Search
Like Tree1568Likes

Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1spunspur
Hi Mr. 30Tooth, I thought we were talking about not using a TC like body, but that link you just entered http://radiocontrolracing.co.uk/WebR...5/LSB001_m.jpg
looks like a TC body to me. I was thinking more of a Tamiya Nissan style myself. Maybe with rear bi-wing? I think this was mentioned earlier on in this thread. I'd like to hear a little more about that.
Oh just used that body as an example of a body that isn't one piece in the mould.
My bodyshell is more of a 962, going to see how difficult is to make something like the nissan and get back at you

I'm afraid that the front end design is difficult to recreate with the space constraints and wouldn't offer something my design doesn't offer or do while being more laborious. I'm putting the Nissan R90 in the back burner until I test the plaster replacement.

Last edited by 30Tooth; 08-24-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 1spunspur
Hi Mr. 30Tooth, I thought we were talking about not using a TC like body, but that link you just entered http://radiocontrolracing.co.uk/WebR...5/LSB001_m.jpg
looks like a TC body to me. I was thinking more of a Tamiya Nissan style myself. Maybe with rear bi-wing? I think this was mentioned earlier on in this thread. I'd like to hear a little more about that.
He's just referring to making bodies that aren't in a single piece, this is just an example.

Another example would be the Team Muso LM-P Type1, with its separate shark fin and nose wing.

Edit: oops, should have gone on the next page!
Old 08-24-2016, 07:10 AM
Tech Addict

I see now,thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing that 962.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:59 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Joost K.
The main issue with the Lola bodies in the beginning was not the amount of downforce, the canopy being open or not.
The issue was the fact that is was a body produced for GAS powered cars. In the beginning we (in the Netherlands) only wanted bodies specific made for ELECTRIC powered cars.
The term "No Lola's" was not really referring to the full scale racecar brand Lola (which made really nice racecars in both LeMans 24hrs LMP1 & LMP2) but referring to the GAS powered bodies used in the 1/8th and 1/10th IC classes. Which used to be ONLY one type of body, the Lola. After that there was also a 1/8th scale Peugeot P908 body and Blitz also had other types of bodies. But the term "No Lola" stayed and was in figure of speech kept being used to refer to the Gas powered car bodies.
Ah, I see, so it was said like that in the Dutch rules. This was probably meant to avoid the massive side dams and spoiler, I'm guessing, but formulated as "no bodies for IC cars". And because the IC car bodies used to be only style after a Lola, that became a figure of speech for "those big wedge-shaped IC car bodies", understood.

Thanks for the explanation!

Originally Posted by G-rem
My guess is the Mix Lola-SLB is the best all-around body for the Pro10 class (even if I hate it, I find it ugly compared to the VIP VPL V2)
That MIX Lola-SLB body is fairly tame, compared with some other IC bodies... The spoiler isn't as tall as some, and the side dams don't go that far towards the front (but there is a "lip" that keeps going all the way to the front, just like the MIX Porsche 962).

It was brought back to life as a hobby/sport class with a high gentlemens agreement factor. The charme and sportyness of the old days were cherished a lot.
And while I'd personally like things to go towards something that could become raced at high levels (which is why I'm currently focusing more on 200mm pan cars, with modern designs, for example), I completely understand approaching it as a hobby/sport class, trying to recall good memories of the old days (including using a maybe less efficient body, but that "looks right"). Having fun is important!

What I found a bit confusing was where the line was drawn, if it was a technicality, when I saw other bodies such as the Team Saxo, which do have a similar style of spoiler and side dams. I think the main difference is that the Team Saxo bodies were scaled up from 1/12th bodies, and while those are indeed "designed to win", they have more limitations in the rulebook (PDF, section 4.1.4, notably length J and O, for example) than the IC cars seem to have. So in consequence, the scaled up Team Saxo bodies are "designed to win", but (a bit) more reasonable.

Interestingly, some nice Pro10 bodies like the MIX Porsche 962 have "lips" that would not be allowed with rules similar as those for 1/12th bodies, and don't think I haven't noticed the slightly weird "bend" just in front of the windscreen, so they have some aggressive design features, while still looking quite good (one thing I find ugly myself is when they "shrink" the cockpit canopy to the bare minimum, as they do on 1/12th and IC bodies).

