Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Tech Adept

I agree it maybe a bad sensor board or bad sensor harness.
Use the built in Hall sensor tester function in the Kinetic to isolate the problem.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Tech Initiate

I had a problem when I turned my Kinetic on it didn't power up, no lights, but the fan would run. It was very random, sometimes it would boot up sometimes not. I also noticed when running on the bench some high speed cogging. I ended up replacing the sensor board in my motor and both problems have vanished. It boots perfect and no cogging at high speed on the bench. Very happy, now I just need to work out how to configure the rev range.. There must be a calculation or "rule of thumb", or is it down to trail and error via lap times?
Old 09-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Adept

going testing/racing at NORCAL Raceway,home of this years REEDY and ROAR NATS, in the morning. first chance with 1.3. wish me luck!! i will post settings and results. i never seem to have good luck there, great place and people, just gotta break the curse!!!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all rang novak and decided to send it in as i live in Australia it cost just as much in shipping as it would just to buy a new one. Im very curiuos to see whats causing the problem.
After talking with john hallman it could be a faulty sensor board in the motor
causing a short in the esc but its very hard to diagnose over the phone.
As i purchased the kinetic and a GTB spread spectrum both having the same issues its to much money not find out whats going on as the problem only started when i used the 4.5t 550 motor.
The GTB worked fine with the 4.5t 540 motor.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default The Brakes are Gone

Dear Novak, in the event of low voltage, please shut down the braking more gracefully.

Anyone else notice that your brakes will trigger the voltage cutoff and cause the brakes to shut off at high speed thereby rendering your vehicle uncontrollable?
Old 09-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Adept

Default Kinetic battery cutoff

Originally Posted by pmes
Dear Novak, in the event of low voltage, please shut down the braking more gracefully.

Anyone else notice that your brakes will trigger the voltage cutoff and cause the brakes to shut off at high speed thereby rendering your vehicle uncontrollable?
Normally the battery voltage tends go to up for a few 1/10 of a seconds or so during Braking due to regenerative braking circuit.

Battery voltage tends to drop only while accelerating.

Our Kinetic warn you 15 times with 3/10 of second blip (Dead band) before going into shut down, at this point the of battery dis-charge the batteries have very little left in them.
You should pull over after the first blip to protect your batteries.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Adept

Kind of follow up on my last post.

Kinetic battery cutoff is based on a very large number battery voltage samples taken over a period of about 25-30 seconds. This time variation is due to transmitter frame rate.
We sample over 64 times and then get average over that time period to prevent false shut off do to voltage dip during acceleration or electrical noise.
Shut off voltage of 6.3 volts is pretty safe for most Lipo batteries, our test have indicated that at 6.3 volt you only have 20-40 seconds left in the battery pack.

I would recommend that you stop running you vehicle after the first throttle blip and protect you investment in the batteries. If you run your batteries past that 6.3 or 6.2 volt point you will reduce the cycle life of the battery pack.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by escman
Normally the battery voltage tends go to up for a few 1/10 of a seconds or so during Braking due to regenerative braking circuit.

Battery voltage tends to drop only while accelerating.

Our Kinetic warn you 15 times with 3/10 of second blip (Dead band) before going into shut down, at this point the of battery dis-charge the batteries have very little left in them.
You should pull over after the first blip to protect your batteries.
Thanks for the tip. I will try to be more careful.

I wonder why my brakes are suddenly shutting off in the middle of braking.

I do appreciate the higher cutoff voltage, thanks for caring.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 153 (100%+)

Hey guys. Having trouble updating the firmware from the disc to the 1.3. Bought the Novalink today and was able to install the regular version, just not able to update. Any suggestions?
Old 09-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

You can only install the 1.3 firmware from the newer 1.3 version of the program. Using the software from the disk it won't recognize the 1.3 firmware file.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Got it! I unistalled the old version and added the 1.3. No problem

Last edited by Ray Kindstrom; 09-11-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

So I was able to update the NL to 1.3 but it will not allow me to update the firmware. I'm going on hour 5....can anyone help? This is getting silly

When I try to use the firmware updater I get this message: To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled

Last edited by Ray Kindstrom; 09-11-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Are you having the speedo plugged in when trying to update? When you go to firmware updater it should load up a file (count up to 1000) then tell you to plug in the speedo. You have to make all the pins connect correctly, I believe a few people were having issues where the updater would just close when the speedo was plugged in. I can't remember if starting with the black side or the white side of the connector yielded better results. I'd also remove the older firmware file (outlada11.rdd) from C:\program files\novak electronics\novalink.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

I figured out that I needed to make my computer have a "run as administrator" box. Took care of all of that. Now it can't find the file for the new firmware. I will try playing around with it after breakfast. If it doesn't work I will work with the 1.1 that's on the start up disc.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Tech Regular

Okay so I now have the dreaded 5 light flash and then nothing

Looks like a bad "brain board" judging by other posts on here???

1 out of 3 race meetings successfully runnning the kinetic

Novak tech support contacted, see what they say. This is becoming part of the hobby with the Kinetic.

I was updating settings on the ESC via the laptop, after completing the upload of timing settings the software said ESC disconnected and the problem started.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.