Community
Wiki Posts
Search

XRAY T3

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I really want to know why HPI springs are the best? What makes them so great? I would buy them all if somebody could just explain to me what is the feature which makes them stand out of the rest of the springs? (I bet they are cheaper than the xray ones )
Old 10-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WheelNut
Wow, you RC America drivers are a bit touchy aren't you, lol. They're talking about springs after all, it's just a tuning option.
What if you were to use AE shock oil, oh my god! The horror!
No it is called bastarderizing a product. Talking about performance parts, not consumable such as lubricants and oils.

I see a lot of TC5R out there loaded with XRAY parts and then complaining that XRAYs are too expensive. I see a lot Cyclone's out there with XRAY knuckles, and Tamiya shocks. Check out the TOP thread, there is a whole lot of talk about Tamiya schocks, Yokomo spools, XRAY parts, etc. We carry a bunch of XRAY body mounts with us to the track because there are alway in demand.

XRAY makes a complete product that you can take from the box straight to the track and race at the highest competitive level.. I am sure that if Hudy sees a product on his car that is consistently being replaced in competition, he would engineer an equal or better part and make it immediately available to everyone. No special parts that are only available to the factory drivers.

Again, if you are on this thread, I am preaching to the choir - right?
Old 10-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

While I have never tried HPI springs, I do know when I ran my FK04 back in the day I much preferred Corally springs to Xray ones for the same spring rate, as the Corally springs had less coils and had a very different feel.

I know a lot of people used to run Trinity Congo springs on TC3's and XXX's back in the day since they preferred how the difference in progressiveness felt.

I have to imagine the HPI spring preference goes along the same lines. I remember seeing them on multiple brands of car's in invite at the Reedy Race when it was at Tamiya and that the HPI and AE springs were preferred to Corally ones by some drivers due to how they felt. As you can have the same rate spring achieved in various different ways by adjusting the type of medal, the coil thickness and amount of coils in the spring.

how much it actually matters on the track is quesitionable, but I can say without a doubt that for foam I hated how xray springs felt, as they had about double the coils of Corally springs for the same spring rate and stiffness (and of course the rating might not be accurate as well, e.g. a corally 35lb is probably not equal to a 35lb pound despite the rating).
Old 10-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stormperson
I know a lot of people used to run Trinity Congo springs on TC3's and XXX's back in the day since they preferred how the difference in progressiveness felt.
There has been a discussion on springs elsewhere on this board, interesting that drivers say that the same rate of springs feel more (or less) progressive when all springs are linear, until the coils touch etc.

I think we're better off knowing what their true ratings are instead.

Skiddins
Old 10-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Like many things in RC, nothing is 100% precise of consistant, so lap times and track feel generally makes more sense than common sense in a lot of cases.

And perhaps the amount of coils and its thickness affects how it compresses and perhaps they compress differently for the same amount of force applied. I am not an engineer and couldnt explain why, but I highly suggest trying it out yourself and comparing the results.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Masami last ISTC race had used 1 pair YOKOMO Spring ,
& 1 pair other spring , you can find in A Main had how many driver used HPI Spring ?
Attached Thumbnails XRAY T3-img_0014.jpg  
Old 10-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

XRAY web site updated
T3 Shipping NOW !!
Old 10-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Still no US companies offering pre-order of the T3?
Old 10-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i know this is a T3 thread, but everyone can see that XRAY truly understands marketing. Like other great performance brands such as Apple, Porsche, BMW, etc, XRAY understand branding and product placement. XRAY first understood quality from a TQM (Total Quality Management), pricing, and wrapped it with no compromise performance. The last part, is that you have to win races to prove it.

That is why Apple sells their own monitors, their own keyboards, but not printers. Products physically attached to their products should have the same quality and deliver the same performance. In marketing is called product badging. Others might see it as control.

Other manufactures are still trying to figure out this formula. It takes a passion for the hobby.

That is why a XRAY car goes for sale on the used thread, very rarely is a picture required. Other cars require a lot of explanation why the seller installed a BMI chassie, a Tamiya shock, HPI springs, etc. All these additional prices are not recovered and actually lower the value of the brand.

Please don't put HPI springs on an XRAY. If you one of those guys that like to "hop up" everything and make your car personal, at least paint it black and keep the source confidential.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Skiddins
...when all springs are linear, until the coils touch etc...
Skiddins
compression springs are fairly linear over the central 60% of its deflection range, the first and last 20% of deflection range is non-linear due to end coil effect.
I measured some Xray springs I had on hand a while ago, they came pretty close to what they say they are:
Dark Blue 25 lbs - measured 24.3 lbs
Violet 28 lbs - measured 28.3 lbs
Light Purple 30 lbs - measured 30 lbs
Purple 33 lbs - measured 32.6 lbs

Note - units are in pounds, but it's actually Spring Rate in lb/unit length

Last edited by ILoveCaseysMom; 10-21-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TeamB&B
Please don't put HPI springs on an XRAY. If you one of those guys that like to "hop up" everything and make your car personal, at least paint it black and keep the source confidential.

Your joking right??

Running different brand springs wouldn't be done as a "Hop Up" but as a tuning option.
Every brand of spring has a different feel, some suit certain tracks and driving styles and some don't. It is as simple as that.

Anybody who doesn't understand this, well I'll not bother wasting my time there....

Luke
Old 10-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

+1
Old 10-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Who cares what springs you run. Are you only gonna run xray springs if there was a track that Hara or HPI springs were faster on and you were loosing tenth's?

I mean, who cares. Tamiya team drivers use HPI springs. And there killing everybody arnt they? Maybe thats the key rite??

I mean, Im a Apple loyalist, iMac, iPod, iPhone, but my iMac is double booting XP. Big woop
Old 10-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by M-Technic
Still no US companies offering pre-order of the T3?

Mimi Wong's "The Track" is taking pre-orders. I know she has a dozen coming, just give her a call at 301-417-9630. On all the previous xrays, she is one of the first hobby shops to get them. I know she is with Corally.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=M-Technic;6503056]Still no US companies offering pre-order of the T3?[/QUOTE

The Track in Gaitherburg Maryland (301.417.9630) is contact Mimi Wong You type faster then me Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.