Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Xray T1

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 10:55 AM
Tech Regular

Hey guys, quick question.
I got a used Evo2 with a spur that saids 125, which means its 64 pitch right? I see on mytsn set up that most people use spur around 88-95 which means they're 48 pitch yea?
So my question is whats the pros and cons of running 48P vs 64P?
Thanks
Old 01-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by lawndoggie
Hey guys, quick question.
I got a used Evo2 with a spur that saids 125, which means its 64 pitch right? I see on mytsn set up that most people use spur around 88-95 which means they're 48 pitch yea?
So my question is whats the pros and cons of running 48P vs 64P?
Thanks
64p has more finer tuning opttions. They're also more fragile and a little more quiter than 48p.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So this aint a lemon, its a flaw on a perfect kit

Thanks.

Originally posted by ASM
Not only have I heard of a blown bearing on the spur, I've lived it It cost me a win in a recent qualifier. It also fried the plastic piece as well. That's not a real common size bearing, so I suggest you keep an extra one with you. I also spoke to another xray owner yesterday at the track and he had also experienced the same problem. This seems to suggust that the bearing size isn't sufficient to handle the load.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Anybody know of a hobby store I can order Xray parts (6 degree caster blocks, axles, belts and metric screws)?
Old 01-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just to give a quick tip on metric screws, especially for you guys that don't have local hobby shops that keep X Ray stuff in stock, Ace Hardware rocks! I bought my Evo2 on ebay and it was missing a few misc screws (wheels, engine mounting) and since I couldn't find anywhere on line that had them in stock while I was in Ace I checked out their huge screw/nut/bolt section and sure enough they had EXACTLY what I needed. Stainless steel, hex end, the whole shooting match for like 13 cents each! They didn't have ball ends (that I saw, but I wouldn't count them out...), but I also stocked up on extra set screws for pinions, wheels, anything that I could remember. They even have tie rods if your desperate! They were called something Automotive but they had a whole box of them in a ton of sizes. Possibly not as good as Hudy parts, but definatly better than paying $7 shipping for $3 worth of screws.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:30 AM
B4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

dr_hfuhuhurr,

You have pm....
Old 01-08-2004, 05:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default final drive ratio

can anyone tell me how to compute for the final drive ratio
of xray. Thanks
Old 01-08-2004, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Final Drive Ratio = Spur/Pinion * Internal Ratio

Also...I've been having some trouble with deploying my Pocket PC rollout calculator so I put it to the web.

http://www.2brainsdesign.com/2brains...lloutcalc.aspx

A windows version is coming as well.

Blake
Old 01-08-2004, 05:28 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Re: final drive ratio

Originally posted by speed
can anyone tell me how to compute for the final drive ratio
of xray. Thanks
Spur/Pinion X Internal Gear ratio (either 2.125 or 1.77) .

Internal depends on whether you have the low pulley set or not
Old 01-08-2004, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by 429racer
Anybody know of a hobby store I can order Xray parts (6 degree caster blocks, axles, belts and metric screws)?
Give Ashford Hobby a call. They had everything I wanted in stock including 6 degree blocks. Serpent didn't even have that.

www.ashfordhobby.com

Also, check out www.rcscrewz.com for screws. $18 for a full set of stainless screws for the EVO2. They are nice
Old 01-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by psbarger
Just to give a quick tip on metric screws, especially for you guys that don't have local hobby shops that keep X Ray stuff in stock, Ace Hardware rocks! I bought my Evo2 on ebay and it was missing a few misc screws (wheels, engine mounting) and since I couldn't find anywhere on line that had them in stock while I was in Ace I checked out their huge screw/nut/bolt section and sure enough they had EXACTLY what I needed. Stainless steel, hex end, the whole shooting match for like 13 cents each! They didn't have ball ends (that I saw, but I wouldn't count them out...), but I also stocked up on extra set screws for pinions, wheels, anything that I could remember. They even have tie rods if your desperate! They were called something Automotive but they had a whole box of them in a ton of sizes. Possibly not as good as Hudy parts, but definatly better than paying $7 shipping for $3 worth of screws.
That's generally the case at hardware stores, lots of great stuff at inexpensive prices. If you get the screws through a RC company, be ready to pay a bit more.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

For carpet everyone talks about stiffer chassis this and stiff upper deck that.

What is it that makes stiffer better? What would I expect going from the standard upper deck on the evo2 to the stiff upper deck?
Old 01-08-2004, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

dr_hfuhuhurr, stiffer is generally better when you are running foam tires on carpet. A stiffer chassis/upper deck makes the car handle much more consistently. Which leads to a tigher, faster line and fewer mistakes. Also, it seems like a stiffer car carries more corner speed, which is what roadcourse racing is all about.

A more flexible chassis/upper deck is better for low-traction racing, like running rubber tires on either asphalt or carpet. The extra flex gives more traction to the car, when it would otherwise slide in the corners.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

one way to think of it is that if the chassis is completely rigid (no flex), then the cars suspension and suspension geometry does the work. You are not using the chassis of the car as another shock if you will. Since carpet tracks are generally flat and have more trackion, you do no need to take into consideration the uneven track conditions on a parking lot track. I believe a lot of the bouncing and rolling down the staight of a parking lot track is taken up by the flex of a chassis. Since carpet is soo smooth, we would want the car to react as quick as possible.

Also, the effects of tuning, make a more dramatic difference on carpet. Because again the cars suspension is doing the work and you are not fighting the reaction of teh chassis flexing and twisting.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

That's pretty much what I thought. Thanks for the info.

Just installed the stiff upper deck on my EVO2. I do race on a pretty tight carpet track on foams (Ultra Racing in Cinci, OH).

We'll see the difference this weekend. Hopefully in lower lap times.

Blake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.