Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions? >

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by wingracer
Maybe so but how do you enforce it? Even if you come up with some way of checking the profile from every manufacturer I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to have a hidden profile that can be activated after tech. As nice as some rules would be, if it can't be effectively enforced, it can't be made a rule.
This is exactly the issue I brought up back when BL was being looked at to be legal. I brought up the parallel to what happened in paintball with hidden profiles and essentially cheater software and it was shot down back then...But lack of foresight, even though it was pointed out, has put us in this situation and we will have to live with it...the gene is out of the bottle already so to speak.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Whats changed?

It used to be the team drivers would get the best cells and stronger motors, the ones that stood out as the matchers and builders were matching and dynoing. I am sure that there are now the odd lipo cell that stands out and the odd brushless motor that runs a little stronger. The team drivers will get these. They will also get the top notch software that isn't acceptable for every application so it will never be released to the public. If you want these things become a team driver, if they won't let you on their team join another. If your not good enough to make the team you don't need the good stuff, you need the club racing gear.

My opinion only
Old 09-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Champion

What's changed is now instead of everyone changing to the $40 or $80 motor of the week they are changing to the $200 ESC of the week.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cammer
Whats changed?

It used to be the team drivers would get the best cells and stronger motors, the ones that stood out as the matchers and builders were matching and dynoing. I am sure that there are now the odd lipo cell that stands out and the odd brushless motor that runs a little stronger. The team drivers will get these. They will also get the top notch software that isn't acceptable for every application so it will never be released to the public. If you want these things become a team driver, if they won't let you on their team join another. If your not good enough to make the team you don't need the good stuff, you need the club racing gear.

My opinion only
Why not make racing better and give the privateers a fighting chance? Have an Approved Speed Control list for every big race.
If you want to allow all of the profile, throttle curve, turbo boost mumbo jumbo, then add those speed controls to your list.
If you don't, then don't.
It's that simple and could help the hobby.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Danny-b23
Why not make racing better and give the privateers a fighting chance? Have an Approved Speed Control list for every big race.
If you want to allow all of the profile, throttle curve, turbo boost mumbo jumbo, then add those speed controls to your list.
If you don't, then don't.
It's that simple and could help the hobby.
So then I would need one speed control to race a ROAR race and a different (read second) to race the IIC and then a third to race the Riders suck 300 in toon town. (Yeah that was a Saskatchewan cheap shot, couldn't help myself)
Old 09-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Tech Adept

I would say that this will stop or slow down having to buy new speed controls. With the ability to update the software as the mfg finds improvements saves the cost of buying a new one. This is nothing new, Castle creations has had updatable firmware for several years, they just have not made sensor speed controls.

I personally bought tekins for the ability to update off the computer. Would not even consider another speed control without the ability to be updated. Would not want to be stuck with a $150 controller that is now outdated because there is a new revision of software. Would hate to be a retailer who gets stuck with old revision controllers that no one will buy. Would much prefer to have one that can always be current.

What makes a good brushless controller is the software. It isnt like the old brushed controllers which were pretty much just a switch with variable duty cycle.

John
Old 09-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Is there really an issue with this? Seems to me the Tekin, LRP, KO and others are all keeping up with each other. Maybe the Novak struggles but it is also 3 years old. I guess I don't see the problem and I'm not really seeing speedos of the week.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Fill me in what was going down with speedos in vegas.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Yeah because if it's simply Tekin's software version 200, that is a software update available to any Tekin owner.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
Fill me in what was going down with speedos in vegas.
Did someone come out with a speedo that with the ability to set up AND drive the car?!? lmao
Old 09-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Tekin had something going on. They were lowering delay to .3 sec. Who knows what else they had up their sleeves.

--pakk
Old 09-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Jeff, you have PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Todd Putnam
Did someone come out with a speedo that with the ability to set up AND drive the car?!? lmao
LOL I only have access to that V201
Old 09-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

crc had a new speedo
Old 09-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Man people will complain about anything . if you are getting beat because of your speedo then you need to practice more ,ive seen people with a few year old speedos beat people with new ones. its all about driving and set up...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.