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
I edited my previous post to better explain myself, by blowout I meant getting airborne. Rake is front to rear, like the rear portion of the body being deliberately higher than the front particularly the side pods and wheel wells and by extension the enormous side boards supporting the rear spoiler
Ah, thank you, I see what you mean now!

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
Try it! Do it! I did a plaster mould and it was sort of fun, I have a 3D printer and can print (technically...) body shell updates or ancillaries like gurney flaps or...
There's someone here that makes bodies, but they're reluctant to design new ones for classes that are not sufficiently popular in the UK, because making the mould is expensive, so I figure if I could make a decent mould, he could make the bodies.

I kind of like the Team Muso LM-P Type1, in terms of style:

It works fairly well, but it tries to be too realistic, and not practical enough for racing, I feel. For example, those notches on the sides (where the doors are), they look more realistic, but a smooth side would work better. And the rear deck is way too low above the pod, if you're not very careful when cutting and mounting it, you can limit the pod movement (which makes for funny handling mid-corner and when accelerating!), and the space for the spur gear is limited (okay for stock racing with a smaller spur, not good for modified!). That tiny wing at the rear looks realistic, but is completely hopeless in terms of downforce...

I'd make something in a similar style, but smooth sides, maybe with a small lip between the front and rear wheel arches, to keep more air on it (similar to the MIX Porsche 962), and give it a subtle rake towards the rear, so that the rear deck has more space under it (with a small bump for the spur, if necessary). It'd be interesting to see if the shark fin is of any help, so an optional fin would be good.

The Mon-Tech M10 has some similar ideas (the channels on each sides of the cockpit, for example, and the wing mounting), but has some problems I don't like (the nose is a bit poorly designed, bumpers are really hard to fit well, headlights get damaged all the time, the tail is a bit strange, the wing itself isn't very good at all).

As you can tell, I've got some ideas, and I'd really like if I could test some of them out! Doing it myself is a bit of a last resort, it'd be really amazing (and a lot easier!) if MIX, Mon-Tech, or Protoform just went ahead and made something like what I'm thinking of...
Old 08-24-2016, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

I feel this is time to reveal what were my models. The body will look like these beasts, I'm particularly proud of the middle to rear section as it was done mostly by hand

and when I was undecided between a low drag version...

and this is what I thinks it's the best compromise...

The wing end plates aren't finished but the entire car will look like the white one, hopefully!
Old 08-24-2016, 02:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Mr. 30tooth...

Keep me posted... You know what we are talking about
Old 08-24-2016, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

200MM Porsche 962 i was running on an Associated 10R5

Regards Roy

Old 08-24-2016, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Will do Mr. Joost, I'm ahead of schedule actually

Mr. Roy, the body is good looking but the lighting doesn't make justice to it, try using some white A4 sheets beneath the car and behind should make it pop a bit more
Old 08-25-2016, 01:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Pro10noob
200MM Porsche 962 i was running on an Associated 10R5
Here's mine, split wing version, I'll let you guess the car :

None of that WGT front-engined nonsense!
LOW ET likes this.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:05 AM
Tech Addict

Nice pics 30 tooth. I like the white one as well.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Planning on making a whole bunch off these.

This is a 10L2 chassis that is specifically designed to use 1S lipos or saddle packs. Direct fit for all associated parts and 8-32 screw front ends.

Message me if your interested.
Attached Thumbnails Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion-bod-chassis-1.jpg   Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion-bod-chassis-2.jpg  
Old 08-25-2016, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bigdaddyswank

This is a 10L2 chassis that is specifically designed to use 1S lipos or saddle packs. Direct fit for all associated parts and 8-32 screw front ends.

PM sent
Old 08-25-2016, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bigdaddyswank

PM sent also.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pphaneuf
Here's mine, split wing version, I'll let you guess the car :

None of that WGT front-engined nonsense!
this is nice! does the wing mount to the body or the rear pod?
Old 08-25-2016, 03:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by LOW ET
this is nice! does the wing mount to the body or the rear pod?
Thanks! It mounts to the body, similar to a touring car body.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.