Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions? >

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

I can assure you, after speaking to the developer of the Black Diamond ESC that it does not contain any nuclear reactor, voltage booster or such thing.
The thing is, Åke has impressive motor controlling experience and from industrial controlling and has worked full time on this ESC to achieve higher torque at higher RPM's. Intelligent self-adjusting timing is the key, just like the LRP SPX and such, but this is so much better.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Another point people are missing is this is the first time we've seen single cell lipo in competition. CRC found a speed control specifically made for this setup. Think about it, we have 3 new technologies in 1/12 scale, brushless motors, LiPo batteries, and now 3.7 volt power. Granted brushless has been around for a bit but the low voltage battery is new.

And 1/12 scale is not a class for newbies.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:13 AM
Tech Adept

Default I know what's making the CRC ESC so quick...

What's that next to the ESC ?
That's not a normal capacitor....

Oh no... that's a FLUX capacitor

(I'll get my coat)
Old 09-15-2009, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

1.21 GIGAWATTS!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

you guys are gonna beat this horse to death drop it already or is this gonna come up again at all the big races when we all just get faster

if roar wants to regulate software then they will have to hand out sealed speedos tekin comes out with new software every month lrp has new speedos along with novak even know its still in the works

their is no way the reciever pack put any power to the motor the speedo has a built in regulator its the size of a tic tac and it is sold seperatly
Old 09-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'd like to see some specs on the Black Diamond. Sounds like very cool technology. I'm sure the Tekin camp might be able to emulate it via firmware as well as the other mfgs. From a purely tech standpoint, this is very cool stuff.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sparx
I can assure you, after speaking to the developer of the Black Diamond ESC that it does not contain any nuclear reactor, voltage booster or such thing.
The thing is, Åke has impressive motor controlling experience and from industrial controlling and has worked full time on this ESC to achieve higher torque at higher RPM's. Intelligent self-adjusting timing is the key, just like the LRP SPX and such, but this is so much better.
I hope it's just timing control and nothing to do with the RX pack It would be impressive to see it work without the RX pack or in a 2S car to eliminate that.

Many of the ESC companies have that same industrial training back ground. I'm almost sure we've had regenerative braking and boost longer than most industries.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So, the way I see it, Tekin and the Black Diamond ESC are head and shoulders ahead of the rest until the rest come up with firmware updates, dynamic timing etc etc etc. Doesn't sound bad to me I agree with Derek as far as hoping that the speeds that were seen at the IIC had nothing to do with the RX pack, that would put a huge damper on what seems to be a really cool and possibly the next big step in electronic tech in our hobby.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

im sure when they come out a sedan guy can buy one and try it but frank is a 12 guy so thats why they were all in 12 cars
Old 09-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Here is what we have learned from this incident:

1.) All major races will now specify you can only run electronics available to the public that are NON prototypes. The exception would be mod.
2.) No Rx pack can be wired into the ESC itself.
3.) ESC's that are software upgradeable will continue to be legal and next to impossible to tech.

We contacted advanced electronics in Sweden for comment and this was their reply:
Hi.

Thank you for the interest, I suppose you are from USA?
For more info about the speed controll used by Team CRC in vegas,
please contact Frank at CRC as he will handle the US market.

Fortunately we have someone in the office that speaks Swedish. We will keep you posted. Jeff
Old 09-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

does advanced electronics have a website?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCTVLIVE

1.) All major races will now specify you can only run electronics available to the public that are NON prototypes. The exception would be mod.
3.) ESC's that are software upgradeable will continue to be legal and next to impossible to tech.

We contacted advanced electronics in Sweden for comment and this was their reply:
Hi.

Thank you for the interest, I suppose you are from USA?
For more info about the speed controll used by Team CRC in vegas,
please contact Frank at CRC as he will handle the US market.

Fortunately we have someone in the office that speaks Swedish. We will keep you posted. Jeff
You forgot one.

4.) As long as people have internet connections, there will be whining/drama/crying foul after EVERY big race..
Old 09-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCTVLIVE

Not necessarily
Not necessarily

Spot on.

We contacted advanced electronics in Sweden for comment and this was their reply ...
We will keep you posted. Jeff
Excellent.

Regards,
Carter
Old 09-15-2009, 11:06 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smyka
you guys are gonna beat this horse to death drop it already or is this gonna come up again at all the big races when we all just get faster

if roar wants to regulate software then they will have to hand out sealed speedos tekin comes out with new software every month lrp has new speedos along with novak even know its still in the works

their is no way the reciever pack put any power to the motor the speedo has a built in regulator its the size of a tic tac and it is sold seperatly
I could care less what ESC's any of you guys were running, I want some CRC/Speed Merchant driving lessons!

Dumper, Dumas, Smyka all of the fast guys were running great with exceptional lines and I need the help!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abailey21
I need psychiatric help!
WHOA! The first step in recovery is recognizing the problem!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.