will come around once they see it work.Just offer a track set of transponders,that way the racer who does not want to put out for a PT can race without the extra expense.Also the one's who complain about it not being a AMB don't have to put out extra for a PT and leaves them no excuse for not racing at your track.
The I-LAP system is used at many tracks here in the U.S and there are many tracks in Europe using it as well.They are sold all over the world and gaining popularity because people are getting tired of the over priced AMB.

Die hard racers will race no matter what type of lap counter is being used!!Just think they could always go back to hand counting!!
For the racer who say's he will not race at a track were AMB is not used .your not a racer just some who looks for excuses not to race,and a lap counter is not a good excuse!

Lets face people will complain about the cost of the AMB systems $3500+ new and they will complain about the cost of the transponder $90+,but most of you will still buy because you think you need it and that is what AMB/MYLAPS is counting on.

I-LAP website www.rclapcounter.com

SAC
Old 04-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Anybody gotten the new transponders yet? I see mylaps has them on the website now.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

no price tag yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.